PDA

View Full Version : Murphy's Law Prevails

Jack_Lives_Here
07-06-2002, 07:39 AM
Did a run up the beach at Bribie Sunday morning. The weather was looking real horrible so I elected to leave the rods behind - STUPID.

About 10km down I sit for 10 minutes :o and watch about 7 longtails bashing a bait school not more than 50 yards of the shore. SPEWIN' :'( :'(

Others must have similar stories when Murphy sticks his ugly head up ??? ???

mick
07-06-2002, 11:47 AM
did a trip a while back. when we got there we realised we left the bait in the freezer. after 2 hrs with a cast net i managed to get 1 gar. the gar was cut into 3 pieces(1 piece each). five minutes later i had a 60cm theadfin in the boat.

ive also lassooed a fish before. my hook, hooked onto my line to form a noose the line went around a trumpeters pectorial fins and mouth. the hook didnt enter the fish at all. i have a photo and will post it when i find it.

ive also hooked a shark through the d*ck, he fought harder than most fish do, but then so would i

i could go on for hours, so i will just stop now

craigie
07-06-2002, 01:28 PM
One that comes to mind with me is sitting down the Nerang River fishing the Council Chambers on a mid week night for Whiting. I was the only boat on the whole River(so it seamed), when a huge School of Trevally, about half the size of a football field go balstic all around me for half an hour non-stop.
They were big fish and I had no suitable tackle, Bait or Lures to throw in front of them !!
I might not have caught a fish but it was a 'top ten' Fishing memory.

Cheers
Craigie.

p.s. At least I had a witness with me to verify the story.

jaybee
07-06-2002, 09:22 PM
My fondest memory is when my bro and I used to drive down to byron bay on a friday night after work and push the boat out through the surf at the passage 4am the next morning..one day (we used hand lines back then) he was floating whole ockies and dropping a big ball sinker..well he had about 50ft of line out and he got a tangle..quickest way out cut the tangle and put a swivel in..well he had the line that was out in his teeth and tying the swivel to the line still in the boat.. goin ooohhh arggghhh or something like that..with his head jerking off towards the bottom of byron bay..he managed to tie the swivel onto the line in his mouth and the end result was a12lb snapper lol..all while i was rolling around the boat laughing my gutts out..i am laughing now thinking of how he looked and couldnt open his mouth to ask for help for fear off the line going off with the fish ROFLMAO...should be more off it

fishy_phil
09-06-2002, 02:05 PM
well
i caught a huge mullet in deep creek at narrabeen i never even hooked it because the sucker had a 2/0 treble in its side which my line had a half hitch around!!! also a 2kg flathead i landed on a lure with one hook on it when i was testing it but when i landed it the hook had snapped and the flathead wasnt even hooked. both on the same trip!!!! ;)

lucky phil

adrian
11-06-2002, 10:35 AM
who is paying this bloke murphy when ever a half descent day turns up the phone rings while still a sleep and my boss has an important job for me to do and when you say yah what's up he says thanks you leave in an hour for ........
if i catch this guy he had better be dead if not he will be when i catch him .

or the forecast is wrong when you get to the ramp for a day outside so your stuck in the river with all heavy gear for outside or the other way round

anzac

Beggsy
12-06-2002, 09:45 AM
I decided to try out my homemade rod holder (heavy old coffee table with some "V" shaped poles to rest 2 rods on) off Cleveland Point one night. The idea being, I could just rest my rods on this thing and, when I got a bite, I could just lift up and I'd be on.......... the theory sounded good.

Anyway, it was awfully quiet - no bites for an hour or so - I decide to visit the other bloke fishing just up from me and got into a bit of a chat. Next thing I hear a big crash and look around.......... O sh%&t, forgot to set the drags......
there goes my table and 2 rods toward the edge of the wall - off I ran and went for a big dive across the concrete to save my rods - missed and slid into the drink - I surfaced in time to see my brand-new rod and reel go sailing off into the darkness. I retrieved my table and my old rod and looked down to see blood dripping out of my stomach, hips, arms and legs. Having hooked some nice sharks off here, I decided it wasn't good to be in the water in the dark while pumping blood everywhere, so pulled my sad self out of the water.
There I was dripping wet, freezing cold, lost about $300 worth of rod and reel and lost a s%^&load of skin and blood. The other fisho comes over and says " geez when you decide to have a swim, you don't muck about, do you..."

Finally stopped shaking my head at my stupidity, got dry and changed into some new clothes and decided to fish on.
Half an hour later, the other bloke yells out to me - I run over and bugger me if he hadn't hooked my good rod and pulled it in for me - I coulda kissed him!!! (I just bought him a case of beer instead).

Couple of nights later - after heavily modifying my table/rod holder - I'm landing a fish on one rod when.... bang/crash, there goes the table again and off goes my other rod into the darkness- I wasn't up to another slide on the concrete or another swim - I'd set the drag too stiff - never saw that rod again. The fish on the other line - bloody catfish !!!

Well I've learnt from that and, as Jaybee and Craigie can attest, I think I've got the rod holder sorted out now.
Don't know if it was Murphy's fault or Beggsy's stupidity ::)