PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate bream luring outfit

Flynny
07-08-2002, 05:36 PM
Guys ,can you help me on the best lure outfit I can buy for bream on soft plastics and tiny minnows,currently have a stealth 7' 1.5kg spinsiick and a shimano stradic real ,both of which I cast with all the elegance of a gorilla with the crabs. Of course money matters,but I want something good and workable.
Flynny

landy1
07-08-2002, 05:45 PM
g'day Flinny
that sounds like a pretty damn good outfit. the stradics are sweet and the rod sounds about right. what sort of line are you using, because when the weights get down low this becomes more and more critical. if i can cast well with the crap outfit i am using you should be able to walk all over me with that setup. ;D
cheers

sooty_mad
12-08-2002, 01:53 PM
Flynny,

Casting for bream from a boat, the maximum that you will want to cast is only about 10 to 15 metres. Given this, I would suggest that at 7 foot and 1.5kg, your rod is too long and too whippy for accurate casting.

I generally fish with Abu 1500/2500 baitcasters but I have two spinning outfits for casting very light lures. The first is a Stradic 1000 spooled with 4 kg fireline on a 6' Fenwick spinning rod that I bought in the States. The second is an ultralite Okuma spinning reel spooled with 2kg fireline on a 5 ' rod that I made up myself from an ultralight Traverse X blank. I rig both of these with a short double and a 4kg flourocarbon leader of about one metre in length.

Of these, the smaller rod is my favourite however both perform exceptionally well casting ultra light lures and soft plastics.

As a point of interest, the best Bream lure that I have found by far is the Smilin' Jack's Raw Prawn in either the 40 or 50mm size in the green/yellow or red/black colour.

Regards... David

sooty_mad
05-09-2002, 04:22 AM
Flynny

Last week at the boat show I bought the Breamin' video. It is worth watching to see the gear and the techniques that all the experts use.

Of interest all of the Queensland fisherman appeared to be using 6 foot rods while those fishing for bream down south at Forster swore by 7 foot rods. Their attitude was that they needed the extra length to haul the fish out from the oyster leases. Watching them fish the longer gear however, it would appear to me that any extra leverage gained by using the longer rods was nullified by the extra "give" that gave the fish that bit extra to get back to the protection of the leases.

I was also quite surprised by the load put on some of the fish when hooked and also the subsequent number of fish that were dropped. Surprise surprise!!!

Of interest, the last competition was won by Steve Starling fishing 2 lb line (Vanish I think?) right to the jig. Admittedly the fish were very timid but it supports my long held theory that the most successful way to catch fish is to use the lightest gear possible for the situation and to put the absolute minimum amount of load possible on a hooked fish. Fish don't spit out hooks, fisherman pull them out.

Kind regards... David

MikeC
05-09-2002, 04:59 AM
Hi My outfit might not be the ultimate, but it works very well and I can't see any reason to change.
Daiwa Firewolf rod 5 1/2 ft 2 piece IM562-2FSS with a Daiwa RegalZ 1500 [next size down would prob work well too - maybe better] 10lb Berkeley Fireline joined to a rod length of Fluorocarbon leader of similar strength. Heavier than most would use, I know.
Mike

damons33
06-09-2002, 07:38 AM
the outfit u have is perfect try using some 4lb mono,the longer rod is great for working soft plastics as it imparts more action.keep practicing-we are not all brett thomson!

Simon
12-09-2002, 12:33 PM
I'd agree with damons33 that the longer rod makes it easier to impart action into the plastic.fine diameter lines make a big diference to casting ease as does knot size. The only thing I can think of against many of the longer rods is they can have softer tips which can make setting the hook harder on the softer bumps. i think it mostly comes down to technique and practicing the right technique.

Cheers

Simon.

trollsroyce
10-01-2004, 04:31 PM
shimano stella 66 with a1500 regal z 6pound fire line and 6 foot of 12 pound platapus super 100 as a leader works for me just fine and it's within most budgets

Duncs
11-01-2004, 01:49 AM
If you want the ultimate then go check out a Black Diamond Bream Reaper but you'll be parting with about $400 for it. I've only played with one so far, but it is the ducks nuts for light luring. If the budget is tighter, the Wilson sovereign is an excellent IM8 graphite rod for about $130. Your local custom rod builder should be able to knock up a really nice Samuari S001 or S002 for somewhere inbetween those two prices.

Cheers

Duncan

flytime
11-01-2004, 06:07 AM
Hi flynny,
Just brought a 6ft 6 stella rod and a Daiwa samurai-3i 1500 reel.Spooled with 4lb yellow fireline.Iuse a 2m leader of siglon flourocarbon as it seems to cast better. The whole setup cost about $220. After watching the bream series on tv it's inspired me to have ago! All i need is on of those good looking hornets of yours
Regards Steve #:)

rainbear
11-01-2004, 12:31 PM
I've been using Shimano Backbone 2-4kg Baitcaster, Shimano Bantam reel on it with 2kg Platypus Platinum with a favourite lure, the little rio prawn. Or my Traverse X 5.5 foot spin stick with a little Shimano and once again 2kg Platypus Platinum. With minnows my favourite is the micro mullet.

Zeeke
11-01-2004, 05:58 PM
Geez Flynny, i reckon with guys like Tim Morgan and Schoey in ur ranks they'd line you up with a sexy bream outfit.. but these are my main bream spinning outfits

6'6" Black Diamond Tailored Rods Bream Reaper with Shimano Stradic 2500 spooled with 4lb and 6lb Firelines (2 spools come with all stradics)

7' Black Diamond Tailored Rods Bream Reaper with Shimano Stradic 1000 spooled with Smoke and Flame 4lb Fireline

7' Black Diamond Tailored Rods Bream Reaper with Shimano Stradic 1000 spooled with Smoke and Flame 4lb Fireline

6'6 Gary Howard Custom Built Samurai 002 with Daiwa Kastor 2000 spooled with 4lb Smoke Fireline

3'6" Shakespear Uglystik with Synergy 2000 spooled with 4lb Smoke Fireline

i mainly use 4lb and 6lb Berkley Vanish or Ecogear Yamatoyo Leader Material (bloody exy!!)

but those are my outfits, for our area around here tho Flynny, i reckon a 7ft bream reaper would suit you perfectly, especially setup with a size 1000 reel and a spool full of 4lb fireline!

Tim

PinHead
12-01-2004, 09:57 AM
You have 5 rigs just for bream Zeeke??? I will just stick to the same setup I have been using for donkeys years.

spike2
12-01-2004, 12:01 PM
for mine the best bream rods are made by ian miller his latest range include two 7 '.6 '' rods one in the 1-2 kg and 0ne in the 2-4 kg these rods cast unweighted plastics out of sight and still have the low dont grunt to turn the big bream , they were used to win this years abt grand final
these rods are very expensive and not worth it unless your life depends on catching bream , im saving up to buy two ;D ;D

Zeeke
12-01-2004, 01:44 PM
yes Pinhead, 5 rigs for bream luring.. and im saving up to buy another rig soon.. might get a Millerods like Spike is talking bout, ive given them a go, nice rod, still in my price range tho

want a price list too??

all the stradics cost $249 each
Daiwa Kastor went for $110
Shakespear Synergy was $30

6'6" Bream Reaper cost $395
7' Bream Reapers cost $440 each
6'6" Gary Howard Samurai 002 usually cost around the $120 mark
3'6" usually go around the $60 mark

Tim
p.s. Who ever said fishing was cheap

12-01-2004, 06:38 PM
Hey Zeeke,
Why did you go with the bigger 2500 sized stradic on the 6'6 Reaper?

And spike which one did Chris use in this yr's final? The heavier 2-4kg stick i am guessing (n.b. why was it reported that he was using the 7ft model?) Either way, both very sweet broomies!

Zeeke
12-01-2004, 06:41 PM
Leet, i use the 6'6 reaper as my main hardbodys rod, i find with the 2500 spool, it'll spool the line of more neatly then the smaller reels will with a hardbody.. less twist if ya know what i mean.. .. still get great accuracy and long casts.. can usually hit a coffee cup from 15 meters away..

Tim

12-01-2004, 07:00 PM
Rodger that mate.
Just wondering, on your 7ft and 6'6 Reaper how long can you cast a 1/16th jighead?

Zeeke
12-01-2004, 07:25 PM
7fter i can knock out a 30 meter cast fairly easy.. on the 6'6 i can cast a bit further.. different length rods.. the shorter ones seem to be more solid and force a lure out further, the 7fters seem to be more distance and accuracy.. also the action of the rods have alot to do with it.. the 7fters are a medium fast action where as the 6'6 is a very fast action

Tim

spike2
13-01-2004, 02:23 AM
there seems to be a trend for bream rods to be getting longer only 2 years ago a six foot rod was the norm then they went to sis - six then 7 foot and now 7 foot six , and last week l was reading about a new 8 foot rod , im not sure where it will end , l do beleive the latest 7 foot six rods give an advantage it will be interesting to see if the rods continue to grow

basserman
15-01-2004, 10:32 AM
6'7" samurai 004 paired with a stradic 2000 6lb fireline 12lb vanish leader

never had problem handling most of my bream and bass even the odd dollie offshore
only prob has been when the bigger fish come home and i need to go up in my gear