PDA

View Full Version : offshore jigging

fisho
27-11-2001, 02:49 PM
i'm interested in trying jigging offshore for some reefies and am hoping someone out there can recommend some suitable jigs for me to purchase - the area i plan to fish is offshore sunshine coast in depths up to 80 metres - any special techniques required?

adrian
06-12-2001, 08:33 AM
gday fisho
not having tried jigging offshore my guess on lures would be lazers and metal ( shiny ones ) lures that sink . drop the lure to near the bottom and fast retrevie a few meters and let drop again . you are breaking new ground by the numbers of reads and no replys . talk to the guys at inshore offshore on what lures might do the job and what line to use i'd use braid for your idea let us all know how you go

all the best for xmas
anzac

webby
06-12-2001, 03:06 PM
??? If your heading to the 80m zone tthis time of year, the
current the killer, plus your some 20k off the coast jigging at that depth you"ll need one hell of a weighted lure, most of time we're using a pound of lead to get yr rig to the bottom, or a floater rig with 6-10 ball sinker ,and if the current around 2.5 kts you'll have 100-150m line out around the 15-20 kg. I suggest you go into the closer reefs or jigg the shipping channel beacons towards caloundra. gneering shoals the blinkers but as i said at that depth, ive never heard of anyone trying it. best of luck

budge
08-12-2001, 11:48 AM
hi fisho

i know of a guy who goes offshore jigging up fraser island way. #He jigs to get bait for his spanish mackerel fishing but often comes across other species like red emperor, coral trout snapper and tailor. #You can buy snapper jigs from your local tackle shop and there are also the bait jigs he uses i think they are thirty pound line. #I got some and tried them out at some of the beacons in the bay caught baitfish and trevally and was gettin bitten of by what i think were spotty mackerel

hope that helps #:)

Muzzy
08-12-2001, 12:13 PM
Saw a bloke on the telly (fishing west australia) jigging for fish while others bait fished, they caught bigger than he did but he caught more fish... he was using a rather heavy raider type jig...

My self I haven't done it for reef fish only more over known travelly/queenfish haunt, and for those I prefer a buck tail jig with a bit of flash I tie my own and make them have pink heads (personal likes only nothing much in that) It isnt in as deep water as you talk but, reckon a bucktail jig with a spinner blade attached would do okay, have one here but yet to test...

From all acounts it works that bloke on the telly caught bump head snapper on em!

Master_Jig_Builder
15-12-2001, 07:48 AM
There are a number of jigs that will do that job for you and in 80 mentres you will need 12-16 oz jigs.

Glow head versions are better at that depth with a cut bait on the rear. If deep currents are strong then 24 oz jigs would be needed.

Here is an article I wrote a while ago and it includes some techniques. #Technique, along with the right jigs, #is the key to success, regardless of depth so have a read.

http://www.uq.net.au/demonjigs/oct_article.html

If you need more information then let me know. If you keep an eye on our Oz website then you'll see some Long Tom Jigs coming up in 2002.

The online catalogue address is below:

http://www.outdoorcart.com/demon/catalog.html