PDA

View Full Version : fishing reel

michael_mad_fisho
28-08-2002, 03:49 PM
:) ;) :'( :o >:( ;D :D ;) :) :P :-[ :-X :-/ :'( :-* :'( :-*

pockets
28-08-2002, 06:19 PM
I have a diawa 2600 egg beater my dad bought me when I was nine years old. Im now 37 and i am still using it today.
Thats gotta be value for money.

morryNQ
29-08-2002, 08:57 AM
I find it difficult to name a best reel as most of my reels and those of serious spotfishos I know doctor their reels to improve perfomance . But I guess my pick is the Penn spinfisher range absolutly bullet proof straight of the shelf .

I also use the shimano AX threasdline range that are no longer avalible for all my live baiting for Barra and for light tackle bluewater fun and have never had a problem with them apart form the normal wear and tear and the odd broken handle . I have 5 AX 500's that are all 4 to six years old and with a service when required and good care they will last the same again.
It comes down to not what is the best reel what is the best way to care for the reel regardless of cost or brand name

regards
Morry

Steve_Ooi
29-08-2002, 01:41 PM
I suppose that all depends, if your looking a baitcasters, maybe the daiwa CV-Z or shimano calais. beach fishing reel the alvey although some like the overhead abu's these days.
Tournament casting hard to beat an abu with CT frame and magnetic control.
Spin gear well there's daiwa saltiga's,shimano stella's and penn spinfishers.
In the end it all depend on the type of fishing your doing and the price range,
There are some good reels that are cheap in price , they may not be the very best reel, but they may be the very best value reel around .

Cheers Steve Ooi

gruntahunter
29-08-2002, 01:58 PM
I guess its whats you were brought up with.I don't think anyone can doubt the fact that Alveys last forever even if their abused. In the sand with kids you wouldn't buy anything else.How many eggbeaters are sold each year for kids that only last as long as the first snag, and if there lucky to the end of the holidays with no chance of being used next year? So for me the simple Alveys do a great job whether it be in the rivers or in the surf or out on the reefs. :D

jaybee
29-08-2002, 03:17 PM
Difficult question..I use abu garcia spinners in the boat and off the rocks, alvey off the beach and penn, ryobi overhead for bottom bashing and trolling and a large abu spinner for floaters.

Dr_Dan
01-09-2002, 08:23 AM
I've gotta agree with morryNQ with this one. The penn spinfishers are THE real to use. Other than that, i like to use shimano as well.

;DKeep Fishin all!!! ;D