PDA

View Full Version : Flathead on Lures?

Simon_Harmon
14-07-2002, 02:11 PM
G'day,

I'm just wondering about how to rig for flathad on lures? Could someone please tell me a good rig?

Doubles, leaders etc.

Kind Regards
Simon Harmon

aquarius
14-07-2002, 04:43 PM
G'DAY Simon....When i troll for flatties i use a main line of 3 kilo and double that for the leader....havn't had many bust off's with this rig.
If you are using small lure's just attach them to the leader with a loop knot as this will give the lure a better action to attract the fish...Tip= make sure the lure is bouncing on the sand to send out that vibration to the old flathead.
ps i also use the smallest of swivels to attach the leader to the main line.
Hope this helps you catch a few mate.
Cheers Brent http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm1.gif

Jeremy
16-07-2002, 04:08 AM
I also use 3 kg main line, 50 cm spider hitch double, and about 1.5m of 8-10 kg leader. I use a very small snap to attach the lures.

Jeremy

Jason_L
16-07-2002, 05:28 PM
If you don't already have one, buy yourself a small Wonder Wobbler.
10gm or 20 gram are 2 good sizes... i've caught a few on the 10gm size apart from everything else that lure catches.

craigie
17-07-2002, 11:33 AM
Hi Simon,

Buy yourself some 12 pound Berkley Fireline and a couple of Pink Tilsan Minnows.

Tie the line directly onto a snap swivel and attach the lure.

Nice and simple and very effective.

The Tilsan should dive to around a Metre and a half when trolled.

Got a few good Lizards last weekend useing this method.

Have yet to have a bust-off ;D ;D, not easy for fish to bite through the Fireline.

Make sure you set your drag nice and loose, hooks can be torn from the Fishes Mouth when drag is too tight.The Flathead must be allowed to run otherwise 'hooks will be pulled'.

Happy Fishing

Craigie.

dj69
20-07-2002, 06:04 PM
I agree with cragie...can't beat pink lures for flatties...

bugman
21-07-2002, 02:21 PM
I run 4-6kg line straight down to a very small black snap swivel - makes for easy lure swapping and little knot tieing.
My lure of preferance is a blue and silver with red throat mann's stretch 10+.
Nailed another 54 cm flattie in the Pine River on Thursday. That lure would get 80 per cent of fish compared to all other run on the other rod.
Bugman