PDA

View Full Version : Tailor on minnows?

LYNDO
16-07-2002, 11:41 AM
G'Day all

While trolling the coomera river for lizards yesterday (caught one 53cm & other 57cm) I also caught and released a chopper tailor caught on a purple/pink micro mullet lively lure! and was wondering if any other fisherpersons have caught tailor on minnows before?

Cheers Lyndo

DeeGee
17-07-2002, 07:36 AM
Lyndo,
# # # # # Yes, from time to time I troll minnows around the Pin for flatties, and have caught a few tailor on them.
The last time was near the mouth of the Pimpima River. I think it might be when I'm towing lures that just reach the bottom in fairly shallow water.
Maybe when the lures cross a deeper channel, or I get too far off the edge of the bank, #they are running in mid-water and will pick up an occasional tailor or trevally.

I have also trolled small minnows specifically for tailor inside the Pin Bar.
I do it sometimes when there are no birds or surface action to locate fish, or if I'm with someone who doesn't cast very well.
When the fish are there and on the bite it can be quite successful.

Regards, Don.

LYNDO
17-07-2002, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the reply Don

;DLooks like I will now have to keep a selection of minnows as well as the slugs/raiders when chasing tailor from now on.

I was trolling along a recently formed drop off (thanks a dredge) when I caught the chopper.

Cheers Lyndo

DeeGee
17-07-2002, 09:57 AM
Lyndo,
# # # # #I probably should have mentioned that the most successful minnow type lures for tailor have been small (50 - 75 mm) shallow/medium divers - base colour white or silver.
I have also caught a few on the smallest Reflecta bibless which will troll fairly fast and is good for covering a lot of ground when blind trolling.
Regards, #Don.

craigie
17-07-2002, 12:03 PM
Lyndo,

Also got a couple of Tailor over the weekend while Flathead Trolling the 'Jumpnpin' area. Got a couple of Lizards in the 2 kg class on the same Minnow Lure - Pink Tilsan Minnow to be exact !!!

Tailor can be a fairly common capture around the areas I troll.

Cheers
Craigie.

happygilmour
18-07-2002, 06:49 AM
I have caught heaps of tailor on minnow's. The most productive for me are the Manns stretch 10+ in Blue back/chrome side and red head (Daly River Special) Excellent action, good depth and good trebles.
Cheers
Happy

jack_attack
23-07-2002, 03:20 PM
I too have had good success on Tailor on minnows. The exact same lure as mentioned in the post previously to this one. I have caught fish trolling around the Munna point Bridge at Noosa and around rocky outcrops in the Mooloolaba area. Some nice size choppers between the 1 - 1.5 kilo size.

I have found the troll speed does not have to be fast to get them either.

trollsroyce
10-01-2004, 05:07 PM
mann's stretch 10s and flatz rats are both consistent performers on the troll and for casting flasha spoons and bumper bars with a medium paced retrieve