PDA

View Full Version : sandon river

fishy_phil
09-10-2002, 05:28 AM
gday
i was just at sandon yesturday and i would like to say the amount of QUEENFISH in there was incredible i landed 3 all around 40cm, good fun.
i was just wondering if they are good eating??
cheers
phil

sharkbait
09-10-2002, 10:20 AM
Phil - do you mean Sandon river north of minnie water in northern nsw?
If so you are lucky to live in the area, that is definitely one of my fave stretches of coastline. I didn't think queenfish travelled that far south. They are pretty dodgy to eat but if your keen to give it a go bleed, fillet and skin them. If you are keen i can put you onto some rock and beach spots in that area - believe it or not there are still back beaches and headlands which would maybe see 20 or 30 people a year - and most not even fishing.

jaybee
09-10-2002, 03:13 PM
I fished sandon river north of minnie water on a professional basis back in the early 80s moved to the tweed cause i couldnt make a living..caught more of the beach then out in the boat..the trappers had the same problem
cheers.

sharkbait
10-10-2002, 07:15 AM
so?

fishy_phil
12-10-2002, 09:00 AM
gday sharkbait
yeah it is the one to the north of minnie and i was just thinking when i first saw them that theyd be tailor but they where definently Queenies i even double checked in the grants book.
so about these spots...
cheers
phil

scott_b
12-10-2002, 06:54 PM
Phil
I went to sandon river when I was a lad and we went out about 1 to 2 miles and kicked ass on a heap of good snapper; about 120 fish in 5 hours. I would love to go back but haven't been since.
wamjam

sharkbait
14-10-2002, 09:39 PM
Phil, did you get my note?

Mozza
15-10-2002, 11:32 AM
Hey Sharkbait I read your reaponse re: Sandon River/Minnie Water. I'm heading down to Wooli next month for a couple of weeks and am camping near Diggers Rest. You're right mate it is beautiful down that way. I haven't been there for a few years but I can't ever remember seeing too many other people whenever I was there - which was always the main attraction for me. If you are throwing a few spots around what's the chance of throwing a few my way ;)

sharkbait
17-10-2002, 03:55 PM
Mozza, are you camping at Boorkoom?
If you are you should know most of the spots around there! I'm no expert on the area (or any other) but when I go I usually fish the wooli beach from wooli back to wilsons headland for whiting, bream and choppers. If you are crazy enough you can get right to the end of the rocks at the right hand side of the 4wd track on the diggers beach.(walk through the small saltwater lagoon), but only at low tide. there is some great water out there for bream and tailor (and groper, but if you do, put em back, they are way to good to catch once). When are you going, I may well be down there?

Mozza
18-10-2002, 05:24 AM
Thanks Sharkbait,

I have caught some excellant bream in the past fishing the deep water at night where the lagoon runs out. I have been out to the rocks you are talking about before - I have also seen a bloke get very close to spending the night out there also. Yes mate staying at Boorkoom. I usaully fish the rocks/beach at Wilsons. Will be there around Melbourne Cup time so will be at the Wooli hotel for cup day - can't see too much fishing going on that day.

I can't wait