PDA

View Full Version : mangrove jack info!

shano
13-01-2002, 06:13 AM
here is some usefull info about mangrove jack that you might find interesting i did just click the link...http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/mangrovejacknews/8268.html

shano
13-01-2002, 06:24 AM
there is prizes for people that catch these fish and bring them to them they will get a FREE Halco lure. sounds good to me.

Travis
13-01-2002, 06:40 PM
Thats all we need someone offering free lures to kill Jacks >:(,they should be offering lures to the fisherman that catch one grab a photo and let it go.......

great sportsfish let em live.......especially on the Gold Coast

By the time they find out what they want to know they will be all gone........

Travis

krazyfisher
13-01-2002, 06:51 PM
travis
While I don't like kill and grill this is for the DPI to find out about growth rated I would hope that the only one that are taken in are the ones that would be eaten anyhow and no one goes on a jack killing spree

shano
14-01-2002, 11:52 AM
this is true krazy they are after the frames with gut contents intact!! ;D

shano
14-01-2002, 11:53 AM
maybe travis didnt read the article hmmmm!!

Brett_Finger
16-01-2002, 04:18 PM
Fellas,
i first started tekeing part in the DPI Jack Prougrame about 3 years ago. provideing genitc fin samples for the guys at fisheries research in cairns. (see latest QFM annual)
thes fellas do a great job travelling the coast from Bundaberg to cooktown electrofishing the systems tagging and monitering jacks!
so far all indercations are that these fish have a slow grouth rate with fish stablizing after the first few years to around 1" -11/2" a year .
so a leagle Jack is no spring chinken!
the prougrame has to my inderstanding been a great sucess.
Hookin,Brett

pilgrim
02-11-2010, 05:50 PM
While I catch and release almost all of my fish whatever the species, I don't think there is anything wrong with keeping one for a feed, and the fact it helps our understanding of there growth rates etc, by sending in the frames is a bonus.
But I do see Travis's point. It can send the wrong message to anglers, who shouldn't need any incentive to better our knowledge of Jacks.

randell
02-11-2010, 06:53 PM
here is some usefull info about mangrove jack that you might find interesting i did just click the link...http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/mangrovejacknews/8268.html

the link didn't work for me. couldn't find anything on DPI site about this offer...
Has anyone found the link?

randell

childers
02-11-2010, 07:00 PM
the link didn't work for me. couldn't find anything on DPI site about this offer...
Has anyone found the link?

Mate hes dug up a 8yo thread ,

but why?

whatscracken
02-11-2010, 07:38 PM
The thread is from 2002 fellas, the link is dead.

randell
03-11-2010, 06:47 PM
While I was searching dpi website , I downloaded a 199 page report on Mangrove Jacks in Qld , FRDC Project Number 1999/122, first published in 2003.
Should be good bedtime reading, only i don't take my computer to bed...
randell