PDA

View Full Version : Jewfish

blaze
26-07-2002, 07:52 PM
Hi all
just wondering how far south jewies go in bass strait, seems to me we should catch them possible on the nor west coast of tasmania or any known reports of them coming down even as far as king island. I have faily reliable info that marlin, tuna , kingies are often seen down the rugged west coast but they ain't fished for because of the unstable weather patterns

ozdevil
27-07-2002, 06:06 AM
Gday Rob

Mate jewies down in Tas...hmmmmm ya really thinking there mate.....I spose it would be possible as once apon a time no one even thought of catching snapper or kingies in Tas....So if i reckon you purely went out chasing a jew of around Marrawah or somewhere like that The chances are you could possibly catch a jew....

Mate do alot of research on Jewfish mate as I still havent got my first decent jew and i am in jewfish country I have caught undersize jewies but still havent landed a decent bugger yet......Alot of people wont give out the information on the how to and where to fish on this particular species.....Mate As i am only a novice at jewfishing my advice that i would give you would and could lead you up the garden path....If i had any good info on Jewfishing I would give it you so you could venture out and give it a whirl.....

anyway tight lines rob

mick

blaze
27-07-2002, 09:29 PM
Hi Mick
find myself checking posts all over the place lately. I think we are only abit over 250 k at the closest point and if i was a fish i would want to go for a look (would'nt you) lol.do clubs tag any species, like the jewies over there as it would be interestin to find out fish movement over there and then we might be able figure out where abouts they may possible be, if at all

ozdevil
28-07-2002, 05:38 AM
Gday Rob

Mate I do believe that clubs do tag and release them which would be good to see wherethey head and al that it would give us great valuble info.... Mate i would agree with ya if i was a fish i would go and have alook even if it was for a day.....

Mate i reckon it would be paradise down the west coast for fishing but it is a dam shame its so secluded which in ways its good.....It is so un touched i would love to see the sea life around west coast...

cheers
Mick

blaze
29-07-2002, 12:53 AM
hi mick
it was only about ten years ago that you could get cray like in brains pictures off the rocks in a ring net
cheers

bugman
29-07-2002, 12:39 PM
Mick, Rob,

I got cray in a ring net sitting on the rocks drinking Boags Premium sitting in the blazing sun getting a suntan on the West Coast in January.
I was soooooo close to moving back down.

blaze
29-07-2002, 05:34 PM
hi bugman
not like it was 10 years ago though
cheers

bugman
30-07-2002, 10:17 AM
True Blaze,
I've got a photo of my Grandfather's shack in Strahan from the 50's 60's. It had your typical roofing iron fence that was about 10 metres long.
The fence was covered the entire length with drying crays hanging by their tail. 100 plus
My Grandfather built his own row boat out of Huon Pine and would row the 8ks from Strahan to the Heads and fish the rock walls with cray pots he'd built and then come back and trade the crays with neighbours for meat and vegetables.
Imagine doing that now.
I've still got an uncle who owns one of the four shacks on the other side of the heads near the lighthouse. You can only get there by boat. It can be the worst place on earth in bad weather but God's own country in the right weather.
Bugman

blaze
31-07-2002, 04:58 PM
Hi Bugman
you really are a west coaster (YOU WILL BE BACK) ITS IN YA BLOOD.
I worked down there for freddy groves and on the hydro for about 8 years, smithton bred and do most of my fishin this side of the pieman

bugman
01-08-2002, 05:51 AM
Blaze,

I think your right about being in your blood. I've been all over the world and lived in a few places up here in QLD but whenever I go back to Queenstown and Strahan it feels as though I've come home.

I left the West Coast back in 1980 to live up in East Devonport for 8 years. (The Swans used to thrash Smithon quite regularly if I remember correctly) But even then the West Coast always felt like our propper home whenever we went back to visit the rellies.
It's changed heaps now mate. I went back down at Xmas and thought Strahan might as well have been Disneyland - all those specially built tourist cottages on the main drag. Nearly fell over.
Couldn't even get into the pub for a beer because 350 tourists came off the Gordon boats at lunch and booked the place out.
Some people say its for the better but I find myself wanting the old West Coast back. Mind you I don't want the bloody mess that used to flow into Macquarie Harbour from the Queen River either. That's one of the biggest environmental scandals I've ever seen.
I remember as a kid the Queen used to be like liquid mercury. It was that thick with mine tailings you could almost walk on it. Maybe the locals should have looked a little closer to home when winging about declining fish stocks.

Had only just got into trout fishing and trips up the Lakes before I came over here. Mucking round in the upper reaches of the Mersey and going up to Ada and Flora were some of my favourite times.

I'm going to have to stop. I'm feeling homesick.

Bugman