PDA

View Full Version : trolling for flathead?

adza
25-08-2001, 12:08 PM
Hi I am new to the art of trolling lures and I am after some advice, like the best lures, time, tides and lunar phases to catch some flathead.
I will mainly be fishing at pine river and Donnybrook.
Any help would be appreciated.

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # adza 8)

Luke
25-08-2001, 01:08 PM
I've caught more flathead on lures than with bait-I think it's because I can be lazy with bait.I've used Mann stretch range with best success(grey ghosts seem good) and rmg's, but anything that gets close enough should be good enough.Kick up a bit of sand on the way through.

Brett_Finger
27-08-2001, 07:37 AM
Adza,
Try the usual places for lizards,along dropoff on the going out tide is a good place to start ;D
the manns desert sunset has been a fantastic lure for me when targeting these fellas!!
Hookin, Brett

Touchy - R.I.P.
28-08-2001, 12:13 PM
If you are trolling round the 2 to 6ft depths(cross sand banks)run a crawdad a fair way back behind your main lures,quite a lot of the lures closer to the boat will wake up a fish & when the tailend crawdad comes bumping along you can pickup a fish or two with it,I like the red/black or orange/black if you can get them plus when you go round a corner the tailender will cut across a bank into water you would think would'nt hold a fish,it's supprising how shallow some flattie will be hiding.Cheers Touchy.

Brian
01-09-2001, 07:21 AM
Hi,

Trolling for the speedy fella is a top past time and donnybrook is my area to fish although i will be giving the pine area a huge workout this summer as our club is looking at a possible tagging project in this system. Want to get the low down on the fish there ;D

I agree with whats been posted but try an support the Aussie lure industry as there are plenty of top lizard lures to select from.

If your interested in linking up to toss a line or two at some lizards leave a message so i can contact you.

davo
14-09-2001, 04:55 PM
About the flathead trolling,
One of the lures that have worked very well have been the Predatek MinMin in the shallow pattern, in fact sometimes they like them too much and take them very deep.

I hope you are releasing the larger female fish, and using a wet rag to handle them. One thing you should get is an Enviro
Net (about$80). If you have ever netted a lure caught flathead you will know how much they roll and tangle.

good fishing.
PS I'm going tommorrow.

aquarius
16-09-2001, 06:35 PM
I have been trolling for flathead for a few years and have found that you dont need a large size lure to catch the bigger fish,in fact ive caught 3 kilo fish on micro mins....rainbow colour is my favourite especially in the clear water.
The problem with trolling at present is that there is a large quantity of weed floating throughout the estuary system.
good luck in catching and releasing the breeding female fish.

MOSSY
19-09-2001, 05:48 PM
Hi, Adza. Just one to add to the lure list. I have used the Grey ghost mentioned above, but one local lure is proving very good. The Little Mate by Brad Smith (Smitty). He's a local (Gold Coast ) and writes for B&B. I'm up to 9 species on this little bugger, and it's great on Lizards of all sizes.
Regards, Mossy.

Rumpig
19-09-2001, 05:55 PM
Just speculating but I reckon a good lure for trolling for flatties would have to be the smallest pink/purple stumpjumper. It's nice and deep, got a good action and can be worked nice and slowly. ;D

Mick

trollsroyce
07-01-2004, 05:27 PM
the best lures in 6 foot of water are tilsan minnow, micromin deep, mann's stretch 5,nilsmaster invincible .best colours orange,pink,gold ;D

DaneCross
08-01-2004, 06:27 AM
pink 'micro mullets' work a treat. caught flathead to 80cm on them, outfishes any other lure in the spread.

agnes_jack
08-01-2004, 07:36 AM
Id go along with that one DC.
Last trolling session I had with the pink micro mullet, I got 25 Between 35cm and 62 cm. Another one Ive been playing with is the Viking lures-Talisman in a pink with black spots. The purple pizza color has been working well on the bass too!

;) ;) Tony

Hutcho
08-01-2004, 08:02 AM
I'd have to agree with Tony and DC on that one....Lively Lures' Pink Micro Mullet has been the most successful lure for me by far when trolling lizards. It hardly ever comes off my baitcaster and the hooks surprisingly remain pretty sharp considering the weed and sand etc they go through. You gotta lose a few lures in the process though - if you're not getting them down in the strike zone, you'll just be putting around for hours wondering why you aren't getting any fish.

Hutch.
PS. I was surprised to see this message first started in 2001!

agnes_jack
08-01-2004, 08:21 AM
Hutcho
I hadnt noticed that this post was an artifact. Seems like in this day and age Micro Mullet are the go! ;)

Tony

DaneCross
08-01-2004, 08:28 AM
geez, 2001! i didn't even look at the date when i posted... i think we've seen the soft plastic revolution since then. does anyone troll for flathead these days??

Hutcho
08-01-2004, 08:31 AM
My soft plastic tackle box certainly outweighs by hard bodied lures these days that's for sure!!! I normally troll on the way home or if some mates in the boat request a troll. But testament to the ol Micro Mullet, they say when you're onto a good thing, stick to it!

Tight lines fellas.

JB
08-01-2004, 12:47 PM
Lively Lures' Pink Micro Mullet is one of the best, trolling can be frustrating sometimes when theres weed around, make sure u have a packet of squidgy's round for these occasions and throw the plastics over weed beds and sandbars etc..