PDA

View Full Version : Tweed River Bass Report

Toppy
29-07-2006, 05:50 PM
Hi Guys, I had a few hours this morning spare which made a nice change from the J.O.B. & decided to head down to the Tweed River above the Weir.
I just wanted to test my latest purchase, a Blue Herron 9 inflatable one man boat. Its been disapointing not to be able to use it untill now but thanks to a break in the weather I was able to christen my new toy.
Got to the River about 5.45am and after about 15mins I had the boat assembled & was on my way Paddle Power. My rowing skills were a little rusty so after 10mins of going in circles I was pleased to be going in an almost straight line. :-[ Well maybe as straight as a dogs hind leg ;D
It was a cracker of a day, clear blue sky & not a puff of wind!
I launched upstream of the weir at Murwillumbah near the bridge on the way to Uki & paddled my way down stream fishing as I went.
The water quality was a bit dirty after the rain with a bit of weed on the surface too. This made it hard to fish certain structure as the surface debris was just too anoying. It was a bit slow first up & all the normal fallen timber snags didnt produce the goods. Today the action was all close to the bank in where there was an overhang of living trees just over the surface. Cast a lure as close to the bank as possible & work it slowly back under the overhang. This gave me the best results out of everything & believe me the fishing was far from action packed. 5 surface strikes & only landing 2 fish was the best I could do in 3 1/2 hrs. It was a very pleasant morning on the water I got a few fish tested my new toy & even got to see a couple of Platypus.
It just doesnt get any better! :)
My lures of choice were Eddy Surface Busters & Hedon Tiny Torpedo & found top water lures less frustraiting in the weed.
Cheers for now
Toppy

Toppy
29-07-2006, 05:52 PM
First Bass

Toppy
29-07-2006, 05:54 PM
Second Pic

Toppy
29-07-2006, 05:58 PM
new boat

Toppy
29-07-2006, 06:00 PM
last pic

Jeremy87
29-07-2006, 06:14 PM
Mate thats a wicked little boat. any day that you pick up a wild bass is a good day.

flickflack
29-07-2006, 06:42 PM
She looks the goods mate. ;)
Just need some more rowing practice. Maybe that rowing ;) club on currumbin with all the lovely ladies will give you some lessons ;)
Rod

Big_unit
29-07-2006, 10:28 PM
Whats the max capacity of that boat in kilo's ?

Cheers
James

Toppy
30-07-2006, 06:46 PM
Thanks Jeremy, Yeah I love it too & wild bass are pretty rewarding!

Flick flack, you are always trying too lead me astray mate, besides those woman down there will only show me up with there fitness & skill on the water. ;D

Hey James, I'm not sure about the max load but will find out, I believe there are larger models available in the States. I way about 80kgs & you could put a deep cycle battery & electric motor on there aswell. The pontoons are about 7foot long & about 300mm in diameter.
Will let you know more after I talk with Simon, the guy that imports them!
Cheers
Paul

Matthias
30-07-2006, 11:22 PM
How much did that set you back mate? It looks comfortable and if you could fit it with some foot paddle doobies like in the Hobie kayaks it would be perfect.

Pete.

Toppy
31-07-2006, 09:35 AM
Pete I totally agree about the propulsion system, I had thought that also!
It cost about $1100.00 & comes out of the States so the price can vary a little with the exchange rate.
It blew me away just how stable it was & that it could float in 4" of water with me on it.
Just Incredible!
Will try it with an electric next time, maybe at Hinze Dam or Clarie Hall.
Cheers
Paul

Smithy
02-08-2006, 03:27 PM
Looks like this guy beat you with putting an electric on.

Redneck fishing boat!

flickflack
02-08-2006, 04:26 PM
Smithy

Have you seen the other pics that come with that one , some of them are pretty good :D

Rod

T-roy
03-08-2006, 05:31 PM
Hey Toppy, how much does a set up like yours cost.

Thanks T-roy

Smithy
04-08-2006, 04:24 PM
Rod,

Send them to Paul and he can send them to me although I think my e-mail address is on my profile. Not too many e-mails gettting around I haven't seen. If you are talking about the Redneck Houseboat etc., probably.

john_steward
04-08-2006, 06:56 PM
awsome toy

BlitzBaga
06-08-2006, 03:47 PM
Toppy

Here I am telling all the guys that you are getting an American type bass boat, I hope this wasn't it. Can you give Broll a ring some time he said he wants to catch up.

Cheers
Murray

Toppy
06-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Hey Troy, This one cost me just over a Grand but was sold to me at mates rates & I have agreed to let Simon Board the importer, use of the rig to demonstrate with it when he is out of stock.
Simon is a good bloke & I'm sure he would do you a good price!
I would recomend not getting the oars, rod holders & flippers which may keep the price down. The Oars are good quality & come appart but they are heavy & awkward to use. I will try and adapt a similar Kayak type paddle that also seperates in the middle & is lighter. I think for me this would be more comfortable to use for longer periods.
Cheers
Toppy
Send me a P.M for Simons Mobile phone #

Rob thats a sexy looking ship mate, I think that may have been a prototype for this one 20 years ago. What do they say, "necessity being the mother to all inventions".

Yep its lots of fun, I cant wait to catch a Barra from it. I better take a sea anchor that day. ;D

gregdeeth
16-08-2006, 01:27 PM
cool machine