PDA

View Full Version : Nullarbor Fishing

PVG
03-05-2002, 02:10 PM
Over August/September I will be cycling from Perth to Adelaide with some friends. I am interested in doing some fishing on the way. Being reluctunat to cycle about 60 kms (return trip) from the Highway, I was after some good beach locations on the way. Have browsed the net and looked at bookshops, etc, but cannot find any good info. If you know of any good locations on the way across the Nullarbor or books, videos, etc, I would appreciate the help.

Volvo
03-05-2002, 10:27 PM
:oCycling, keen give that much. How ya gunna ferry your fishin gear??.

PVG
04-05-2002, 05:58 AM
Well, this is my first attempt at fishing..... I have been reading a bit about it, talked to a few people and checked out a few shops. I was going to get a 10 foot rod that splits in half. I will be constructing a trailer for the bike and was thinking of putting a pvc tube on the side. The rest is not a problem. I would want to keep it to a minimum, but the trailer will be about an Engel fridge size and would be able to carry about 40kgs.

I do not intend to catch that 'big one'. More to get some fresh fish for dinner and enjoy the beaches and the fish.

Slates
04-05-2002, 09:45 AM
G'day PVG.
Never done it, but would love to!
Yonks ago there was an article in Rex Hunt's old mag about fishing the Nullabour (or near-by area) in the surf. I'm pretty sure Steve Starling wrote it, but can't be sure.

I can remember that in some areas you need to seek permission from the local aboriginal elder to cross the land to the ocean.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Good luck!!

Cheers, Slates

PVG
04-05-2002, 09:48 AM
Thanks Slates for the suggestion and the tip about Aboriginal Land.

jezza
06-05-2002, 07:33 AM
The Aboriginal land is actually named YALATA MISSION,and is almost a "sanctuary".Permission must be gained before even entering such land,and alcohol is prohibited!I don't know about not catching the big ones.SA's far west coast is home to monster salmon and mulloway,and of course MR GREAT WHITE.....no swimming!Head of the bite and Dog Fence are probably the 2 most poular spots to fish....extremely isolated.Good luck with your trek.
Until next time...

jezza
06-05-2002, 04:45 PM
G'day again,a useful contact I've just stumbled across could be:"Sam's Far West Coast Fishing Tours".
Unfortunately,no website,but a contact number.
MOBILE 0418 843 755 or (08)8332 3545 a.h.
These guy's are professional guides and I'm sure that they will be more than happy to pass on all the info you may require ,for the cost of a phone call.All the best.
Until next time...

PVG
07-05-2002, 08:19 AM
G'day Jezza.

Thanks for the location info and tel. numbers! That's great. Will give Sam a bell and see how he might be able to help.

So you think there's a fair chance of some good fishing along the Nullarbor coast?

jezza
07-05-2002, 05:09 PM
Yes mate,better than a fair chance indeed!You might seriously need to think about a larger trailer!!!
All b...s... aside, you'll have a top spot to fish,peace and quiet and all that space to your companions and you.Again , all the best and always a pleasure to help a fellow fisho if I can.
Until next time...

Maxg
31-05-2002, 04:04 PM
A large part of the Nullarbor is pretty straight up and down cliffs, and only gets to beaches prior to and after the funny bit.
You could fish at Eucla, and spots after Eucla. The bicycle trip would probably start at the beginning of the road from Pt Agusta and is overland to Ceduna, more or less, and you can fish there, and at Penong, if you can get at the water. From there to Eucla is not fishing country, cliffs.. You could get salmon and whiting off the Eucla beach,. Try getting a 3 piece rod, about 10'6" with a threadline reel. Have fun, bet your bum gets sore. Max

waterrat
01-06-2002, 03:52 PM
this isnt quite in the same area but you could look at this website maybe of some use

http://users.bigpond.net.au/FishBytes/