PDA

View Full Version : Snapper ( Big Nobbies )

michael_mad_fisho
13-08-2002, 02:19 PM
:)
Hello
my name is kevin and i live in the Redlands. I have never a caught a big snapper and would like to do this before i die!!!

Can anyone help me with a few gps marks to get me started, Places like Mud Island, Peel Island, Moreton Bay or even outside but would prefer the bay.

I have heard stories of big nobbies being taken at Mud Island and also Green Island, Peel Island in as little as 3 to 5 metres of water.

I have also heard its better to fish the drop offs and Gravel.
What does "gravel" look like on a colour sounder.?

I have a small Seafarer 5.9 Victory with a colour Furuno Sounder.

I have other gps marks from outside if any one would like them although i would think that they are already weel known, however the offer is there.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, baits, rigs, times etc.

If any one wants to email me privately here is my email address
kbm@bigpond.net.au

Thank You
Kevin

aquarius
13-08-2002, 03:03 PM
Hi Kevin, Mate your not alone in your quest to catch a NOBBIE.....I'd reckon thats every fisho's dream!!
It would seem that Mud Island produces good squire and snapper at times but mate you have to put in the hours to get the rewards.
Try the 10 metre drop off along the eastern side of Mud....Tide, moon phase and wind are all key factors in a successful trip.
TIP; make sure the bait is FRESH or ALIVE to entice a strike....Good Luck
Cheers Brent ;) ;)

Lucky_Phill
14-08-2002, 12:40 PM
Hey Kev, # #if you're heading to Mud to get a Snapper with the weather conditions right, just stand in line. #The place is over populated with hungry fishoes looking for that first snap. #Patience, numerous trips, etc will be the key.

Mick Laps done some stories in BnB earlier this year and Jason Conimo does them as well. #Lots of good info there.

Been a lean year in the Bay so far. #Reports today of 1 fisho boating a couple, but, he's been at it for ever.

You won't have trouble finding the Snapper area at Mud, it's where all the other boats are.

Good #Luck.

Touchy - R.I.P.
14-08-2002, 04:58 PM
Mate,gps marks?,spots?,Jezzes,You arent asking for much eh!,before you die eh!what time frame are we looking at here :P I'm sorry to be such a party pooper but my best advice to you is to do what some of us have done in the past & do your home work,Mud has some good fish to be had but try a few trips.15/30 ;D(its still good to be on the water even without the "biggie"anyway),DONT FISH WITH ANY OTHER BOATS CLOSE 8)use only the freshest of baits/berley/very little weight,be on the water before dawn or right on dusk,if you do the ground work you will get your fish & it will be all the more satisfying 'cause you worked it out yourself,if you dont get one soon(as the best times are fast getting away )send me an e-mail & I MIGHT pass on a couple of spots for you for next winter.Good Luck ;)

craigie
16-08-2002, 01:27 PM
Yer Kevin, I think you have to do your apprenticeship and catch a few thousand little ones before you get that first 'Nobby', just think how appreciative you'll be !!!!
Could be easier to go on a Charter out of Hervey Bay during winter ??

Hey Touchy, how about I swap you the location etc of a good Jewy spot at Jumpnpin inexchange for a bit of Snapper Info. This Jew location, they just stop 'Short' of jumping in your Boat ?
Have you had any more success for 'Lizards' on those Soft Plastics ??

Cheers
Craig.

Touchy - R.I.P.
17-08-2002, 02:36 AM
Hey Craigie,BUGGER ORF! ;D,next time a jewie comes that close I'm gunna brain the bludger with an empty green ginger bottle(should be able to find one or two rattling around in the boat somewhere eh! :P)Its about the only thing I did'nt throw at'em.Cheers T.><> ><>.

Heath
17-08-2002, 05:24 PM
Kevin,

Think you will be hard pressed mate, for someone to give up their honey hole.
If you do the ground work, you will come up with the goods eventually.

1. Structure - Find good structure & the fish won't be too far behind.
2. Conditions - You will find when a Northerly blows most fish go off the bight, try and choose a SW or W wind. Also the change of the tide is good as this is when the run is at it's minimum. And lastly a rising moon seems to bring the fish on the bite.
3. Presentation, it's no good just chucking on a pillie & hoping for the best. Make sure your bait looks the goods.

Jason Comino writes an article every month in Bush n Beach mag. He fishes the bay exclusively & his articles are informative. He should steer you in the right direction for the area.

Darren_73
30-03-2008, 06:06 PM
i went out 2day and we caught a 7k snapper of gold coast

Darren_73
30-03-2008, 06:10 PM
hi everyone, i was wondering if i could have some good places off peel island to catch tuna,GT and snapper thx.

nowornever
30-03-2008, 06:15 PM
i went out 2day and we caught a 7k snapper of gold coast
I dont beleive you ha ha!

If you want to catch some try around late aprile may at green island or at peel in june july august september new moon is really good.