PDA

View Full Version : Double Island Point

IanF
13-11-2002, 04:37 AM
Hi all

Well I had just put up a post yesterday regarding a camping trip to Double Island Point prior to those who wished to putting a spanner in the works of this great site http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm23.gif. So here goes again!

We (two couples) are heading up to Double Island Point for the weekend (from Brisbane) to do some camping and fishing http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm4.gif. I have not been up there before and so am after some general information. How often does the barge cross the noosa river? I assume we will need a low tide to get a run up the beach to the camping areas (freshwater camp etc)? How do we go about getting a pass to use the national park and camping grounds? Also some tips on fishing spots, bait etc and what may be biting would be very much appreciated.

Thanks a heap
Ian

bugman
13-11-2002, 06:13 AM
Ian,

The barge is at Tewantin - turn right at the service station. It is a cable barge that only runs across the river so basically goes every 5 minutes. Cost is about $5.

Low tide is best of course for travelling up the beach but I've managed to get up there before right on high. If it's a low high tide it's pretty ok but slow. Watch the beach beacue it can often contain really big sand mounds with gullies and holes. Not really washouts.

There is a self registration camping box and information sign just as you enter the first section of avialble beach camping. It's about 15-20 kms up the beach. There's also another one at Freshwater itself. You can camp directly on the beach as long as there are no "closed for revegetation signs". I think it's about $4 per person per night.

My latest info has the weed as thick as think up there. In fact it's even been gumming up Noosa. Fishing is good pretty much anywhere along the beach in any gutter or holes you find. Whiting should be the catch of choice at the moment so if you can pull sandworms you're in. If not maybe buy some. Pippis are the next best bait and these can be found on the beach at low tide as little moungds. I've found that about 3-5km north of where you get on the beach generally holds the best congregations.

Dart are usually the by-catch when chasing whiting or you can chase them specifically using pippis as well. Just run a bit of red chubing down to your hook.

May even be some tailor still running up that way but night would probably be the best option.

The hardest thing you'll find - especially if it's a good weekend - is to find somewhere to camp that isn't right on top of someone else. It gets pretty popular during the summer months but is still a great place to be. You'll have a ball.

Bugman

IanF
13-11-2002, 08:56 AM
Thnaks for all the info bugman. You have certainly answered all my questions and now I just can't wait to get up there. Can you tell me about the fishing at double Island point itself from the rocks?

Thanks again
Ian

scroman
13-11-2002, 09:38 AM
G'day Ian!
Don't want to ruin the great info from Bugman but the downside is that because it is so accessible the crowds are there and so are the idiots. Take your own garbage bags because in peak times the provided bins can run pretty full and it is easier to take all your rubbish with you. Lake Freshwater certainly has all the amenities - take a supply of $1 and $2 dollar coins if you are keen for hot showers. If you camp in Freshwater camp ground store your food etc well (biggggg lizards - some would call them goannas!)
Tracks can get pretty churned but not too challenging. Fishing from the rocks I have found better results from Rainbow side. Go across the track north of the wreck turn right on the beach and drive as far as the sand will allow (varies considerably from month to month) Walk to the rocks and head to the nth eastern point - use your glasses to find the close channel that runs thru, on the other side there are some isolated rocks - aim for those. We have found tailor, small kingfish (winter), Jew, dart, bream and tarwine. Fresh bait certainly the go, as is dusk and dawn.
Have a great time, lookout for wankers :-/ and enjoy the scenery ;D! hope you find a feed ;) ;)
Scroman

bugman
13-11-2002, 09:57 AM
The rocks do fish well but it's hard to get to the Rainbow side now becasue of the beach on that side. You can't drive to within about 1.5km of the Rainbow side tip anymore because the beach is washed away.

Shame used to be best surfing up there to. Now it's just too far to walk.

You can get to the rocks from the Eastern side and I've caught some very good dart/bream/tarwhine from the wash just out from the first rock.

Not bad but just watch the weather.

Bugman

Lachie1
14-11-2002, 01:15 PM
hi fellas,
while i was up that way last christmas holidays we caught some nice dart a bout 1km north of DIP, also we caught a small 2kg spottie mackrell and a few tailor and bream and dart off the S - SE side of the point we pillies as bait with good succses for all species while pippies went best for dart and whiting
Cheers Lachie