PDA

View Full Version : Good Bass Fishing

woolybugger
17-07-2006, 01:10 PM
Hi all,

Went Bass fishing on Saturday with Kilkenny where we had one of our average days on the lake, with approx 30 Bass each. As you know the weather wasn't the best, with rain pockets making their appearances however didn't interfere in the slightest. We found heaps of schools of Bass and thanks for the new fish finding technology, it was just a case of motoring along until we found a likely school and if we didn't catch anything within a few minutes then went to the next one until we did.

We used most methods of fishing from fly, lures and soft plastics and caught on all techniques, but the terminator snap back again came up trumpts. All fish averaged between the 25-40cm mark with a whoppa of a fresh water jewy or catfish being landed by myself.

The water temp was 16oC and most fish being hidden away in the small bays in the slightly warmer water, with the bigger ones being on the points in deeper water, to 9m.

Sorry about the photos fellas, but this is our secret winter spot.

woolybugger
17-07-2006, 01:11 PM
And myself with one, the photo never does them justise.

Smailesy
17-07-2006, 03:50 PM
nice fish mate

BassCowboy
17-07-2006, 05:43 PM
Smailsey

Where are your Bass Photos???

The Cowboy

17-07-2006, 08:53 PM
which dam were you fishing mate?

Matthias
18-07-2006, 10:11 AM
Nice healthy looking bass mate. Well done. :)

Pete.

woolybugger
18-07-2006, 01:47 PM
Yes I agree, the Bass that we catch here are always very healthy looking and always plump or fat.

We examined their mouth contents and they had been gauging themselves on small bony bream.

Awoonga
18-07-2006, 07:24 PM
Wooly l find it strange.....well kinda... You asked us about the best spots to fish Awoonga... what to use ect ect... We obliged....Now it looks like the boot is on the other foot......You blank out the background ????

TinarooTriumph
18-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Nice fish mate.

Some guy will come along and post the name of the dam ;D Im almost certain of it. Must be a good spot if you have to 'fuzz' out the background.

TT 8-)

ibbo
18-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Good sesh mate 60 bass thats good going

Wheres the photo of the catty?

Cheers

IBBO

grenadier
19-07-2006, 08:54 AM
yeah wooly this site is about sharing mate so everyone can catch fish

bit selfish i reckon

woolybugger
19-07-2006, 09:47 AM
Sorry Awoonga, my apologies, I forgot to put in that we were fishing at the ellusive Barumba Dam near Imbil. I had to blank out the background, because I was sworn to secrecy by my fellow Fly Fishing Club buddies on the exact location, I value my life as they say. But I had to post the report anyway.

I fully understand why fisherman keep their best fishing spots secret, but on a lighter note, it actually makes me laugh, its like a dog and its favourite bone.

As you did last year Awoonga (thanks again), I am very obliging in giving as much information to assist my fellow fisho's, however don't ask me the exact location of this spot, unless you have my personal email address (hint, hint!)

As they say, "Uru from the Guru" and "tight lines!!!"

woolybugger
19-07-2006, 09:54 AM
Sorry Ibbo, no photo of the Cattie.

I estimate it being around the 2kg mark, but saying that my estimation of weight is like the one armed fisherman, saying it was this big.....!

I always see alot of locals taking out and eating these fish and I was telling my mate that by putting it back into the water, I would probably be hunted down by these old locals like an old fashion witch hunt (ha ha)

I personally think that catties are not worth taking a photo of, sorry to offend anyone out there.

It was my second one caught on a soft plastic and actually put up quite a fight.

gidget
19-07-2006, 09:17 PM
Well tinaroo, the dam is baroon pocket. I'm the idiot who first took woolybugger up there. The long & short of it is that only ten boats are allowed on the dam at any one time, electric motor only , boats need to be inspected by the ranger and there is a $5 fee for electric motored vessels, no lead allowed etc, etc. Normally I am a good judge of character and you are welcome to come fish it with me when you are down this way. Maybe that will shut up the nutters who think that this they have some sort of ownership to the impoundments that they fish in . As for wooley........normally I'm a good judge of character...................

gidget
19-07-2006, 09:27 PM
Ewen maddock bass taken yesterday on fly ....It'll pull a baroon bass backwards

gidget
19-07-2006, 09:33 PM
Now that's a real 2kg vermin bass .

woolybugger
20-07-2006, 09:36 AM
Gidget, gidget, gidget,

It was just a matter of time when someone had to turn it into a slagging match... typical of some thoughtless people.

1. AS I SAID!!! We were at Barumba Dam near Imbil, not Baroon Pocket. I haven't been there for over 6 months and if it was I would of said. And if fellow fishos do want information on this Dam, then send me a PM I am more than happy to pass on my experiences and knowledge, its no big secret...
2. As you said in your witch hunting post gidget, yes you are the "Idiot!"
3. Before you start slagging and attacking other people gidget, you really need to get your facts right and not assume. And if you want to attack people and try to discredit their creditability, then you might want to do it in person and not in the safety of your own home. I really think some people have too much time on their hands.

Everyone reading this post, lets not make this into a huge drama like other posts do, we are big buffy fishing blokes (well some of us) who want to express our fishing stories and not get attacked by thoughtless people, thats what wives are for (ha ha). Sorry all you woman out there, a figure of speech.

Bundy_Burp
20-07-2006, 11:07 AM
Now thats a decent sized bass and healthy looking to

woolybugger
20-07-2006, 11:24 AM
Yes I agree, Bundy-Bear (nice name by the way)

The Bass here have always been healthy, but have never got over the 42cm mark in this Dam. I also managed a small toga who didn't look as healthy, maybe due to the time of year I don't know. I caught the toga on a piece of stir fry meat on a shrimp hook with a small suicide hook to keep it from going into a ball and was dangling 1.5m under a float. I remember a session about a year and a half ago in the same lake where I caught over twenty togas using this method, I was quite amazed that this bait would work after seeing some kids catching togas using this same method. So if there yourself, give it ago and see how you go.

woolybugger
20-07-2006, 12:49 PM
As you see, great structure at Barumba...

TinarooTriumph
20-07-2006, 03:56 PM
BORUMBA

[smiley=hammer.gif] [smiley=bomb.gif] [smiley=book2.gif]

TT 8-)

Canoedle
20-07-2006, 04:23 PM
What was that you were saying about too much time ? ... :o

Awoonga
20-07-2006, 05:33 PM
MMMmmm sounds like Christmas cards wont be exchanged between the Gidget and Woolybugger households this year.... :o :o :o

Canoedle
20-07-2006, 06:23 PM
;D

gidget
20-07-2006, 07:40 PM
You guys still don't get it . The deceiver has been thrown by wooly bugger, in more ways than one . I don't intend to make enemies but I hate bullshit.

Awoonga
20-07-2006, 07:48 PM
We could go on and on about this.... but lets not ... Subject closed

gidget
20-07-2006, 08:12 PM
I had a few photos of Borumba and baroon to show some non believers but you are right Awoonga. The most important thing to learn from chats is the why,how and when not the where............These crustaceans were " caught on live bonies".......Don't know why I didn't take a photo of them when they were hanging out of their mouths?........The hardest thing tonight is working out which one is gidget and which one will never be buggered......love dave ;D

Canoedle
20-07-2006, 11:06 PM
Funny looking redclaws ::)

woolybugger
21-07-2006, 08:43 AM
HA HA HA HA! Good work... Great stuff...Nothing like a heated discussion... but you are all right - CASE CLOSED!!!!!!!

See you all on the water soon, you too Mr Hine... >:(

manangatang
21-07-2006, 08:56 AM
gidget dont know what your story MATE is but i,ve pm you regarding a certain topic and you dont even bother to answer,if you ask me your the suss one ! :-/

Canoedle
21-07-2006, 12:38 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/NakedGun/stupid.gif

Archer
21-07-2006, 01:01 PM
;D ;D

tiges
21-07-2006, 02:20 PM
Interesting little bit of argy-bargy between gidget and wooly. Think if your gonna do a report, you've really gotta mention which impoundment it's at. Don't have to say where abouts on the dam you caught 'em, usually you won't give too much away. Maybe wooly should repost the pics without the camoflague background. Regardless doesn't look like Baroon to me, sit's in a pretty deep valley, hard to get a pic without getting hills in the background.

But anyway, coupla nice fish there boys. Big tail for a fish that size that your holding there wooly, love the way he's all arced up with his fins out. And definitely gotta agree with you gidget that the Maddock bass pull harder for their size than any bass I've caught anywhere else. Got one there a few weeks ago and thought he was gonna be the biggest I'd caught in there on account of the performance he put on. Turned out to be one of the smallest I'd caught in there at 39cm.

Cheers
Tiges

gidget
21-07-2006, 08:03 PM
Why hate someone when they havenot seen this supposed PM.... Manangatang. Lake Mcdonald is abig secret to those who have just discovered it . Maybe join the stocking group and you might have some sort of ownership.Who wants more photo's ?

gidget
21-07-2006, 08:08 PM
Tiges this net will stop the eye damage when they wack their head against the hard floor

akman1
21-07-2006, 08:10 PM
I've only ever caught river bass and the smaller ones always seem to fight harder