PDA

View Full Version : Fraser Island

griz066
17-06-2002, 12:25 PM
Hi Guys'
While I have done almost every type of fishing I have never beach fished for taylor. What do i need to know, please tell me everything.Gear, rigs, tips, everything.We are off to Fraser for a week in August.Thanks in advance.
Griz 8)

spindles
17-06-2002, 04:47 PM
If you check hints & tips then becoming a better fisherman then beach fishing it will help you out and any thing more just ask and you will get a lot of help on this website.spindles

stevedemon
18-06-2002, 01:41 PM
Hi Griz
In answer to your question on beach fishing for starters you need a good rod ;) from 12' to 16.5' and Alvey 650 or good Egg beater ::), min line 15lb to 25lb 8), sinkers No 3 to No 8 ball sinkers for Tailor 3/0 to 5/0 gang hooks ;D :D ;) I usually setup with a trace line system for tailor from the Sinker to swiverl to line trace and gang hooks about 12 - 14in trace line an and the same for bream or jews of the beach but with a 2/0 for bream, Trevally, 5/0 for Jewies i find this system, works very well of the beach an in most surfs hope this helps you out good fishing on Frasers
Cheers tight lines and keep the rods bending ;D ;) ;D
Steve

spinna
18-06-2002, 03:06 PM
Hi Griz
Well i would have to agree with Steve. The only difference is that if you are use to overhead reels as i am i think you have a better feel for the fish you have on. But thats only my opinion :)

cheers spinna

Lucky_Phill
18-06-2002, 05:35 PM
As I am heading to Frazer at the end of this month, I'll be able to give you a report on my return.

So, for now. Look in the waves for the Tailor, you might even see Mullet and Dart there. Look for the gutters. It pays sometimes to cast to the back gutter. In the white water for bigger Tailor.

On the way up, look in the 4 x 4 tracks to find Pipi's. Take lures / slugs. Lazer's are good. Salt your Pillies before hand to make them " casting " friendly.

try flattening your larger sinkers. This'll stop them " rolling " with the current.

Dawn and Dusk ideal times. Look for other 4 x 4's and fishermen with bent rods.

If you want some real fun, take an overhead, ballons and wire traces. Throw on a big lump of fish/ mullet/ tuna, and send it out about sunset. Make sure the " Game " chair is bolted firmly to the tray in the "Cruiser ". :o :o :o :o :o

I'll be taking my boat to Fraser, so hopefully most of my fishing will be offshore, but no doubt, the beach species will have me as a friend at some stage. Probably hit Waddy Point Rocks etc. 8) 8) 8) 8)