PDA

View Full Version : Tinaroo 26-27/08

Bad_Bubby
27-08-2006, 10:43 PM
Hey guys. Just returned from a weekend at Tinaroo. The plan was to meet my brother who had prepared the boat and supplies. Then once on the lake, load up on redclaw and go for a session of lure casting with appropriately named member 'Tinarrotriumph' (Theo). We had heard the fish were hanging deep and trolling was the way to go. So most of Friday night was spent shivering away in the centre of the dam trying to navigate in pure darkness. This wasn't much fun so we pulled the pin and got stuck into some beers.

I arranged to meet Theo Saturday arvo after my brother and I had done some more fruitless trolling. The upside was our redclaw catch increasing each time we dropped the pots off. I didnt realise how much fuel we had used so when I began fishing with Theo it was a bad feeling when the engine conked out. Amazingly a road was about 30m away (very lucky), my brother was on the way with fuel and we set off again. Once again, no results but Theo mentioned the fishing was often slow in the section we fished. This morning we planned to concentrate on casting in the Yungaburra side of the dam as trolling was really not giving me much hope. We set off about 9am after another good redclaw gathering (this time with a full fuel tank). Theo and I cast some shallow divers to a patch of rubble/timber in 4m of water when we had finally traversed the bulk of the dam from Kairi. It was a great looking day with clear weather. It only took 20 minutes before my rod loaded up. I began loosing drag into some open water behind the boat before an chunky fat barra exploded. We could not believe our luck. The fish hugged the bottom early then did some surface headshakes while slowly creeping towards structure. Thankfully it ran out of steam about 1m before a patch of timber and I turned it boatside. Once on board it was a triumphant feeling to have nabbed another nice sized barra in my new boat (2nd one in past 3 weeks).

We talked about taking a couple of quick snaps and a quick release until I saw where it was hooked. All three sets of trebles were deeply embedded in the gills with about 500ml of blood already on the deck. It was nearly impossible to lift past knee height but we managed to get some pics. We thought it would be worthwhile to do a weigh in at the Holiday Park afterwards as Theo would not mind keeping the fish for the table. Once there we eventually (after some considerable effort) carried it from the Kairi pontoon to the scales. It weighed 30.2kg and measured 123cm. A dream result as I had already had an enjoyable time in the good weather before the barra. We went back on the Dam about an hour later but could not repeat our earlier effort. In all we got 40 redclaw to compliment the barra. Hope you like the pics.

Bad_Bubby
27-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Some redclaw

Bad_Bubby
27-08-2006, 10:48 PM
Some cooked redclaw

Bad_Bubby
27-08-2006, 10:50 PM
Barra onboard

Bad_Bubby
27-08-2006, 10:51 PM
Reason why we didnt release

Bad_Bubby
27-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Theo and I with the barra straight after capture. Very difficult to lift alone.

Bad_Bubby
27-08-2006, 10:55 PM
Last one...Theo and I weighing in at the Kairi Holiday park.

a_big_red_1
28-08-2006, 12:58 AM
hi BB, nice barra mate :o we were up there on the weekend also, but with no luck, i just started a new topic in the freash water section on dead barra, did you come across and floating about?

Daz

Bad_Bubby
28-08-2006, 03:15 AM
Yeah mate we saw about half a dozen dead barra floating around in the arms around Yungaburra. Unsure what has caused the deaths but I would suspect people trying to release damaged fish.

TinarooTriumph
28-08-2006, 09:30 AM
Those pics turned out ace Dan. A good weekend out on the water, that fish of yours kept me awake all night mate!. Started cleaning and filleting it at 4:15pm, finished up at about 7:15pm ;D . One hell of a fish. We had a few fillets for tea last night, and they didnt taste all that bad with about the juice of about 10 lemons ;D .

It was a shame to see so many dead fish in the water as Daz stated, there were quite a few. Obviously some of the anglers that are fishing there recently arnt up to scratch with how to release a barra properly, which is a major dissapointment. And as for the bloke that raided my redclaw pots... >:( .

The afternoon session yesterday was abit of a dissapointment, with plenty of showings on the sounder, but they preffered sunning themselves in mid water rather then taking our lures. Lucky for us that monster took Dan's lure and made our weekend a success. Well done again mate, it's a beast!.

And If im right, you missed out on the 30lb record by about 1/5 of a kilo. Not sure if that current record of Ian Harveyson's 30lb pound record is a World Record or just a Tinaroo one, never the less it's a cracker of an effort.

Cheers,

Theo [smiley=guitarist.gif]

scuttlebutt
28-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Nice one dan, that's an incredible capture!

cheers,

steve

Richo1
28-08-2006, 03:39 PM
Fantastic Fish!! ;D Well done. I'll just keep dreaming about mine getting that big!

Oldsalt
29-08-2006, 09:58 AM
Bad Bubby

Moving to Yungaburra next month can't wait to have a crack at the Barra but I will be needing a few tips

Old S (Tom)

Big_Ren
29-08-2006, 09:25 PM
A beautiful fish Dan. You can certainly see why the big girl wouldn't have survived. At least she didn't go to waste. Sorry to hear about all the other dead barra. It will only get worse when the weekend warriors come to town.

Cheers
Paul

Fisher4life
29-08-2006, 11:00 PM
Fantastic fish!!!

what do the freshwater barra taste like, are they still good chewing???

mylestom
30-08-2006, 09:20 AM
Smaller fish under the 80cm with not a lot of condition.
Filletted and soak in ice brine mixture for 20mins to hour seems to work for us.
But on the last trip we only kept one small one out of the 50plus that we caught.
This trip intend to take the smoker up and try as well

Trev