PDA

View Full Version : Tweed Area Fishing Spots

Big_Muddie
21-09-2002, 03:43 PM
Hi Folks.

I'm heading down to the Tweed area for a couple of days next week to stay with my son. Taking the boat of course - goes without saying.

I haven't fished the Tweed area for many years, and never from a boat.

I'd appreciate some advice on spots worth trying (estuary only - no outside fishing). I'm not looking for secret spots etc - lol - they generally aren't forthcoming.

Also, can anyone recommend a good launching ramp?

Thanks,

Michael

kevin
21-09-2002, 04:20 PM
There are a few areas to launch Kennady Drive down towards Boyds Bay Bridge,on the south side Fingal boat ramp.
Try the upper reaches of the Tallabugera creek towards towards Seaguls Club near the oyster lease
Kevin

SteveCan
21-09-2002, 05:21 PM
The Ramp at Fingal has good facilities and room. It also gives good access to both the river and Terranora creek systems.

We have found that doing a drift over the sandbank about 1 kilometre in from the mouth is a worthwhile exercise - but only if the tide is just starting it's run back in. Otherwise the water flows too fast.

Good Luck! ;)
Steve.

Heath
22-09-2002, 05:46 PM
There are a few areas to launch Kennady Drive down towards Boyds Bay Bridge,on the south side Fingal boat ramp.
Try the upper reaches of the Tallabugera creek towards towards Seaguls Club near the oyster lease
Kevin

Jesus Kevin are you trying to get this bloke losted or what ;D

Tallebudgera crk has nothing to do with Seagulls nor Oyster Leases. :o

The best ramp for Tweedheads is Kennedy Drv, Just past Scales Seafood. From here I would suggest you head towards the bridge, under it, then around to the right, past the mored boats, then follow the channel around to the left. You will see a rock wall, it drops off very quickly & the fish school up against it. It would be worth a try. Also if you follow the channel to the end marker where the 2 tributries meet, is a good haunt for Blackfish also. Trevally & Queenies enter the estuary as well. The walls along the entrance to the Tweed river produce some good fish, Jew & Jacks to name a few, however I would be cautious on a run out fishing there.

Big_Muddie
22-09-2002, 06:02 PM
Hi Folks.

Thanks for the tips - I'll check them out.

Heath, it's OK - even though I haven't fished the Tweed R I know the Gold Coast pretty well. I had assumed Kevin got things a bit mixed up.

Thanks,

Michael