PDA

View Full Version : Estuary Pelagics

bo_sawyer
14-09-2002, 03:52 PM
Hi all,
Here to get your opinion on why there seem to be more and more pelagics entering our river systems. Pelagics such as; GT's, Queenies, Tarpon, Tailor, and even cobia make there way into Noosa from time to time.
Why would these desirable fish becoming into our muddy creeks and fished out waters. Comments are appreciated.
Bo Sawyer

J_Large
17-09-2002, 05:10 PM
well. i have a few theory's u can take your pick from..

1. they saw rex hunt get on the charter boat.

2. they realise the PRO's can't go into the esturies.

3. they got bored of the same scenery in the deep water and wanted a change.

4. they followed the bait fish in.

5. they knew people like us can't catch as many fish because of the PRO's.

:) ;)

Finnie
18-09-2002, 08:31 AM
Hi Bo,

Are the rivers running into the estuaries you are talking about pretty dry? One of the things that can happen when freshwater inputs into estuaries are reduced is that a "saltwater wedge" moves it's way upstream. All this means is that the change-over point between freshwater and saltwater moves its way further upstream because there is less fresh to flush it out. This allows fish species that don't like freshwater much to move further up ther river than they would usually.

I was told today of similar events in the Clarence River, NSW. Apparently they are catching Jew and other saltwater species a long way upstream of Grafton in areas that are usually too fresh. I have a friend who is about to start her Honours looking at the movement of a salt wedge with changes in freshwater inflows to an estuary...interesting topic!

Of course, there may be a completely different reason up at Noosa ??? but that's my 20 cents worth

Cheers,
Finnie

bo_sawyer
18-09-2002, 01:14 PM
Hey guys,
well i think the reason is (well for noosa anyway) is that in quite a few places, the councils dumping alot of sand (especially in the newly developed housing areas) This makes the water more clean, and the pelagics (especially cobia) love this. Other reasons could be, there is more food(baitfish) and it might be warmer as you go up the estuary system(most pelagics love the warmer water) What do use think???
Cheers
Bo

mackmauler
18-09-2002, 02:13 PM
Noosa River has had for many years a huge variety of temperate and tropical species, just check Grants Guide :o Most of the pelagics like strong flowing water and the amount of retaining walls in the lower reaches of all SEQ rivers provide ambush points for these fish and the amount of draining water has been increased through canal developement, widespread adoption of sportfishing methods in recent years that specifically target the predatory fish is I'd think a main factor.

michael_mad_fisho
19-09-2002, 06:45 AM
and also i think that they would be chasing baitfish into the estuaries

bo_sawyer
19-09-2002, 03:35 PM
Hey guys,
Mackmauler, you know your stuff!
Any fishing tips for around Noosa mate? lol
Cheers
Bo.

mackmauler
20-09-2002, 04:19 PM
Since where on the subject of pelagics try to get over the bar on a good day late in summer laguna bay is alive with stripies and mactuna a highspeed eggbeater 6kg line and 20gram slugs will give you plenty of exercise. I find the river real hard work, I like the bass fishing in the narrows this time of year, but mostly I go there to sightsee :o the riverfish arn't very obliging during business hrs, and you see most of the locals heading out under the cover of darkness.

bo_sawyer
21-09-2002, 03:27 PM
Hey mate,
To much work? I find that in Noosa river, bait has got alot to do with it.
Live herring, prawns and yabbies are perfect! They'll land any species in the upper river. But dead baits just get picked by lil' fellas. Time is also another factor, early morning and late afternoon seem to be the way to go, and that's when i've found best results.
Cheers
Bo.