PDA

View Full Version : NOT MONO

Heath
06-04-2002, 05:19 PM
Snapper season is rapidly comming here on the Goldcoast. This year I want to try something other than mono. I havn't used braid or fireline etc before, so I am unsure if it will be suitable. The type of fishing I will be doing is floatlining, the bailarm of the reel will be left open so line can flick off the spool at its own leasure, when I get a hit, I simply flick the bail arm over & the fish hooks itself.

Will any of the NON mono lines be suitable for this?
Also how should I set the drag, due to it having zero stretch. I usually use the 1/3 method, is this still the case with braid???

Stuart
07-04-2002, 04:05 PM
Heath how ya going mate? I use braid exclusively for snapper but prefure to use mono in shallow water say from 20mtrs and less. Deeper water i like to use 8kg hollow dacron by using this you can shoot a lenght of mono leader up inside the dacron around 150mm then whip the end. If you just use braid then you will need to run a short lenght of mono as well but in doing this you must run the sinker if using one directly above the hook. I fyou run the sinker on the braid then when you drop it down the sinker falls faster than the bait and the hook plus bait spins around the main line and you have one hell of a mess. Hope th is helps.

Stuart