PDA

View Full Version : Monduran long weekend

McCod
28-09-2006, 08:20 PM
Went for a long weekend fishing trip to Monduran last weekend Fished Thurs, Friday, Saturday then home Sunday after a few quick flicks in the morning....... This place is fast becoming the Faust of the south..... 22 Barra boated over the trip with aprox 13 lost due to jump offs pulled hooks etc. a few 900 mm and 850mm jobs #landed and a couple mtr plus jobs up to 1.1 mtrs with the rest going 650 - 700 mm with a few 1.2 mtr jobs that won the battles in usually less than 3 seconds. The best day was Saturday as i had 2 deckies with me Wife & daughter...... Little Gemma got into a few and squealed as the Barra jumped all over the place. Watching my little girl land fish is beter than all the mtr plus fish i"ve caught put together :).

#Cheers Les

McCod
28-09-2006, 08:24 PM
mtr plus

McCod
28-09-2006, 08:27 PM
1 of the 900's

Tropicaltrout
28-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Its a great felling to see your kids do what you do and get a great fish adds to the experiance good stuff mate, good on you and your girl ;).

TT

Big_Ren
28-09-2006, 09:09 PM
Thumbs up all round [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] Simply awesome Les.

Cheers and well done family.
Paul

scott_b
28-09-2006, 09:10 PM
Gday Les
The 110 looks a deep fish !. Is that an E.Grell rod in the pic ??.
I'm going up to Mondurran at the end of October ,so hopefully we can get one or two .
wamjam

McCod
28-09-2006, 10:26 PM
Gday Les
# #The 110 looks a deep fish !. Is that an E.Grell rod in the pic ??.
# #I'm going up to Mondurran at the end of October ,so hopefully we can get one or two .
# wamjam

Yeah mate it's a E. Grell B8-5. It's tops in the sticks for Barra..... and use the E.Grell B4-6 in the more open water's like Awoonga etc and the B4-6 backs up as a good Murray Cod rod ...... The fishing will be hot when ya get up there ;)

Cheers Les

blue-mako
29-09-2006, 05:03 AM
Good to see lots of Barra being caught early in the season. Hopefully it means the fish will be twice as good once Summer comes!

Troy

Awoonga
29-09-2006, 05:58 AM
Great mate [smiley=laola.gif] You are going to have to be very very carful when you take the Mossie up there ;)

ele-phrez
29-09-2006, 07:20 AM
well done. it looks like its going to be a big barra summer

Toppy
29-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Good on ya Les, sounds like a cracker of a trip.
Are you fishing the ABT rounds this year?
Cheers
Toppy

McCod
29-09-2006, 08:47 PM
Yeah Toppy! I don't think i can get off work for the Barra tour...... Gunna try and fish the Monduran leg of it as i get home 1 or 2 days before it starts? may even get up to Faust for the 2 days yet??

Trev..... it was my last trip in the Wildfisher and sold it on Tuesday night ,will miss it i think .... but i picked up the Mossie Sunday night and it looks awesome.... can't wait to wet it and get some fish on the deck :).

Cheers Les

TinarooTriumph
29-09-2006, 08:58 PM
Well done McCod and family. Monduran is really packing the punches of late - a mate of mine in Gin Gin has being doing well there aswell with 3 or 4 metre plus fish.

Bad_Bazza
30-09-2006, 01:48 PM
Well done Les,
I remember seeing two very happy ladies on your boat that day ! It was to tell if your wife or your daughter was happiest.
For my six days I only put 10 barra in the boat and lost 33 for the trip. Had another 14 bumps that did not hook up. Slick Rigs, B52's and Vipers did the damage for me. My best fish landed was 90 cm right on the money but I certainly lost fish bigger. My wife put one in the boat and lost six for three days on the water.
I really have some homework to do on leaders and have been doing a lot of reading since I got home! Hopefully the next attack in October will be a better average.
A question, what length Scorpions were you using?

Regards
Barry O

McCod
30-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Well done Les,
I remember seeing two very happy ladies on your boat that day ! It was to tell if your wife or your daughter was happiest.
For my six days I only put 10 barra in the boat and lost 33 for the trip. Had another 14 bumps that did not hook up. Slick Rigs, B52's and Vipers did the damage for me. My best fish landed was 90 cm right on the money but I certainly lost fish bigger. My wife put one in the boat and lost six for three days on the water.
I really have some homework to do on leaders and have been doing a lot of reading since I got home! Hopefully the next attack in October will be a better average.
A question, what length Scorpions were you using?

Regards
Barry O

Gday Barry! Most fish came from 125mm Scorpions in the 3 mtr model but when that didn't work...... went for size upgrade and put a 150mm Arafura Barra on. Gemma used the pink backed Arafura.... typical girly choice :) Leader systems are a headache :-/. Heading back up after the comp.... may C Ya up there!

Cheers Les

jimbamb
02-10-2006, 08:34 PM
Good stuff les.goin up this weekend. Dont want exact locations (unless you want to tell ;) but were u in the sticks or open water..
Hope to get half you got an ill be a happy man...

McCod
02-10-2006, 10:44 PM
Good stuff les.goin up this weekend. #Dont want exact locations (unless you want to tell ;) but were u in the sticks or open water..
Hope to get half you got an ill be a happy man...

Gday Jim! All fish came from casting to timber.... most of it vertical stuff in 12 to 35 feet of water with only a few comming from laydown timber in the shallow's. The fish are spread all over the dam at the moment, Any day now the trollers will be making a killing in the main basin as the Barra will be easy pickings! 58 cars at the dirt boat ramp the other day :o with an other 10 or so @ the main ramp..... good thing it's a big puddle ;)

Cheers Les

Roo
03-10-2006, 01:12 PM
Wow!
Les,
Myself and the missus were camped there a few days before you and we were quite overwhelmed by the enormity of the place. So much water to try and find the fish in. We had a little less success than yourself (1 fish 87cm from 5 sessions) but I am hooked now and I am now working to plan a second attempt. Our trip had only a few days of planning and research, real spur of the moment stuff, next time will be different. I am keen to try and tackle a few more next time.

Once again.....Wow

Cheers, Roo.

Barra_Hunter
03-10-2006, 05:15 PM
G'day Les,

Some great fish there. Enjoyed meeting you and Tania the other day - you have some great stories to tell.

The wildfisher is going well mate. Took it out a couple of times on the weekend - out to Mud on Saturday and the pin Sunday - proving a versatile boat already. Squire on Saturday and flathead and trevors on Sunday. Sure beats the old rig.

Bet you're dreaming of testing the new rig while you're slaving away at work!

Cheers,

Ollie

Smailesy
03-10-2006, 05:57 PM
great fish

McCod
04-10-2006, 02:20 AM
G'day Les,

Some great fish there. #Enjoyed meeting you and Tania the other day - you have some great stories to tell.

The wildfisher is going well mate. Took it out a couple of times on the weekend - out to Mud on Saturday and the pin Sunday - proving a versatile boat already. #Squire on Saturday and flathead and trevors on Sunday. #Sure beats the old rig.

Bet you're dreaming of testing the new rig while you're slaving away at work!

Cheers,

Ollie

G'day Oliie! Good to see ya christened it ...... Wonder it didn't go into shock mate..... being subjected to that salty stuff [smiley=laugh.gif] Yeah can't wait to wet the new rig!

Cheers Les

Barra_Hunter
04-10-2006, 08:50 AM
Yeah Les,

The salt really shows against the green hull!

Ollie

Bad_Bazza
04-10-2006, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the info Les. I will be up there from the 20th to 27th both October and November. Hope to catch up with you sometime.

Regards
Barry O

gismo75
04-10-2006, 06:17 PM
Hey guys, gonna be up at Monduran from around the 18th to 22nd October. Hope the fish are as excited to see us as we will be to see them!
Got the tackle or packed, reels re-spooled, ready to hit some great Barra! Hopefully! Fingers crossed!
Cya all up there and good luck!
Mel