PDA

View Full Version : coffs harbour creeks

fishy_phil
14-09-2002, 02:31 PM
gday everyone
i was just wondering if n e 1 fishes around coffs harbour for bream jacks n flathead in the creeks???
what gear lures info would be appreciated.
thanks
phil

stevedemon
14-09-2002, 03:40 PM
Hi Fish-phil
I use to fish Coffs harbour years ago and the best place I found was boambee creek (don't count on the spelling of the creek) but any where along right to the old railway bridge was great for all fishing Flathead, Bream, Jewies, Talior but as for jacks could not tell you.

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve :P

Finnie
18-09-2002, 08:19 AM
Hi Phil,

Do you have a boat or are you land-based like me? My favourite Coffs-area creek at the moment is Bonville Ck at Sawtell (about 10km S Coffs). Haven't been doing much lure fishing (perhaps you can explore that one for me and let me know) but towards the low tide it's a champion place to pump some yabbies and fish the channels running through the sandflats there. I was there on Sunday and there were boats upstream of the sandflats everywhere so it is a popular spot.

Within half hour drive from Coffs north and south you have some great estuary fishing. I'm still only scratching the surface down there, but having a great time doing it!

As far as gear goes, for the smaller sand-flats stuff I have a light spin outfit.....a 6ft estuary rod rigged with 6lb line. You can pull up surprisingly tough fish and there isn't much structure for them to hide in. If I want to go the next step up I have a Shimano Bullwhip rod with a Calcutta 300 baitcaster rigged with 12lb line that has handled everything I've thrown at it so far (although I've never had to hold a Jack with it).

As far as lures go though I couldn't tell you.....maybe you can let me know when you find out!

Cheers,
Finnie

fishy_phil
18-09-2002, 02:46 PM
gday finnie

thanks for the info its all appreciated.well anyway ive got a mate who lives down in coffs n he fishes bonville and boambee creeks but he will only tell me were he fishes if i fish with him but i havent had the opportunity to do so. but anyway ive mainly fished in coffs creek when ive fished down there and caught only small bream flathead and a 1kg+ GT on a shallow diving deception nipper.
but my question really was about jacks but how about that we meet up for a trip and go fishin for them out of my old mans canoe...if i can borrow it!!
well anyway have you fished off the jetty?? i have on a couple of occasions and mostly caught small bream and tailor but i have also NEARLY caught a big Jewie on a live trevally.
btw the jewie was around the 40-50lb mark.
cheers
phil

mickd
19-09-2002, 09:30 AM
G'Day Phil,

I'll be moving up to coffs at the end of the year so i have a growing interest in the fishing up there,
can't tell you much about it at the moment as i haven't fished there much, fished once off the southwall only caught tailor but did see a guy land a 8-9kg tuna and have fished off the jetty but only caught small fish
was interested to read about the jew you "nearly" caught there where abouts off the jetty were you fishing and how did you lose it...bugger!!
also interested in fishing for jacks have heard you can catch them off one of the inner walls near the marina
but would like to get a canoe and give the creeks a go so pm me next year if you want to give it a go hopefully ill have it a bit more sussed out
cheers mick

fishy_phil
27-09-2002, 01:55 PM
gday mick
well on the end of the 20lb line was a 5/0 suicide, a 2m trace then a 1.5 oz bean sinker to get a bit of distance, with a live silver trevally about 6 in long.
well i lost the fish at my feet when id plated it for about 45 min i was moving to where i could land it on the pontoon ,where i was fighting it from, and it got its head down and it cut me off on the pylons.
also it is true about the jacks...there are alot of them around the walls..i just havent been able to fish for them because from what ive heard they are BIG!!! fish light and you are using 30lb braid!!!
cheers
phil
hope this helps

CCLRG
01-10-2002, 11:15 AM
BOAMBEE GREEK HEADLAND HI TIDE LIVE PODDY MULLET VERY LIGHT SINKER 4G MAX 15LB LINE

IF YOU WALK ALL THE WAY TO THE TIP OF THE HEADLAND ON THE RIVER MOUTH THERE R SOME REALLY GOOD SPOT FOR BREAM JEWS CHOPPER AND THE ODD SHARK

ALSO TRY THE SOUTH WALL AT THE HABOUR WITH FULL PILLYS BIG SEA BREAM AND CHOPPERS. CCLRG

fishy_phil
09-10-2002, 05:24 AM
thanks for the tip ill have a go next time im down there
cheers
phil