PDA

View Full Version : the unde-rated popper

mick
30-11-2001, 10:47 AM
poppers.

i used to laugh at people i saw buying poppers. now i know better it took me a few days of catching nothing to get the technique down pat but following are the species ive caught so far
barra: barra cant resist a popper especially at night
the elusive jack: praise be to jack
flathead: only in about two foot of water
australian salmon: while holidaying(fishing) in south oz
steelback salmon: back home
dogy mackrell: with plenty of berly.
so dont nock poppers till you've spent a few days in the mangroves with one. they get snaged a lot less and theres nothing like watching a big barra hover under your popper before booooof your drags pelling ...

Lucky_Phill
30-11-2001, 02:14 PM
Sounds like you've been " popping " central Queensland and north ??? I love lure fishing and in particular have taken to the poppa's in recent years. Had a lot of fun out at the Bunker Group and up at the Whitsundays. Just love those big Queenies and Trevors chasing the wood and smashing 'em. have to agree.....best fishing fun ever, ;D

Jason_L
06-12-2001, 06:08 PM
in looking at Popper lures can you guys recommend any sizes, colours, etc. they are 1 lure i don't have yet.

also
lucky phill... The Bunker Group. sounds familiar... Thats about 25 - 30 nm NE of Clairview isn't it.?

what have you caught out there. can you tell me some info about the area please. we've seen that area on the map (is that the green zone though). looks like a nice place to go fishing

We usually go to Avoid Island. bout 8mn from Clairview NE.
get some really nice fish there. depths to max of 25 - 30ft
Over at Aquilla we've found 2 nice bommy's at 60 ft water coming up to 40ft water. unfortunately we need perfect weather conditions to get there. as you would know the currents are very strong... 7knots.

mick
07-12-2001, 05:34 AM
THE BEST WAY TO TELL WHAT LURE TO USE IS TO FIND OUT WHAT BAIT FISH ARE IN THE AREA AND THEN JUST GO TO THE TACKLE SHOP AND FIND THE CLOSEST MATCH..........FISH ON 8)

Muzzy
07-12-2001, 06:21 AM
Mick,

that theroy is good but dont stick to it black and white...

I'm yet to see what a gold bomber looks the same as in the water, and they do work.

I think action of the lure is as important as the colour...

if you are in a location with a heap of boofing on the surface and mullets walking on water every which way then a popper is the go...

if its all subsurface then ya need to work the debth to get a strike... but also maintain some sort of resemblance to your given baitfish

Its a tricky one this lure debate...

Like this one grumpy old bloke said to me, we are talking about fish why and how could you work out what they like?

I find my results to be best when "I'm" comfy and have faith with what I'm casting...
that faith transends in to a better "work" of my lure thus with this better presentation I get more strikes etc

this is however my opinion and I am no expert at all, in fact I'm as far from an expert as ya can get, but I enjoy my fishing and always seem to stay entertained on the water thats what its all about.

FISHON

Muz

Slates
07-12-2001, 08:35 AM
G'day Mick.
I love fishing with poppers - do so every chance I get!

Had an awesome session on the queenies near whitsunday island casting 150mm poppers at a bommie. They were just about climbing over each other to get to it.

Just about the most fun you can have with your clothes on I reckon!

I've also had some consistant results casting poppers from barrages in the Mary river (NT). When there were no fish boofing so don't be shy to tie one on I reckon!

Another way to lose a few years off your life is to use crawlers for Murray cod.

Cheers, slates

Brett_Finger
08-12-2001, 04:32 AM
Mate,
up north in the russell river there is a fella who uses poppers only!
this guy nails everything from small JP's to Big Barra on them,and carries a range of rod rigged at all times for vairous circumstances.
Rod "Harro" Harrision, is know for his Popping and have seen himtake many, many species useing this methord on our excursions.
Hookin,Brett

Muzzy
08-12-2001, 06:57 AM
Slates Wrote:
"I've also had some consistant results casting poppers from barrages in the Mary river (NT). When there were no fish boofing so don't be shy to tie one on I reckon!"

Hope ya were using a single barbless hook my man...

thats a funny place the barrage some days all you need is a cork and a hook, others nothing but shads will work, and others hard boddied lures like nils masters...

Starting to fire now few mates have taken some nice fish from the freshwater side (salt still shut) when the salt opens its like KMART down there the joint is packed.

Next time head for the mini barrage my man...

Muz

Rumpig
12-12-2001, 04:15 PM
poppers are great things! I use them off the rocks almost exclusivly, but I make my own heavy ones (55-65gr) If these sound interesting to you, E-mail me and I'll tell you more.

Mick

Luke
13-12-2001, 02:54 AM
Hi Rumpig,
I would definately be interested to know what methods you use to make your poppers. I've just started making minnows out of plastics and it's becoming quite an addiction. Have had to cut open a few of my good lures to get ideas on how they get there bouyancy but easy enough to put back together. Let me know how you make them mate.
Cheers Luke

Master_Jig_Builder
15-12-2001, 07:52 AM
Yep the popper is never to be under rated and like many others I love fishing with them too.

I make them up out of pearl mylar and just a single hook on the rear. Tough as nuts cast or trolled.