PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater lure fishing gear

wsong
08-01-2002, 04:00 PM
Dear all,
I am interested in taking up lure fishing to catch breams but someone tells me I need to get a new rod+reel.
I am currently using 7ft powertip. Apparently the tip is way too stiff to cast small lures.
Why can't I attach sinkers to cast it far?
Can I still use my existing rod to catch breams?
And how should I set up my rod?
BTW, I usually fish in Hawksberry river in NSW on a boat (if this helps.....)
Many thanx in anticipated response!

WS

adrian
09-01-2002, 04:40 PM
hi wsong
i'm not too sure on your rod type . one with a soft tip is easier to feel when your snagged on things .
if you use sinkers on your lures if no when you get snagged ( it happens to all of us :) ) you can use a tackleback to get the lure back as the tackleback comes down the fishing line and hooks on to the lure so you can save it . with a sinker this becomes an non event and you loss the lure and sinker :'( . you can use your rod to catch bream as is , you didn't mention what reel or line you use . I use a rod with a very soft tip and a spining reel , and troll with 4 or 5 lures out in a pattern of 2 on outriggers 2 in the corners and 1 out over the motor set way back all rods i use are different in size . it makes it hard to turn tight but with practice it's fun
to set up your rod depends on the type of reel you have.
hope it's some help
Anzac

adrian
11-01-2002, 06:33 PM
Dear wsong
To answer your rod and rell question, Yes you would be able to use your exciting gear depending on how you have it set up.
To answer your other question about adding sinkers to your lures, you would not be able to retrieve your lure in the case of a snag plus it would ruin the action of the lure resulting in not catching fish.