PDA

View Full Version : seeking fishing info for Woodgate area

Steve44
05-09-2002, 05:14 PM
I'm about the spent a week at Woodgate, between Bundaberg and Burnett Heads, and would appreciate any advice on the type of shore and boat based fishing in that area. I understand there is an artificial reef approx 1km offshore from woodgate beach.

Brett_Finger
05-09-2002, 05:39 PM
Steve,
mate you have picked a nice place to stay,there is an artifical reef around 1nautical mile off the beach.
you can see bouth the markers on each end of the reef from the shoreline,this reef produces good quality fish at times and this time of the year is one of them,good mackrell are a regular species encounted along the reef at the moment and you should have good luck trolling a lure along the reef edge.
The reefs adverage depth is 8 - 10m this explains the good pelagic action along it.
other fish to be encounted include,Golden Trevally - Tailor - Cobia - Parrot - Squire - Emperor - Cod.
this reef consists of concrete pipes - cars - scrap metal.
the southen end of the reef is the better end to fish.

at the nourthen end of woodgate beach lyes Thelodiate (spelling) creek,this systen fishes extreamaly well for most estuary species,whiteing - flathead - trevally - and in the hotter mounths Jacks and Barra!!!!
the southen end of the beach i the Burrum River system, this is a large esturine system with 3 other rivers running into it before it disperses into the sea,as with the northen creeks,many,many great species can be targeted !!! there is a fair boat ramp at walkers point witch is at the mouth of the burrum.
all along the beach at woodgate,there are great gutters that hold good fish!!!
hope this helps a bit.
Hookin,Brett

Steve44
05-09-2002, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the detailed response Brett. It sounds very encouraging. I'll give your recommendations a go (weather permitting) and hopefully turn a scale or two in the locations you've recommended.
Cheers

jack_attack
05-09-2002, 06:20 PM
I have only fished the area a few times but from what I have seen it is excellent.

I had no offshore trips. All my fishing was done in Theodolite creek. First cast saw a nice flatty at my feet on a lure within site of the boat ramp.

Whilst walking along the bank throwing lures I noticed a number of legal size muddies scurrying away from the shallows.

A short drive back along the main drag sees a few dirt roads that will take you back to the creek. Beautiful looking area and very fishy.

A bit of a walk around saw 2 smallish jacks released. A few other hits but nothing serious.

I reckon the area would fish well given a bit of effort and a bit of time. I was in the area working and only got to fish for an hour or so for a few days running.

It is one of those places you always dream about getting back to.

clutter
05-09-2002, 06:20 PM
Steve,
Top place, I grew up there my family still has a house there. When are you going up? I'll be heading there myself in a couple of weeks.

On the fishing side of things there is another spot you could try. Down towards the Bowls club you will see an A frame house along the esplinade. If you have a sounder, go straight out from the house a mile or so and start sounding while travelling straight out. There are several small reefs in a line out that way.

Another spot is to the North where the main ramp is (across from the pub so you will find it easily). If you go out 200m(approx) from the bottom of the ramp and straight out from the 2nd light pole south of the ramp there is a small drop off and a bit of rubble. Fish there for mackeral and whiting. You can even at times catch mackeral from the ramp, just use and unweighted pillie. If you are chasing mackeral, go light, 15lb and no steel trace. Get a few bite offs but thats fishing.

Good luck, Clutter

jaybee
06-09-2002, 08:13 AM
Hate to put a damper on this my brother lives at woodgate he was down a fortnight ago and was saying the pros and a few amatuers have been floating gill nets out to sea..he made the appropriate phone call..(fishing was a bit lean) one guy was caught cant remember the fine but it was in the 50 thou mark. Anyway with the way the weather has been hope it has improved for your trip steve..thats something I didnt get to talk to him about do they still catch barra in the burrum
cheers.

joshcarty
10-06-2008, 09:30 AM
do they really catch barra in theodolite. i never heard that b4. very interesting.