PDA

View Full Version : downrigging live baits SE Qld

Jeremy
19-01-2002, 04:16 PM
I have recently made up a basic downrigger which I will be using to slow troll live baits such as scad and slimies offshore and in Moreton Bay. My question is whether to rig the live bait on mono or wire?. Wire is needed for the mackerel here in summer and autumn, but will the wire put fish such as tuna, cobia, mahi mahi etc off? I generally use 30 - 40 lb single strand brown wire for mackerel with 2 hooks when fishing at anchor.

Cheers,

Jeremy

jaybee
20-01-2002, 07:59 AM
Hi jeremy
My brother uses wire all the time when down rigging. He uses 7 strand and twists and heats it. He only uses 12 to 15 inches of wire and has caught all the fish you mention no worries at all. He only uses 15kg mono on the reel and depending if he is chasing mackeral or deep water the wire is the same strain or a little higher.
hope this helps
cheers

webby
20-01-2002, 02:29 PM
Hi #Have been using a home made dr for last few years, i run
120lb game mono as backing onto 135lb 7 strand stainless
black wire (seahorse), ive marked this at 3m intervals
so i know my depth, this runs strait to the 6kg bomb, (which
isnt heavy enought at times) 1m up from bomb i have a
very heavy 3 way swivel with 2m of 135lb wire finishing with
a clip, my main line is held on to this clip with a rubber band
1m leader of same wire onto 15kg main line. i found rubber
band break easier then the release clip you buy, #i use mono
as a leader once and got demolished #i say by a shark, but
since using wire no trubs since
regards # #

Smithy
23-01-2002, 05:19 PM
I would use wire all the time except for August - November when the chance of getting bitten by a toothy critter would be pretty slim. If I was targetting things like AJ's and was pretty sure no Mackerel were on that reef I might use mono as well. If you are fishing depths >50m your chance of a Mackeral encounter would be slim as well.

Chud Parker (pro fisher) who used to write in Fisherman & Boatowner Magazine always used wire when trolling. He said he caught all of his biggest Snapper trolling with wire when targetting Spaniards so don't let the thought of using wire put you off.

Wait till we catch up at the Brisbane SC Comp and you see Damon's Canon Digitroll IV and Russell Bowman's as well. Now they are downriggers!

Jeremy
24-01-2002, 08:54 AM
Thanks for all the opinions. I was pretty sure that wire was OK from reading Mark Stewart's stuff in B'N'B and from Zac Piletic's presentation at last years boat show. Actually I caught a nice longtail tuna on a live bait rigged on wire under a balloon a couple of weeks ago, but I thought that might have been a fluke.

See you at the Brisbane SFC comp Smithy, if I don;t see you before at the Bribie Is SFC comp.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Smithy
24-01-2002, 06:54 PM
Fishing BASSPro comp at BP Dam instead of Bribie.

Master_Jig_Builder
28-01-2002, 01:52 PM
Webby (and others).

I just noticed your comment about the 6 lb bomb not being heavy enough at times. There is a simple solution.

If you want to save your back and bucks then use a self leveling down planer instead. Oz made in two sizes. Details below:

http://www.outdoorcart.com/demon/downplanerau.htm

Let me know if you have any Q's.