PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know how to catch Garfish?

lincoln
09-10-2002, 04:49 PM
If any one knows how to catch garfish? Please reply. ??? ??? ???

spinna
09-10-2002, 06:08 PM
lincoln
The best way is to burley them up with some old bread ;)make sure you crumble it up and only use lite line about 2 or 3 kg ok .Use a small pencil float and 2 small no8 long shank hooks.You set your rig up much the same as blackfishing put a stopper on your line about the depth you want your hooks to sit put your float on then tie your hooks one at the bottom and one about 300mm back up the line then you put some split shot on just enough so the top part of your float is still out of the water have some fresh bread with you rip of a small piece and mould around your hooks.and thats about it.once you have your rig set up start to burley them up once you see them just cast out to where they are and you should hook up with some . 8)

cheers spinna :D ;) :)

lincoln
10-10-2002, 07:31 AM
Thanks spinna. Thanks to you I caught 7 Garfish and it was easy. Theres no other way I could have done it.
8)

Cheers Linc

gruntahunter
10-10-2002, 02:05 PM
Another way mate is with the castnet. ooooo naughty grunta ;D

spinna
14-10-2002, 04:58 PM
Well done lincoln ;D :D ;)

garfish are very nice to eat and great bait to 8). So did you eat them or use them for bait?

cheers spinna 8)

scarpenter4
15-10-2002, 03:44 PM
the best way is to get a floundering light and on a nice night when there is no wind and have a net on ya. They are atracted to the light and it is a really good method. I also catch squid mullet flounder and a range of fish this way. The flounder ligt will cost you about $65 but is well worth it. I caught 87 garfish the other week using this method. Cheers.

mick
16-10-2002, 05:28 AM
get a floundering light

prease exprain

what frounder right is

scarpenter4
17-10-2002, 03:29 PM
A flounder light is a waterproof spotlight that connects up to a mower battery or any 12v battery. I tow the battery in a washing basket wich is held afloat by a 2nd hand car tyre, anything u catch u just throw it in the basket it is a real succesful way of catching gars,squid,flounder ect.

mick
20-10-2002, 09:08 AM
does the light sit under the water. if so on the bottom, surface or mid column. i use to use a 5# fly rod with floating line. any bait jig will catch them.

blaze
20-10-2002, 02:36 PM
Hi mick
I catch gars the same as carpender, flounder light has a handle about 3 foot long and the light on the end at a 30 degree angle, as you walk along the light is normally held near the bottom in search of flounder, flathead etc, the light also reflex to the surface and you then see all types of fish including gars that will swim toward the light and then net them with a small landing net. the worst part of all this is when you see a large flash in the edges of the light, time to move, the best part is you get to see a really good ego system ie: all the small fish etc.
cheers
blaze

muratkarahan
28-11-2002, 01:37 PM
Hi folks
It's nice to see that garfish has fans down there too. We in Turkey use silk and sbirolinos to catch garfish. You cast the sbirolino or a 2 ounce weight with 3 - 4 feet 4-6 lb line as far out as possible and reel it in from the surface at a certain speed. If a garfish sees the silk it just jumps at it and takes a bite. As soon as you feel the hit lower your rod half feet, that way the teeth of the garfish get entangled in the fine silk threads and it can't get free. This way is great for catch and relase since the fish doesn't suffer any physical damage. The same system can be used from a boat with a speed of 1-1.5 miles.
BTW we do also use floats for garfish just like you do.
You can see the silk we use at

http://212.174.2.3/artuz/LeventDeniz/Levent/Ilgialanlari/balik/arabalik/tuzlusu/sirti/zarganaipek.htm

Greetings from Turkey
Murat Karahan