PDA

View Full Version : what taste better:

scarpenter4
25-07-2002, 06:14 PM
what taste the best

jack_attack
26-07-2002, 09:59 AM
Had there been Sand crabs or Mangrove Jack the decision would have been a lot harder #http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm16.gif Mark me down as a Mud Crab voter

Finnie
26-07-2002, 04:32 PM
Jeez, no-one's thrown a vote in for the crayfish yet! A plate full of freshwater yabby tails with a bit of salt and vinegar thrown in........the mouth's watering now I can tell you!!!

Fitzy
26-07-2002, 06:29 PM
Murray Cod on the menu?
You're breaking my heart. :'( :'(

That's like asking a Hindu what beef tastes like.

Anyway, a good topic.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

sweetlips
27-07-2002, 03:07 PM
Ummm would have to say.....damn it all of the above but what happend to Tailor???? Yummo with no more than lemon and parsley oh.....! and not forgeting home made fresh bread loaded with butter & washed down with a finely vintaged XXXX. ::) :-X Wadda ya say boys????? ;)

Ben202
08-08-2002, 09:16 AM
One of the nicest fish ive had was actually Dart, on fraser island while we were camping there.

Strait out of the surf, scaled, gutted, wraped in foil and chucked on the barbie :o :o ;D

gruntahunter
08-08-2002, 01:42 PM
Sweetlips , I think I love u hon .lol.If ur coming to the pin this weekend I',m lookin for u after I catch a couple of tailor. 1 for , 1 for me .lol ;)

jaybee
08-08-2002, 03:13 PM
n e fish straight out the water and cooked is prime tucker..stuff the xxxx vb is better..but then beer bloats ya n u cant enjoy a big meal.. ;D

Harrya
09-08-2002, 04:12 AM
Hi Guys I have read the replys and another one that was over look ,
The Old Leather Jacket Or Butter Fish !
Easy to skin no small bones all right to eat too. Deep sea Mullet are ok to,
and so are a lot of other Freashly caught fish and that makes all the differents what do you have to say about this My fellow fish eaters?
Harrya

scarpenter4
13-08-2002, 03:20 PM
leather jacket is pretty ordinary mate

gruntahunter
13-08-2002, 03:31 PM
I'd rather eat mullet gut .lol

gruntahunter
13-08-2002, 03:31 PM
without the onions

jaybee
13-08-2002, 03:36 PM
why grunt didnt u catch n e fish on the weekend ;D ??? ???

Dr_Dan
19-08-2002, 11:56 AM
You forgot the most important. A nice blue salmon baked in coconut cream and stuffed with prawns, i think, is the ultimate of all fish feeds. Although you can't go passed a nice grilled fillet of mackeral.

aquarius
19-08-2002, 12:58 PM
One species of fish often caught and overlooked while deep sea fishing on the coastal reefs is the bandid sweep.
Next time you catch one give it a try in the frying pan....you will be :osurprised at how much flavour these little fish have.
Cheers Brent http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm24.gif

spinna
19-08-2002, 03:05 PM
Flathead and kingfish cant beatem 8) :) ;) :D

fishy_phil
24-08-2002, 05:33 PM
what ever happened to the humble bream??? ive often sat down to a meal of it. what do you guys say especially if caught on the beach!!!
phil

Smithy
01-09-2002, 01:21 AM
Best Pelagic - Wahoo just beats Spanish Mackerel. I prefer to BBQ Spanish but Wahoo can be cooked anyway and it still comes out nice. Mahi Mahi is also good. It really does look and taste a bit like chicken breast. Don't freeze if for long though and eat it as fresh as possible. Small fresh AJs have also been nice. The most overated pelagic would be Cobia. I like the texture but I find they have a real fishy taste. I don't like fish with an overpowering fishy taste. They also have a big blood line which needs trimming out. I don't like the small mackerels because of this either. Their texture is also not as good Spanish for instance.

Best Demersal - Red Emporer without a doubt. The way the flesh comes apart in big gems, mmmmm! Sweetlip of any species would be next. Sweeties can get a bit rubbery if frozen for too long though. I find Pearlies a bit overated. They don't really have a taste of their own and they cook up a bit soft with no real texture. Trout are also overated. I like snapper. Nice texture and taste all of its own, it well, tastes like Snapper. Squire also cook up real fluffy. By this I mean it nearly melts in your mouth. The few Rosy Jobs we have caught this year have been excellent. Cod of any size or species are also good. Fillet recovery isn't that good but you can't stuff it up when you cook it. Nannygai can be a bit funny at times. Haven't caught many Small Mouths but Large Mouths can get an overpowering flavour at times especially in the bigger ones we have caught.

In all of the fish I eat I prefer either no taste or a mild taste but with a good texture.

mick
01-09-2002, 08:24 AM
a scotch fillet toped with bacon and mushroom sauce and cheese melted on top.

otherwise id agree with ben02, a dart was the nicest fish ive eaten, then coral trout, grunter if cooked right.

tartare sauce on everything

Rumpig
01-09-2002, 06:21 PM
Give me a 'roo steak ANY day! plenty of pepper and a bit of salt MMMMMMMMM *drool*

But if it has to be fish, nigger or pig straight off the rocks (well away from sewerage outlets though ;))

Henry
08-09-2002, 07:27 AM
In my humble opinion nothing beats fresh Port Phillip Bay Flathead fillets lightly fried in BUTTER. :) ;) ;D