PDA

View Full Version : catching livies offshore.

SeanCasey
14-05-2002, 01:53 PM
I have always heard of the switchbait technique, but whenever people talk about it they say just go to a reef and jig up some livies...... all so simple....for them maybe. Do you anchor above the reef and berley up or drift and jig? or what??? I live in Ballina (Northern NSW........I'm a Queenslander but don't worry!!) Often trolling offshore you see the schools of Slimies on the surface but as soon as you get near them they disappear, How do i catch them??? :)

Jeremy
15-05-2002, 10:35 AM
most people will use the 6-hook bait jigs for catching their live bait. Tie a 2 oz snapper lead off the bottom. What you need to find is some reef that holds bait fish such as yakkas, pike or slimies. The locals will call it a bait reef or bait ground. Either get some GPS marks, land marks or directions from a local or chart etc, or find your own spots by leaving your sounder on as you travel around reefy areas trolling or looking for spots to fish. Bait is distinctive as grey masses rising off the bottom. You may also see bait balls in mid-water or on the surface, but there are much less likely to be there again next time you want bait. When you have found a spot, drop the jig to the bottom, raise and lower it sharply a couple of times if necessary and reel in your bait!

It is that simple, but the key is knowing where to find them. Burley is rarely used and usually only if the bait is very thin it can be used to draw them in and concentrate them.

Jeremy

Heath
15-05-2002, 06:16 PM
as Jeremy said, but if trying to get livies in the dark, using berly really helps the process along.