PDA

View Full Version : Hawkesbury Fishing

bazboo
26-03-2002, 04:55 PM
Just got new (second hand) Savage with 20hp. Went to Berowra Waters and had bit fun trying out by going up towards brdges. Got 3 Soapies on drift. Any advice on spots if launched at Berowa Waters guys.???

SeanCasey
30-04-2002, 12:17 PM
Mate, i've never fished from berowra waters i used to put in at akuna bay, If you want the chance to catch some real big jewies heres what to do. Head to flint and steel point. and start trolling with 20gm casting lures, raptors are good (dont use the red/white ones they suck)troll slowly from the point in an Easterly direction (toward West Head) around 5-10 meters from shore, you shold get plenty of tailor, keep some live(5 or 6) and let the rest die, 5 or 6. Now everyone talks about fishing for jewies at night, but if its very overcast or even better, raining, during the day is good, ive caught 95% of my jewies in the middle of the day but NEVER on a sunny day! After you have your bait, don't bother with pillies and crap unless you have caught them. Head over to juno point (check your road map for these spots if you don'T know them). This is where you need a bit of planing, around the full and new moons are where you get the big tides, this is what you need, a tide of 1.2 runout or more, if you look at the geography of juno you will notice on the sothern side in these big runouts you get a big eddy, you need to anchore in this eddy, around 30mtrs SE of the point in around 30ft of water. You can fish here from the begining of the tide right through it. My biggest (30kg) came right in the middle of the tide in the middle of the day, (in the middle of the rain!) on 6kg line on a threadline so it won't matter if you dont have all the fancy gear! If you have 2 rods good enough, put out 1 livie and 1 butterflied dead bait, the bigger the better!! Don't bother with small cut baits if you want the bigger fish as you will spend to much time stuffing around with them. On the live bait have a big sinker to stop it wandering the bottom too much and fouling the other lines, On the dead bait use NO sinker you don't need it. If you do you aren't possitioned right or its right at the begining of the tide b4 the eddy forms. Be PATIENT you wont get a fish all that often but when you do it WILL be worth it, they fight great on the right gear. Good luck. BUTTERFLIED FILLET: cut the fillet from the tail to the anus on both sides stopping at the bum. Remove the tail section and backbone to the anus, use 1 hook through the jaw and a second down near the flaps......7/0 or bigger. fish with no drag, let the fish run then tighten up and hook. You will find there will be a heaps of boats fishing the top of the tide there but they all piss of when the tide starts running out all except you. Thats the good part!!!! :) :) :)

bazboo
01-05-2002, 05:56 PM
Thanks for all the trouble re spots,etc, really appreciate it. Will read all reply, and maybe have a go, probably alerted half of Sydney now, but it's what I love about most fishies, we all tend to share the good news with fellow fishies.

SeanCasey
04-05-2002, 11:16 AM
I dont live in sydney any more so it doesnt bother me too much. As long as you only keep what you need! :DGet the video by Bruce Schumaker Fishing the Hawksbury its well worth it, tells you all the spots!! Good luck!! :)