PDA

View Full Version : Moreton Bay Charters

IanF
20-06-2002, 06:41 AM
Hi Everyone

I was wondering if anyone could give me any opinions on charters for Moreton bay for mid July. I am trying to organise a day out with what looks like 10-14 mates. Our preference is for one that starts out from Manly harbour but places like cleveland and wellington point may be an option as well. We hope to do some game and reef fishing and are all a mix of experiences with none of us very experienced!

Your comments opinions of local charters would be much appreciated as would any advice on what to look for etc.

Thanks
Ian

CHRIS_aka_GWH
20-06-2002, 09:44 AM
ian,
for reef fishing...
dave thompson's Tom Cat Charters 3820 8794 out of Raby Bay are excellent. Good powerful, stable fishing platform, well laid out, good gear & deckies who are professional but invisible.
If you ever get over North Straddie call Mal Starky 0407376091 he's a local spanner crabber who grew up on the island & runs Point Lookout Fishing Charters. He beach launches & you are on the grounds in 5-10 mins. Very few know the reefs & fish habits off straddie better.
chris

Lucky_Phill
20-06-2002, 05:28 PM
Me ole mate John Palermo has a new 40ft Cat called " Prime Mover " and has been killing the fish lately. I think he takes up to 15 ppl.

0407 127405. 8)

IanF
21-06-2002, 05:22 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. After trying to ring around a few charter operators it is becoming very apparent that I should not have left it so late to try to organise. We only have one saturday in July we can go and almost all charters are pretty solidly booked anywhere in brisbane.

If anyone else is thinking of organising a trip out with a group on a weekend I would advise you to book early.

Phil - I tried John Palamero and his charter sounded great but he is booked solid for weekends for the next while. Obviously he has a good reputation.

Chris - Tomcat charters were also booked on the day we wanted to go but thanks anyway.

On a brighter note it looks like we may have found the only boat available in Brisbane which seems excellent and if everything goes to plan we will have a great day. I will let you guys know how we went.

Regards
Ian

Lucky_Phill
21-06-2002, 05:34 AM
Well Ian, you obviously wanted to go from Brisvegas and fish offshore Moreton and Straddie.

Next time you want to go, have a think about leaving from Hervey Bay. A lot of good boats and crew up there.

One in particular, is " Tasman Venture 11 " run by Lloyd Burgess. He mainly does a 2 day charter which takes in either offshore Fraser ( break sea spit area ) or up towards Lady Elliott Island. he also has the option of hitting the inshore reefs if weather is a bit dicky. But, as usual, the booking time required is long. The bloke who organizes our trips books 4 dates a year in advance to coincide with the moon phases.

The other problem up there is that most fishing boats do Whale Watching for 3 months of the year, and that usually is the best time for fishing as well. But , there is a lot more money in Whale Watching than fishing charters.

The only boat I know of up there that fishes during the Wahel Watch season is " Golden Pheonix " run by Arthur Mackie, I think.

Don't forget if you want a charter inside Moreton Bay for a couple of guys, Bob Kozien does this. He's a BnB reporter , so it'll be easy to find him. 8)

webby
21-06-2002, 02:54 PM
;D ;DYou could always try
"Lucky Phill's Charters" in his Ausfish
Explorer. PS Remember to take a rain coat. ;D ;D

Luke
21-06-2002, 03:58 PM
And a jerry can he he :D

Amberjack
25-06-2002, 03:48 PM
And the number for Beenleigh VMR. Yuk Yuk Yuk ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

aquarius
30-06-2002, 07:54 PM
;DAnd a waterproof container for your mobile phone!!!!! ;)

IanF
16-07-2002, 09:14 AM
Well we went out on a charter on Saturday. 12 mates on board and had a great time. Fishing action was a little slower than expected - this was backed up by the charter operators. Everyone caught fish which were mainly squire. I had never been out past Straddie/Morton before (only got a tinnie) so it was very interesting just for the trip. Another highlight was spotting a few whales pretty close to the boat. Anyway I would recommend it to anyone either experienced or not to go out on one of these types of charters. They provide all you need to have a great day. All you have to take is yourself. We will definately go again. http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm1.gif

bugman
16-07-2002, 11:37 AM
Ian,
Just interested as to which Charter you picked in the end and whereabouts did they take you.
Did you head out South Passge Bar and go right to fish of Straddie or Left to Fish off Moreton. Or did you go up the inside of the bay and fish North of Moreton.
PS How much do they charge for the priviledge nowdays as well. Might make arguments with the other half sound stronger at home.
bugman

IanF
16-07-2002, 11:50 AM
Hi Bugman

We went with 'Ocean Fox' Charters. The boat was very comfortable etc with good quality gear. We left at 5:30am and got back around 3:30ish. cost was $150 per person with all tackle bait food drinks included (except alcohol). I am not all that fimiliar with the bay as I am new to area and confined by way of owning a tinny only so I am not sure of the exact location. We went between moreton and North Straddie over the bar. Aparently we went out about 6 miles passed the bar. There were a number of reefs we went to and I would know them if I heard them again but they were refered to as so-many fathom reefs (like 37 fathom reef) We seemed to spend most time on reefs out from the northern part of straddie but also outside of Moreton.We could see fish on the sounder but as I said before it wasn't what you would call hot action.

Hope this helps. Let me know if there is anything else you want to know about the trip.

Ian

bugman
17-07-2002, 05:28 AM
Ian,
Thanks, $150 a pop for not hot action.
Well I can do that (not hot action) in my boat for about $30 a head.
Gee wiz the missus is in for one hell of an argument tonight.
Bugman