PDA

View Full Version : Help - Soft Plastics from land at night

Beggsy
26-09-2002, 09:02 AM
Hello All,

I was in Budds on the weekend to get some hooks and ended up being talked into buying some Soft Plastics. I explained to the guy that I was land-based and only fished at night - that's okay he says and sells me some luminous Sliders with 1/8oz jig heads - You're sure to catch fish with these he said.

So, after 3 nights now of flinging these things all around any patch of mangrove or reef in the area, so far all I've caught is one lousy little Pike (and the slippery little bugger nearly bit one of my fingers off!!).

I'm using a nice little 6ft rod that's nice and light and great for flicking, with only 3kg line as directed by the Sales guy.........
I carefully dip the jig in Tuna Oil regularly to make it smell nice, I shine the torch on it for the required time to make it glow and I'm pretty sure I'm casting it in the right general direction close to structure(but who can tell for sure in the dark?)

I have to own up that I am only using this between bait fishing (which has also been pretty ordinary). So I'll cast to the same general area 4 or 5 times then move a little or go check my baits.
By night 3, I got a bit bored and didn't really keep at it for long.

Now, Tackle salesmen being honest blokes, I reckon it can't be the Plastics he sold me, so I must be doing something wrong.

Any tips from you experienced Plastic flingers out there????? How long do I keep casting to the same area ?
If I'm not getting anything with my bait lines, should I not bother with the Plastics?
Heeeeelllllllllppppppp!!!!!!

CHRIS_aka_GWH
26-09-2002, 11:06 AM
beggsy,
never used plastics at night but are you giving them lots of action, soft plastics imitate prawns & small fish so little flicks is the go ocassionally giving the surface a little ripple. It's the noise (its pressure waves thru the water) & sight of the lure that'll attract the fish - the smell aids the hook up. Small jet black surface poppers could be worth a go too.
Bottom line though - you can't catch a fish that isn't there - don't punish yourself too much ;)
chris

michael_mad_fisho
26-09-2002, 04:01 PM
hey beggsy i had a experience to day with soft plastics and caught myself a tarpon but the way i was taught to cathc bream and other species was a slow lift when the jig hits the bottom and then a couple of flicks and jigs and then repeat that

i bought the same jigs as u say on tuesday cya michael

BOMBER
27-09-2002, 06:05 AM
Hi Beggsy,

Softies definitely work at night have been fishing them this way for sometime I have improved my catch by dipping softies in Ainseed, Glow in the darks are the go I only use 1" and 2" Grubs though, but doubt whether this makes a difference will be trying 3" and 4" shads in the next few weeks for Jacks at night. Main thing is the old bug bear structure structure structure find it and you will find the fish, hope this helps .

Regards,

THE BOMBER

Beggsy
27-09-2002, 06:21 AM
Thanks folks,

Well done Michael, I'm jealous.

Bomber,

Thanks for the advice......

Once I find a likely spot with nice structure etc, should I send in some berley?
Also how long do you stay in the one spot? (I've been getting the edgars after 4-5 casts and moving on) Should I just keep casting to the same spot for hours?
What line do you use ?
Where do you get your Aniseed?

I'm bloody determined to get this right now..... you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Thanks again.

BOMBER
27-09-2002, 07:02 AM
Hi Beggsy Again,

The aniseed can be obtained from health food shops not cheap though don't go for the essence which is cheap but not the real thing nowhere near concentrated enough, I use 10lb fireline with a 14lb vanish leader some use a lighter leader but what I catch and where I fish is pretty nasty. How long to cast at structure I usually throw about 2 dozen casts at each piece and then move on can always come back later to give it a try again. The tides I tend to favour are 2 hours either side of the high, once again hope this helps.

Regards,

THE BOMBER

Beggsy
27-09-2002, 08:37 AM
Thanks Bomber.........

Well I can only keep on trying

If I catch anything, you'll probably hear the screams!!