PDA

View Full Version : Catching prawns

Luke
25-04-2002, 08:09 AM
I've always used the little fish trap to catch prawns as my cast net wasn't a top pocket. I've just bought a 10 ft top pocket and am ready to try it out. Just down the pin recently I've seen plenty of small prawns near the banks but haven't seen the larger ones. Will I get the bigger prawns in with the small ones or should I be looking for them in deeper water. What are the best tides,times of day and seasons for prawns.
Cheers Luke

Lucky_Phill
25-04-2002, 04:36 PM
I tend to catch my prawns from the Prawn farm at Redlands.

Do you realize that once you hit 500 posts, you go back to zero and also a newbie ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Luke
25-04-2002, 04:38 PM
Only two more posts now ;D

fisho
29-04-2002, 01:58 PM
Luke - after full moon on run out tide. ;)

webby
29-04-2002, 05:41 PM
Hi Luke, First off try Wello pt pier at night, we have been
getting afew down there last couple of weeks, a few more
weeks and should be a better run coming thru, also now you
have wheels on water, go up towards the powerlines near
the junction to the logan , when the prawns are running
you can move up thee for boat and cast nets, need some
more rain to flush them out of the rivers.
regards

Jack_Lives_Here
30-04-2002, 12:31 PM
Get that net throwing sorted for Hinchy mate. You'll be able to get a feed every night up there. ;)
Don't eat the things myself but they make pretty good bait live.

Not many more sleeps now. ;D ;D

Luke
30-04-2002, 02:46 PM
Hey Webby and Fisho thanks for the spots and tides to try-will let you know how we go. Dave I've got the casting sussed - stay away form very rocky bottoms ;D. This is my third cast net so I'm gonna try and look after this one. Actually attempted to repair the last one and ran out of patience so if anyone wants it ??? they can have it. Won't be that hard to fix- half the sinker lines been torn off but I but a bit of stitching will fix it. How many sleeps left? :D
Cheers Luke

Jack_Lives_Here
01-05-2002, 05:36 AM
136 for me - BUGGER. ;)

Much sooner for you. ;D ;D

Fisherman02
01-05-2002, 03:37 PM
hi luke
if nobody minds ill have the cast net. It'll give me something to do (fixing it up).
no pressure
cheers jack

Luke
01-05-2002, 06:20 PM
Hey Jack,
yeh you can have it. I'll be working in the city from Thursday on so I'll organise to get it to you. It's just an 8 ft mono but I have an old 12 ft nylon you can have aswell. Full of holes though. Will keep you busy.
Cheers Luke

Fisherman02
02-05-2002, 03:11 PM
thanks luke ;D
when I fix them up ill catch ya some prawns from the brissi river ;)
thanks again
jack