PDA

View Full Version : Where can you find Leatherjackets?

jshaw
08-01-2002, 05:50 AM
please no, not the clothing ::)

I'm mainly fish in and around Pyrmont/Glebe/balmain Sydney, and i hear that they hang around wharfs and jetties but not once have i seen the little suckers.

Has anybody got any tips/tricks?
and are they really worth the effort?

adrian
08-01-2002, 02:08 PM
hi there
in queensland i've found them on rocky reefs as well . to catch them i've used light gear . as for eating them i'm not the best cook, so i rate them as fair
anzac

fatman
08-01-2002, 06:41 PM
Hi,
Fish for leatherjackets around jetty pylons or any other stucture that has marine growth on it. #Use a lightly weighted rig with a # No6 or No8 #long shank hook and use peeled prawns for bait. The 'bite' is more of a light suck rather than the "tap,tap,tap" that is usually felt. #and use lots of berley . I sometimes fish around Kirrabilly wharf and have done well, picking up a doz or so in a session. If fishing from the ferry wharves, get a line in as the ferry departs, it is amazing how much stuff the ferries wash of the pylons and the fish go nuts feeding on it
Are they worth it ???.................fat tummy says... yep ;D ;D
cheers
FATMAN
PS watch out for the local groper populations if fishing the harbour, the fight on light gear is over real quick :-/

cris
28-01-2003, 05:03 AM
;DHi
I am a very new beginner at fishing but i found these guys at Lake Conjola on the south coast. I managed to catch 2 leather jackets.