PDA

View Full Version : Who pinched all the onions?

Sweetlip
17-07-2002, 12:56 AM
What is it with mullet gut these days?

The frozen packets of mullet gut that I buy from some of the local bait and tackle shops don't contain any onions.

Fortunately, the mullet gut that I buy from the bait shop next to the Jacob's Well ramp has the onions but that means that I need to get down there before they close before a night's fishing.

What is the use of mullet gut without the onions?!!!

Who pinched the onions?

Sweetlip

jaybee
17-07-2002, 05:56 AM
At a guess I would say the onions are being removed as to add more gut (weight) to a bag, making the bags look like better value, eithor / or someone has found a lucrative market for the onions. Have you tried Raptis or other co-ops to see if you can buy it fresh from the filleters during the week.
cheers.

DeeGee
17-07-2002, 06:42 AM
I seem to recall reading somewhere that they are regarded as a delicacy in some S/E Asian countries, so they are being removed and exported for human consumption.
I cant remember much detail, so it may have been fact or speculation. It may have even been a leg-pull, but it could also explain why most pre-packaged gut have no onions in them.

Regards, Don.

jaybee
17-07-2002, 07:01 AM
Heres the answer DeeGee was spot on YUK! I draw the line here from Fishing Monthly
It’s interesting, though, that in recent years it’s been hard to acquire good gut, complete with the onions, for bait as in a lot of cases the onion has been taken out of the gut and processed as a food product for the Asian market. Tasty things they must be!

Nugget
18-07-2002, 02:48 PM
I'm going to throw a spanner in the works here and say the onion is not the best part of the mullet gut.
It is too hard and often results in missed bites.
I've found the hook-up rate worse using the onion than with properly presented gut.
Learn how to put the gut on properly and you will get better results - guaranteed - my opinion.

Dave ><>

stevedemon
18-07-2002, 03:18 PM
Hi All
Sorry but I have to agree with Nugget the onion is a pain at the best of times for Bream fishing in sydney years ago we use to buy the gut with the onion and had to gut it like peeling and orange :P to much time wasted on good nights so we cut it up as burly but the strike rate was definitly better most of the people that I know preferr the gut without onion but only fresh gut ;D
So once agian Nugget you got it right your old dog you

CHEERS ;D ;D
STEVE :P

Sweetlip
19-07-2002, 09:52 AM
Actually, I had such a good nights fishing 1am - dawn last night at Tiger Mullet channel on beef heart that I am revising all of my views about bream baits.

Just as an afterthought when shopping yesterday, I spent 80c on some beef heart at Woolies. I have often heard people talk of catching big bream on bullock's heart so I gave it a go.

I must have used all of 20c worth last night because I kept reusing the same bait several times. I got no bites on mullet flesh nor mullet gut onions nor chicken breast .

Sweetlip