PDA

View Full Version : Tailor Traces

Wayne
28-08-2001, 01:53 PM
First of all, well done Ausfish in creating an excellent Chat Board. I am sure this format will bring in more users.

I know some time ago Nugget was doing some research on types of Tailor Traces used around Australia. I don't know whether he came up with any results.

I would be interested to here from anybody on what type of trace has given them the best success for tailor fishing in the surf. I personally use three ganged 5/O's or 4 ganged 4/O's when chasing choppers on a mono trace using pillies or gar. For the big stuff I like 2 6/O's separated by split rings and swivels on a 60lb wire trace and use either a 9 ball or 10 ball running on the trace on top of the hooks. I am also partial to using flouro beads or a squid skirt especially on dark nights. This might sound heavy but tailor seem to like picking up a semi anchored bait in the surf.

I know there are a few Tailor experts out there. It would be good to here their ideas.

Cheers

Wayne

Zorba
30-08-2001, 05:27 PM
:) :) :)
Hey Wayne,
# # # # # # # # sounds like you're on the right track with the rigs you've mentioned. I mostly use 60lb Jinkia (or Surecatch- same line half the price) for chopper chasing, and once the sun goes down I'll change from gangs to either 2 snelled 6/0 down-turned eye ( for long strip bait) or a single 8 to 10/0 (for a chunk bait). With both of these larger fish rigs it pays to run 2 leaders in line (eg. mainline,swivel,40cm trace and ball sinker,swivel, 40 cm trace snood or snell to hook or hooks).
This second trace allows you to grab the ball sinker and run it up the trace to the swivel, for retrieving large fish without worry. Two top fishermen showed me this trick @ the Straddie Classic this year (they know who they are) and you can see the result on the front page of the current (sept) issue of BushNBeach.

:::Also Nugget Downie has a real good article on rigs/mentality in BnB.
Cheers......Zorba.
;D ;D ;D

imported_admin
30-08-2001, 06:25 PM
Wayne

The rig I use is a set of 3 or 4 x VMC 4/0's connected together with swivels, then a swivel, wire trace, swivel, sinker, swivel, main line. I find the swivels make it a lot easier and quicker to put on the bait. Have also found that some brands of hooks when ganged together can come out unless you close the eye right up, but this makes it difficult to gang the pilchard.

A quick scan of one of the 3 hook rigs
http://www.ausfish.com.au/knots/images/tailorrig.jpg

Some just use a single hook and a chunk bait though, personal preference i suppose.

Wayne
31-08-2001, 03:37 PM
Thanks Steve and Zorba for providing some feedback. Nugget's article in B&B was pretty timely. It seems a lot of anglers are experimenting a bit more now than in years gone past and all the rigs look like they will work. It just comes down to personal choice. I am going to experiment a bit next week.. I'm heading to Fraser.
Thanks again
Wayne

Tailor
03-10-2001, 05:50 PM
Wayne

The rig I use is a set of 3 or 4 x VMC 4/0's connected together with swivels, then a swivel, wire trace, swivel, sinker, swivel, main line. I find the swivels make it a lot easier and quicker to put on the bait. Have also found that some brands of hooks when ganged together can come out unless you close the eye right up, but this makes it difficult to gang the pilchard.

A quick scan of one of the 3 hook rigs
http://www.ausfish.com.au/knots/images/tailorrig.jpg

Some just use a single hook and a chunk bait though, personal preference i suppose.

Gday Steve,

That looks like a good rig.

Can I ask due to the swivels do you ever have any problems with the hooks working themselves loose because of the extra movement avialable?

Cheers

imported_admin
03-10-2001, 06:19 PM
Hi

Haven't had any trouble with the hooks working loose. They are put into the pilchard so they are firm from hook to hook. So there is no movement anyway, just as if you use a standard 3 gang rig, just a lot easier and quicker to re-bait using them with the swivels.

Darren_73
30-03-2008, 06:18 PM
what are some good lures for catching tailor mostly mac and long tail

cheers dazza