PDA

View Full Version : My First BIG W Bass! :) 02/07/06

Canoedle
03-07-2006, 09:02 AM
Met up with a fellow kayak nut at Logan's Inlet, I got to the ramp just after 2pm, a bit later than scheduled, to find John paddling not far from the ramp, gave him a wave and hurried about getting the Esprit in the water.
John put the water depth in the ramp inlet at just under 3m, not too shallow for a fish, but I suggested we head for some deeper water and we paddled off slowly trolling towards the old river bed.
John's sounder showed bait all over the place and a few sizeable fish around them, after one solid hit on the diver I was trolling, I was keen for some action.
Not long later the Pflueger bent over and the drag slowly zipped out and I was on, soon after a medium sized catfish came to the side of the yak. Pliers and cutters quickly removed the nasty bits and it stayed in the net. (I had promised Mum some fish for a stock) On we paddled. Things were quiet from then until we reached the deep water. 6m became 7m, then 8, then we were at the river bed where we met a guy with a small child in a canoe with outrigger and lekky. The guy quickly let us know he had not landed anything, but had got some hits along a cliff then fell straight into the deep water of the old brissy river bed, it was another few hundred metres, so after a quick stretch of the legs we paddled over to the cliff, got over taken by some guys in a punt, John said g'day and we kept on towards the cliff. John got a few hits on plastics right up by the cliff and as the wind died away completely the water went glassy and the sun started to disappear behind the hills. We tried a few tactics, plastics, divers, poppers, but not a sausage. John packed it in and watched me make a few casts then paddled off towards the ramp in the failing light.
I was a little disappointed, but thought I'd try the Jackall as a last resort.
I started paddling to get a good speed up, cast out the jackall and dropped it in the berkley rod holder. 15m later, bang, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, I struggled to get the rod out of the holder and began to fight this animal fish. This wasnt a catfish I thought, although doubt was in my mind, then I felt a solid head shake and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz two more runs and a bit of dancing under the yak and a solid bass was eyeballing me from the water, thoroughly buggard by this stage I had no trouble guiding her into the net, and let out a loud WOOHOO!
Grant Kenny would have been proud of my efforts on the way back to the ramp as I overtook the guys in the boat and John as they were having a chat. Still buzzing, my first Big W Bass, and it went 50cm, a PB from the kayak too. :)
Will post pics when I get a chance to get em off the camera. ;)

Fishin_Dan
03-07-2006, 09:07 AM
Great work Karl!!! Can't wait til I can join you in these silent attacks... One week to go ;)

Archer
03-07-2006, 12:31 PM
Top stuff Karl looking forward to the pics mate...Now you will have to teach me how to catch these silly freshwater Bream! :D

Canoedle
03-07-2006, 12:33 PM
;D Heaps better than any silly Bream m8, I've caught some big bream, but none of em ever faught like this thing, it really put my 2-5Kg pflueger rig to the test.

Canoedle
06-07-2006, 06:23 PM
And here's the pictures.... at last. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/NakedGun/FishyPics006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/NakedGun/FishyPics003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/NakedGun/FishyPics007.jpg

Dodge41
08-07-2006, 03:40 PM
Karl
I've heard that dogs can look like their masters; is there a similar relationship between fish and angler? ;D ;D

Canoedle
08-07-2006, 04:55 PM
;D You owed me that one, ya old bugga! :P

elephrez1
10-07-2006, 04:30 PM
well done

slyman
30-07-2006, 08:20 PM
its those wendy harmers again! fished there on thursday arvo before all the rain, no luck though. No boat either! its a long hike from camp logan. Six pack and a cut lunch kind of trek. sunset was fantastic though.

roz
03-08-2006, 10:14 AM
Hey Canoedle,

I am sorry to say this, but at the end of the day the fish caught you, not the other way around. You will probably find you are now a bass addict.

Great effort, they are fantastic fighters regardless of their size.

When I bass fish I always use the canoe, although it's been a while due to a maintenance issue.

Looking forward to more bass pics now!

good luck r

Canoedle
10-08-2006, 09:36 PM
Hey Canoedle,

I am sorry to say this, but at the end of the day the fish caught you, not the other way around. You will probably find you are now a bass addict.

Great effort, they are fantastic fighters regardless of their size.

When I bass fish I always use the canoe, although it's been a while due to a maintenance issue.

Looking forward to more bass pics now!

good luck r
Cheers Roz,
I'll be fishing Wivenhoe regularly as I've just started a business up that way, and yes, the old bass has certainly got my attention, and now that my NQ trip is out of the way I'll be focusing largely on these big W brutes. Myself and a bunch of other kayak nuts will be up there this weekend having a bash at em, so here's hoping they're going hard.