PDA

View Full Version : Moreton Bay wreck

Nugget
02-07-2002, 04:53 AM
Notices to Mariners reported the wreck of the vessel Just Crusin’ which sunk last June has now stabilized on the Spitfire banks with a reported position of 27°01.072'S, 153°17.045'E – one to keep in mind for the future.

Muzza
02-07-2002, 03:06 PM
Nugget,
Thanks for the mark, only prob it's 670.7 km 's from Nçle hbr.
Better travel by road I think. http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm1.gif
Cheers
Muzza

Nugget
03-07-2002, 01:18 AM
It had a zero in the wrong place - now correct.
27.1.0720S # 153.17.0450E
It's not my mark - I haven't been there (as yet) it was given by Qld Transport-maritime.

For your info - the 11.6-metre converted wooden trawler Just Cruisin left Mooloolaba headed for Swansea on July 6, 2001 with four men on board.
It is believed the cruiser broke up after being swamped by large waves less than eight hours after leaving Mooloolaba.
A salvage operation was called off after Just Cruisin' began to break up as it was being lifted to the surface.
"It will be staying there for good now," a Brisbane Water Police spokesman said.
An air and sea search looking for survivors ran for six days and covered a large area of the east coast. It involved more than 20 fixed-wing aircraft and 13 helicopters.
To the best of my knowledge and research, the four men were never found.

Dave ><>

Lucky_Phill
08-07-2002, 11:13 AM
Still got the decimal point in an interesting spot Dave ???

The four men were never found. Probably with the Dentist who tried to Jetski to Moreton a few years ago. ::)

Nugget
08-07-2002, 11:59 AM
The exact Notice to Mariners was as I first quoted -
"The wreck of the vessel 'Just Cruisin' is sunk in the position of (Chart Datum WGS 84) Latitude 27°01.072'S, Longitude 153°17.045'E on Spitfire Banks in Moreton Bay"

Some desktop software has a problem with the 27.01.
Mine gives the same position whether you enter 27.01 or 27.1
Rather than try and go into details explaining that I just gave the alternate.(as against 27.10 - which is a different position obviously)

Here is a screen shot of my desktop GPS software showing the position of Just Cruisin on a geo-referenced areial photo.

jaybee
09-07-2002, 03:29 PM
Hi Nugget
Interested in the name of the software please..looks good and really practical
cheers

Nugget
10-07-2002, 02:33 AM
OziExplorer

http://www.oziexplorer.com/

Dave ><>

adriancorrea
11-07-2002, 06:31 PM
Hi there Nugget 8)
Im also interested in oziexplorer, I have been to that site and downloaded it and as Im only new to gps and the likes (Havent even got one yet) I was wondering where and how to get maps.
Especially Moreton Bay and all the way to Tweed Heads.
Thanks in advance Dave :)

Tight Lines
Adrian

Nugget
12-07-2002, 01:19 AM
The good thing about OziExplorer is that you can geo-reference any map.
You just have to know a couple of GPS marks and that will reference it.
The more accurate and wider spread on the map, the more accurate the map will be.
You can buy a pack of CDs that cover the whole of Australia - land only unfortunately.
You can also buy electronic charts (very expensive) or scan your own maps, charts or aerial photos - which is what I've done.
There is a technique on the OziExplorer site for making one large chart out multiple scans - which is what I've done.

I've been told that TMQ Brisbane is developing a low-cost desktop software for home use - last conversation I had with them was that the only variation on the thousands of dollar commercial software the pro fishos use is that you won't be able to download or upload marks to your GPS.

It is great to be able to sit at home and play with charts, GPS marks and plots - but them I'm a bit of a tinkerer!

Dave ><>

Here is a small section of a geo-referenced chart showing a few of my way-points as an example.

bugman
12-07-2002, 05:57 AM
Nugget,

I to went to the oziexplorer site but I left with the feeling that you required a GPS that support maps to use the software.
I only have a Garmin GPS 12 which doesn't have maps or an extension to upload/download data.
I haven't recieved any reponse from my email to them about whether my GPS is compatible with their software. But from you answer to Adrian is seems you physically enter the GPS points into the software. Is this right.
Maybe I could still use it.
Regards
Bugman

Nugget
12-07-2002, 06:40 AM
I have a chart plotter/GPS with map cartridges in my boat.
I just buy the cartridge for the area I want navigate in - which in my case is basically one cartridge that covers SE Qld.
I use my OziExplorer software independent of the chart plotter/GPS.
Let's say for example someone gives me a GPS mark - I check it out on my desktop software to see where it is in relation to the world - You'd be surprised how many marks are on dry land.
I also scour the charts and look for contour marks that indicate pinnacles and holes - get their exact GPS mark off my geo-referenced chart then enter the data into my GPS to check out next time I'm on the water.
I can connect OziExplorer up to my (or any) GPS - they all output in a standard data format that can be integrated to the serial port on your PC - but I haven't bothered.
When they are connected you can import routes etc as well - but this requires the correct interfacing software, which is what I believe they are talking about on the OziExplorer site.
I'll ask the inventor from OziExporer to make a comment here - hopefully he will be able to offer some suggestions and clear the functionality of the software up.

Dave ><>