PDA

View Full Version : live bait rigs

adriancorrea
09-05-2002, 10:35 AM
Hi there all
Just wondering what types of set up do you guys use for live baits.
I have never fished with live bait except on fishing charters.
any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys and gals
Adrian

CHRIS_aka_GWH
09-05-2002, 11:24 AM
g'day adrian,
What are you targeting? Geoff Wilson's book of knots & rigs is a great reference for all varieties of these rigs for different species. Available from any decent tackle store & KMart & the like.
chris

adriancorrea
09-05-2002, 11:49 AM
Thanks Chris
Like I said never fished this way before but am interested.
Will be fishing the logan river, the pin and morton bay
I guess different rigs for each location?
But Ill get myself a copy of that book.
Thanks once again
Adrian

CHRIS_aka_GWH
09-05-2002, 02:01 PM
adrian,
around the pin & the logan I've had most success with herring which I use on a running sinker rig & a metre long trace, the herring pinned thru the top jaw just in front of eyes, barb up. I find herring pinned thru the body die very quickly. I've got jew, flathead, tailor & bream on this rig. You'll get herring with a cast net/jig at the mouth of creeks & steep mud banks.
In the bay & outside I've had success on mackeral & reef fish with yakkas, slimey mackeral & small (just legal - gotta say that) tailor. Our best results (I don't go wide that often so I'm no expert) in the bay & outside have come from fishing under a bait ball we've found on the sounder rather than fishing big name spots.
Rig up to keep your livey alive but struggling. If you are using lead pin the livie from underneath; a balloon pin the livie from above. If you are drifting make sure your rig pulls the livey forward (dragging backwards will kill it). If you are at anchor (with very little current) the opposite applies so the livey will tend to swim away from your main line.
My biggest problem with live bait is remebering to bloody well do it !! Far too often I take the easy approach of using the dead stuff cause I think it'll save time even though I know how good the live stuff is. With live bait you don't get as many bites (the pickers leave you alone) but the bites you get are what you're chasing.
cheers,
chris

spinna
09-05-2002, 02:41 PM
hi Adrian # # # # # # Not sure if its the same up where you are but down south here nere nowra N.S.W we use a running sinker with about a one metre trace . I my self use this rig a lot when im going for that big jewie that im yet to get have got same nice ones but as you know its never that big one #we dont get herring down here so we use small mullet or small taylor and no cast nets here we use very light rod and reel no weight small nigger hook and bread to get our live bait # # # # #good luck with it Adrian #;)

adriancorrea
09-05-2002, 03:44 PM
Once again fellas thanks
I give some of these rigs a go and hopefully I can post some good fishing reports.
Its good to see that there is some anglers out there willing to share their wealth of knowledge.
Ive pulled up at some boat ramps and asked people questions and they wouldnt even give me the time of day.
Thanks to Ausfish keep up the good work.
Cheers
Adrian

Heath
09-05-2002, 06:14 PM
Adrian,

I've got several rigs on my webpage that you might find usefull. #;)

A little trick when at the boat ramp where there are blokes cleaning fish, act more interested in the boat. Pop your head over the side to have a look in the boat, but more importantly have a look at the rigs the blokes were using ;) ;D

adriancorrea
10-05-2002, 04:34 AM
Thanks Heath
I will keep those things in mind and hope I dont get punched out looking in someones boat LOL
Thanks and great web site.
Cheers
Adrian