PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Island... tips & hints WANTED

Crazie_Gido
01-08-2002, 07:38 AM
- Any hints/tips re ...
- best guides etc...
- whether to stay at Capt Cook or Big Eddies?
- Other sundries?

All appreciated.

Crazie

Wesley_Pang
01-08-2002, 03:38 PM
Crazie,

I went to Christmas Island, Kiribata in 1999 with a group organised by Scott Mitchell(Alpine Angler). It was fantastic.

Bonefish, Paris Flats Christmas Island Kiribati
http://members.optusnet.com.au/wpang/Images/Bone.jpg

We had the whole trip organised through Angling Adventures/Frontiers. We stayed at Captain Cook(Big Eddies was not up and running yet).

Tips.
In the beginning have a guide per angler, the guides have amazing eyes and will spot more fish than you will, when you get more confident you can change this "boat fishing"( using a boat to travel between sites) is faster than "truck fishing"(get driven to each site) - the Lagoon is huge. I believe Big Eddie may have better boats than Captain Cook(I'd check). I guess you have your dates already, but I would recommend a week just after a full moon with the low tide in the morning. Bonefish feed well on the incoming tide and are very spooky when they are getting off the flats on the outgoing tide. Just after the full moon huge schools of 10lb bonefish spawn on Paris Flats. I'd take a 12/13 for the trevally, they are huge. Scotto got a 50lber. I'd book big Eddie is you are serious about GT. Eddie guided Scotto for his GT. Scotto has a 2nd hand 12/13 oufit for sale. He may be at the Fly Expo, but Matt will be able to help you(he has been to Christmas too) Send me you snail mail address by email and I'll post you some bonefish flies I have left over. Have a GREAT time. I'm jealous

Wes

Crazie_Gido
02-08-2002, 01:05 PM
Nice pic, Wes... and thanks for the tips. they all look spot on. We shall follow.

Scotto has been advising us, and supplied me with most of the necessaries for tying flies for the trip, but I hear you can never have too many, so any left-overs would be much appreciated!

(Unexpectedly kind of you Wes... really blown me away that offer!)

Address: Gido Faber, 98 Bourke Street, Woolloomooloo NSW 2011.

Do you want to sell your bonefish/GT rig/set-up? (A mate needs both for the coming trip).

Crazie_Gido.

Wesley_Pang
08-08-2002, 02:41 PM
Gibo,

The bonefish flies are in the mail.

Have a great time chasing the "ghost of the flats".

Please email me when you get back. If my Lotto number come in, I'd like to get back to Christmas Island. I'd like to fish the outside reef next time.

Wes