PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about "the Pin"

Sweetlip
04-04-2002, 02:26 PM
Guys;

I am a three month newbie to boating and would like to try fishing at Jumpinpin but know very little about it other than you go from Jacob's Well to get there and that it has a great reputation for bream. So here are some really dumb questions...

Where exactly does one fish there? On Kalinga Bank?

I hear that the current runs very strong there. Does that mean that we are talking about dirty big sinkers.

Any safety issues with the current? Can I approach the Pin from any direction?

What is underneath? Sand? Grass? rocks, trees ?? Does a Danforth anchor do the job?

All advice gratefully accepted.

Sweetlip

aquarius
04-04-2002, 09:32 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm11.gifHi Sweetlip......Put your boat in at Cabbage Tree Point......its the closest ramp to the pin......yes the tide rips through the pin area........incoming your pretty safe just watch the outgoing....you will be outside in no time !!
I ve fished around the bar severel times but find it much safer to anchor up either at the bottom of crusoe or short Islands.
The bottom structure consists of sand ,mud and some snaggy areas........just a sand anchor will be fine.
Hope this info is of some use to you.
Cheers #Brent http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm9.gif

Sweetlip
05-04-2002, 03:12 AM
Thanks Brent. I appreciate the advice.

Sweetlip

Touchy - R.I.P.
05-04-2002, 04:28 PM
Sweetlip,If as you say you are a newie to the Pin I will offer you a small bit of advice,dont get tunnel vision about Kalanga by all means check it out 8),but you will go past a lot of top bream spots this coming winter on your way to the "bank"Tabby,Short,Cobby rock wall,over to the mud clumps,Tiger Mullet,Noname Isl.all with less run,plenty of holes/snags ect.If you get top fresh or live baits you will be suprised at the quality/size of some of the bream that can be found in some of the quieter areas & not a lot of deep water required either,the whole Pin area will produce for you if you want to do the "homework"(bite times/moon phases/tides),Jeeze I have'nt even mentioned burley,now that is another story completley,big/good bream catches & burley go hand in hand :-X.Enjoy the coming season.Touchy.><> ><>

Sweetlip
05-04-2002, 09:26 PM
Thanks Touchy. As I said, I have never seen the legendary place so I am eager to learn about it.

regards...........Sweetlip

adrian
10-04-2002, 03:34 PM
sweetlip
if you have not already got one then have a look at brownies beacon to beacon directory at good newsagents. it gives you a general look at what is there in map form names of islands places to stay . all the things to be able to get from a to b around the pin and south east queensland as well with ome place names added.
anzac

webby
10-04-2002, 04:52 PM
Hi As Anzac said a beacon to beacon book, or a good map
from sunmap will help you out greatly, as you can get lost
down there and ive seen it, stay to the main channels first
depending on your boat, and explore the no beacon ares
will a little caution, as the sand bars down there change
quite quickly. you dont need heavy gear down there, a good
4-6kg overhead or good 7' estuary with alvey or threadline
to suit , fish a lite a possible, the current down closer to the
mouth of the pin and main channel is fairly rapid especially
on big tides. good yabbie banks nth and sth of cabbage
tree ramp or at the mouth of the pin on right and side near
the sand dune, plenty of live bait moves through the area
so cast net or jig will acquire you some. both jacob wells
and cabbage tree have good ramps, jacob for windy wx
is best and cabbage tree if not so windy. take a trip to
explore the area first as it is a maze of islands and banks
as Touchy said there a numberous locations and some good
ones before you even get to the pin mouth or kalinga banks
weekends is usally a rat race down there with plenty of boats
and jet skies , get yourself a map first and explore first
the beacons are not lit at night except for the jacob well
channel and the main channel bedrooms south to the broadwater.
regards

Sweetlip
11-04-2002, 05:54 AM
Thanks fellas.

I recognise all of your advice as being good stuff.

I do have a copy of "Brownies" and unerstand how busy that area gets on weekends. maybe I shall take some hols soon so i can go there mid-week.

Many thanks. very useful stuff.

Sweetlip

craigie
13-04-2002, 10:34 AM
Hi Sweetlip,

Plenty of other good places to fish apart from Kalinga Bank.
I like to fish the shallow Sand (Yabbie Banks) areas towards the main "Pin" area. Pick an evening high tide and quietly get up in the shallow water close to any structure that may also exist in the area (mangroves, logs, rocks or Oysters).
Late May through till late July will consistantly produce good catches of Bream for an evenings fishing.
Yabbies are good bait, but also worth trying small flesh baits or Chicken Fillet !!!!

Cheers
Craigie