PDA

View Full Version : Trolling

mon
03-10-2002, 12:38 PM
There have been acouple of posts about trolling for flathead. What speed is it best to troll at? Plus any other tips would help.
Cheers, MON.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
03-10-2002, 01:38 PM
mon,
as slow as you can with the current. If you travel against the current you'll halve the strike rate, flathead sit on the bottom facing the flow.
I got best results in a 12footer with a 15hp at idle basically just guiding the the boat along the dropoffs or with an electric doing the same. You want the lure chewing the bottom ever metre of so & a good crisp action rod so you can see it working.
cheers,
chris
PS THINK PINK, PINK PINK

scroman
03-10-2002, 03:20 PM
Could'nt agree more with Chris!
Spent quite a bit of time looking for lizards on the Tweed river. Definately go with current, i always stayed as close to the edges as you can and or weedbeds. Fav lures were RMG's in any pink pattern, I keep telling my wife size doesn't matter but we had the best results on jelly beans and size above. Bionic braid or spiderline in the 6 - 10lb mark still gives plenty of fun. Found on the Tweed the last of the rise and first of the fall (one and a half either side gave more consistent results) - each area has it's own peaks tho.
Always fun - take the camera!!!
Good luck - Scroman

Lucky_Phill
05-10-2002, 12:31 PM
Octobers Bush N Beach has at least 2 articles on Flatheads.

A pretty good read too. ;) ;D

mon
08-10-2002, 12:55 PM
Just to let you guys know. Tried the slow troll in the Pine River. Caught a flathead at 42cm on a soft plastic then my 9 yr old gets a 49cm on a Manns 5+ so he showed me up! But thanks the tips worked.
Cheers MON.

Muzzy
09-10-2002, 01:27 PM
dont use the rod holders and the catch should increase again.

no wobble no gobble (on my fish any way)

if you are trolling with a sounder, try knocking the motor out of gear when you think the lures are at a fish holding aera/structure then continue on, like a small stall, works on barra and they sit the same way facing the flow and lazy...