PDA

View Full Version : what livies for barra and trevally at river mouths

brett99
25-01-2002, 03:49 PM
can u please help me out with choosing the right kind of livies for barra and trevally at the mothe of rivers and snags

Jack_Lives_Here
26-01-2002, 04:16 AM
Brett,
Live prawns are DYNOMITE. They should nearly be banned they work that well. Just what is in the system is what they will be feeding on. Generally mullet, herring etc.

Jack

brett99
26-01-2002, 11:51 AM
thanks for that info jack i am heading out tommorrow (saturday) chasing some barra, jack, fingermark and trevally at the mouth of the local river up here in townsville, i will inform you if we go good with the live prawn, mullet and herring we intend to catch thanks

Muzzy
26-01-2002, 06:18 PM
For myself mate I prefer mullet

will even use em up to 25cm long.

also sand whiting (no size limit in darwin classed as bait), small ock ocks, long toms and garfish

Prawns work well but they die quick for me and also ya only get one hit, I have caught 3 barra on the one mullet once and it still swam away...

SO for me its mullet they are the gun bait here in darwin some times its harder to get the bait than the fish even with a throw net...

Muz

Steve_Ooi
07-02-2002, 03:31 PM
like Muz i myself like using mullet for barra on most occassions, they tend to last longer and don't tend to get picked off by small unwanted fish as much...it a nice feeling pulling in a scaled mullet and its a nicer feel watching a barra take to the air with the your mullet somewhere in his gob...
As far as trevally go herring and prawn are my prefered option..herring put off a nice shimmer when swimming through the water with a hook out there back , and most trevs can't resist them...at times where you find the herring you'll usually find the trev not far away....prawn are another top bait for trevs, and the queenies can't resist them as well....

Muz, i know what you mean about getting bait, Sometimes i spend more time trying to catch bait than actual fishing....

Poon