PDA

View Full Version : Interested  in  Jewies?Post  here!

Andrew
19-12-2001, 09:08 AM
Has anyone got some links to Jewfish specific pages?
Or any 'true' stories to tell for Dec 2001. I'm in the Illawarra and used to spend a lot of time chasing them in the Shoalhaven River, and occasionally the local beaches. I had a few good runs and I finally landed one ( 86 cm ) so I at least know they really do exist - I was starting to seriously doubt it there for a while. After that effort I gave up for a while and went after easier fish, but I am getting that urge again - you know what I mean!!! Andrew

Xfactr
21-12-2001, 02:38 AM
Andrew where you are should be infested with Jewfish!! I use to fish port kembla on wharf 6 and jew use to be there in plague numbers. This year I will try during the night on the boat with live bait
Cheers

Andrew
23-12-2001, 06:48 AM
Yes, I #have #heard #about #the #famous #wharf #at #Port #Kembla #for #jewies #but #unfortunately #due #to #yobbo #problems #it #is #closed. I'm #planning #to #have #a #go #off #the #end #of #the #breakwall #there. A #boat #near #the #wharf #should #be #good #too.
No, the #Shoalhaven #is #not #exactly #infested #with #jewies #but #they #are #there, mainly #schoolies #in #the #river #and #the #big #ones #off #the #beach, #river #mouth #and #the #wharf #at #Greenwell #point.
Not #even #the #experienced #blokes #get #one #all #that #often #though. I #have #pretty #much #picked #their #brains #and #know #what #to #do #and #where/when #but #my #problem #is #getting #the #time #because #I #do #shift #work #that #rarely #coincides #with #the #tide. #I've #been #using #lures #because #there's #less #prep #time #needed. People #have #been #caching #jewies #in #the #river #on #flies/lures #lately.The #one #I #got #was #on #a #live #mullet #with #a #5/0 #circle #hook #in #its #nose #and #no #weight, fished #at #change #of #tide, at #high #tide, in #the #canal #near #the #ferry, Comerong #Island #side.
Squid #at #change #of #tide #in #the #river #is #the #go #say #most #who #catch #them, or #livies/slabs. You #can #fish #the #entire #runout #tide #at #Greenwell #point #because #the #Crookhaven #and #the #canal #run #into #each #other #and #slow #the #current #down.You #catch #the #squid #at #Callala #Bay #near #the #boats.

***So, #how'd #you #get #your #jewies #at #Port #Kembla? By #all #reports #Port #Kembla #seems #the #most #reliable #spot #for #a #Jew.
Thanks #and #let #us #know #how #you #go #ot #Port #Kembla - I've #thought #about #moving #there ( for #the #jewies #not #my #health ).

fatman
25-12-2001, 05:33 PM
Hi guys,
I have fished for jewies in Port Kembla many years ago from the (now closed) No 6 jetty with some good results. The few that I have hooked up on could not be retrieved from the breakwalls due to nature of the place.
Have you tried the beach on Comerong Island ? We had a house on the far side of the island for many years and the beach where it meets the the breakwall would be one of the most consistant places that I have seen jewies caught (as well as drummer and big grouper) . I have not been there yet this end of the year, but last summer saw some big fish caught there (20+ kgs) :o
For smaller fish we drift on the runout tide from Greenwell point down to the bommie with live poddie mullet, as well as some small jews we have picked up some big flathead. Hope this helps
Cheers
FATMAN

Andrew
25-12-2001, 06:35 PM
Hey Fatman,
thanks for the info. I love drummer fishing. In fact drummer have been what I've been going for since I backed off from the jewies. I didn't know you could get them from the breakwall. I'll be going for both from there soon - I wonder if the big jewies would fancy a drummer head for dinner?

What part of the wall did you fish from? Is casting back to the beach any good ? Or drift a float out on low tide from the river maybe?

I have fished mainly from the coalwharf next to the carpark but not caught any there but I know schoolies are caught there. I have tried the beach but no success. I'm still learning how to catch beachworms, but was planning to target the beach more as thats where the big ones are, and you have more chance of landing it after the effort of hooking it.

There's a lot of side current on that beach and the gutter can run for miles before heading out to sea. I figured the wall would be a good place to fish but the trouble is I would have to either walk from Shoalhaven Heads or be out by midnight as the ferry closes - or I could stay all night I suppose.

Thanks for info, Andrew

ps

It must have been excellant to live on Comerong Island. Did Nat' Parks move you out? They shut down the units there. Did you know Bob the ferry driver?

Xfactr
26-12-2001, 07:31 AM
Hi Andrew we use to use live bait off the wharf, small yakka that is why we use to end up going there early. Live bait was the go without it forget it. We seemed to have more success using to hooks one on the back the other towards the tail.
Cheers

Andrew
26-12-2001, 07:06 PM
Livies are not usually a problem to get at Greenwell Point Wharf.

The only problem with livies is that the jewies play around killing them for a while. I've reeled in a few dead ones. But I think they're probably more likely to go for a live bait. At least the pickers aren't a problem.

If you use a fresh fillit you can also pick up nice, big bream and flathead as a bonus while you wait. I got my best bream on a mullet fillit and 5/0 circle hook.

I might put a fillit on the bottom and a live bait under a float and see what works on the night.

thanks, Andrew

fatman
28-12-2001, 06:06 AM
Hi Andrew,
Yes it was a top place to be a kid on Comerong Is. We hav'nt had a house there since the late 80's when our burn't down.(ours was the first house you came to on the other side) The lease has since run out, but we continue to go there mainly due to the lack of crowds and the fishing is not to bad either ;)
The drummer I catch there is from the breakwall on the southern end of the beach, fish the point and the beach side of the wall and use plenty of berly. The cunji that grows there is up to 10 inches long and there are crabs scuttling everywhere. There are some big blue grouper here at times so try dropping a crab bait down and hang on. If you are going to the point take a backpack because the there is no fill on or inbetween the rocks, so it up one rock and down the next and so on. (probably why not many fish there)
I usually start to fish where this breakwall meets the beach for jewies, but there are good gutters all along the beach, I use live poddies or slab baits.
As for Port Kembla, I don't go there much these days, mainly that it so hard to find a spot in amongst the Asian community, not that I have a problem with minorities, I do have a problem with people (any race,colour or creed) that put every fish, reguardless of size or species into the keeper bucket. >:( The northern wall (the oil or kerosene jetty) is still acessible, you just have to walk through the big hole in the fence. The port authourity has no problems with fishos being there, the gates were locked to keep the car hoons out. Try fishing the small point about 1/2 way along the coal loader, top tailor spot
Cheers
FATMAN
P.S The guys on the ferry have changed hands since I was a regular down that way and I am lousy with names, so not sure if it is Bob or not

Andrew
29-12-2001, 11:50 AM
Fatman,
# # # # # # thanks #for #tips, I'm #going #to #get #a #swag #in #case #I #get #stuck #over #there. I #only #just #made #it #back #when #I #got #that #jewie #the #last #time. The #ferry #guy #told #me #he #was #just #about #to #go #to #bed #when #I #got #there. I #think #he #will #get #out #of #bed #but #it #costs #you.
# # # # # # # # # # # # #thanks #again, Andrew
# # # # # # # # # # # #

stix
13-01-2002, 03:42 AM
I have a site about jew from the beach, if you are interested the site is http://au.geocities.com/im6662001

It is in need of updating though

cheers

shano
13-01-2002, 05:36 AM
hey stix cool site mate i will be using it and will keep informed how we go!!(when i find out where you can get them up here on goldcoast area!)