PDA

View Full Version : Storing Beach worms

dunc
02-09-2002, 12:55 PM
Is it possible to store beach worms for long periods of time( a week?)?
If so how do i do this/what do i need.
Do they need foood or other worms to survive?

Does anyone know?

Dunc

Fisherman02
02-09-2002, 02:26 PM
hey dunc
mate there is only one way im aware of too store worms and that is too stick em into some white vinegar (that kill them and keeps them hard when you defrost them) then chuck em into a small bag and chuck em in the freezer. If you are talking about keeping them alive for that long im sure one of the other guys on here could help ya out
cheers jack

dunc
02-09-2002, 05:26 PM
thanks jack
i did mean keeping them alive but ill keep your suggestion in mind

thanks anyway
dunc

Fisherman02
03-09-2002, 04:07 PM
no problem

kevin
04-09-2002, 01:39 PM
The only way that I have had success with is covering them with cool sand and placing them onto newspaper with more sand then wrap them up with 4 or 5 sheets of paper place in a cool shaded place they will survive for about 2 days only if the worms have been caught with your fingers
Hope this helps Kevin

recfisher
11-09-2002, 06:36 PM
Hi Dunc,

Don't know about perserving them in vinegar...probaly works pickled worms. Well I normally get them drunk on with a bit of metho to kill and perseve them. Then roll them in a little sand and freeze them singuarly.

Now as far as keeping them alive for a while I normally keep them in one of those foam veggie boxs half full of saltwater with a lid on it and in a cool area. Then change water daily and pick out any broken ones to keep water as clean as possible. Usually still have some left after a week but more likely i have used them before that long. Adding a teaspoon or two of bottlewash helps as well mixed into the water. ( helps kill any bacteria in the water )

Have never tried feeding them. Wouldn't like my chances of feeding them probably kill them if you did try by polluting the water.

Another way is to have a saltwater fish tank set up to keep them in.

Anyway when you want to use them put them into some sand and wrap up for use like in the bait shops.
(the reason being is to toughen them up a little and make them easier to handle putting on a hook)

Well that is my threepence worth.

Recfisher

J_Large
17-09-2002, 05:08 PM
i'd go with recfisher's advice.. i was shown for the first time just the other day on how to catch them and was instructed to keep them in clean salt water and take out the broken bits... all should be well.

:)

ED_MASLEN
09-04-2008, 09:03 AM
can any body help me. i live in Mackay Qld and looking to buy or lease a permit to harvest beachworms. Eddie

Noelm
09-04-2008, 09:25 AM
been down this Road a dozen times before, I have found that if the Worms are still alive, just put them straight in the Freezer, they will defrost just like new, seems to be even better if there is a bit of Saltwater in the bag, not a lot, just a little bit,tried Metho, colouring and all sorts of secret things, but plain old frozen works just as good as anything for me.

Noelm
09-04-2008, 09:27 AM
OH, and I have kept them alive for a couple of weeks in a small Fish Tank with a normal old pump and Air stone, it does appear to help if the Worms are intact and not broken beforehand.

coucho
09-04-2008, 10:23 AM
My grandad used to sundry them then soak them in water for a few hours when he wanted to use em dunno how well it works but he used to swear by it.

Freeeedom
09-04-2008, 04:45 PM
When I'm camped on the Teewah beach I keep them alive in buckets of fresh seawater kept cool and changed regularly. The whole ones last a few days, but it's important to freshen them up again first thing every morning. When I come home the rest are put straight into metho for about ten minutes - this preserves them and also draws a lot of water out of them, making them much firmer. They are then dried and frozen in ziplock bags. They are still an excellent bait in this condition.
If you want to sand them and wrap them in newspaper it's important that you mix them with cool dry sand (dig a hole on the beach above the high tide line) and then wipe the sand and mucous off each worm individually. This allows oxygen to easily get to the worm's body. Then toss them again in more dry cool sand before wrapping them loosely in damp newspaper and store in a cool place. The water will evaporate from the newspaper helping to maintain the cool environment - if necessary dampen it again once or twice a day. You can keep them alive for up to three days this way
Cheers Freeeedom