PDA

View Full Version : Tweed River Bass Report

Toppy
29-07-2006, 05:46 PM
Hi Guys, I had a few hours this morning spare which made a nice change from the J.O.B. & decided to head down to the Tweed River above the Weir.
I just wanted to test my latest purchase, a Blue Herron 9 inflatable one man boat. Its been disapointing not to be able to use it untill now but thanks to a break in the weather I was able to christen my new toy.
Got to the River about 5.45am and after about 15mins I had the boat assembled & was on my way Paddle Power. My rowing skills were a little rusty so after 10mins of going in circles I was pleased to be going in an almost straight line. :-[ Well maybe as straight as a dogs hind leg ;D
It was a cracker of a day, clear blue sky & not a puff of wind!
I launched upstream of the weir at Murwillumbah near the bridge on the way to Uki & paddled my way down stream fishing as I went.
The water quality was a bit dirty after the rain with a bit of weed on the surface too. This made it hard to fish certain structure as the surface debris was just to anoying. It was a bit slow first up & all the normal fallen timber snags didnt produce the goods. Today the action was all close to the bank in where there was an overhang of living trees just over the surface. Cast a lure as close to the bank as possible & work it slowly back under the overhang. This gave me the best results out of everything & believe me the fishing was far from action packed. 5 surface strikes & only landing 2 fish was the best I could do in 3 1/2 hrs. It was a very pleasant morning on the water I got a few fish tested my new toy & even got to see a couple of Platypus.
It just doesnt get any better! :)
My lures of choice were Eddy Surface Busters & Hedon Tiny Torpedo & found top water lures less frustraiting in the weed.
Cheers for now
Toppy