PDA

View Full Version : jacks north or south of brisbane?

stephen_t
29-01-2002, 05:01 AM
folks
I have a week off in feb I would like some feed back on which direction I should head from brisbane for Jacks I dont want to drive for more than 2 to 3 hours. :-/

Luke
29-01-2002, 06:47 AM
Can't help you there Steve-still trying to get a good one myself but there are a few blokes on the board that should be able to help with some spots. I'm interested too. Have a look at Nuggets reports.
Cheers Luke

PAYNE
29-01-2002, 11:40 AM
Most jack anglers won't hand out info with regards to this one. Bridge pylons are always worth a go. The Coomera River (the highway bridge and railway bridge pylons) worth a go, the Monaco Street bridges (Gold Coast) Coombabah Creek bridge also. Best time is usually when there isn't a heap of traffic around and generally first thing in morning, during the evening or through the night is worthwhile. Good luck!

William_Lee
29-01-2002, 02:38 PM
Stephen, I fished at Noosa last week with two other blokes. All of us hooked 1 Jack each fishing for bream with lures and sadly for them, I was the only one with enough skill to land one on the 6lb. leader we were using.

Cheers,

William Lee

stephen_t
29-01-2002, 04:38 PM
thanks for the reply folks
to clear things up I was looking to see whats the general feeling on which direction I should I head :-/. I have read up a bit on the tweed and heard reports like william lees around the noosa area(nice 1 on landing on such light line), so sorry if any1 thinks I`m look for certain spots :-[, only just a general direction north or south and thanks on the tips for down goldcoast Leeann.... :)

stephen

Fitzy
30-01-2002, 05:48 AM
I'd say toss a coin Stephen. You about an equal chance on any given day within a couple of hours of Brisvegas. Any water with a bit of structure is a chance of holding a Janet or two.

Slates
30-01-2002, 07:53 AM
G'day Stephen.
The old man lives in Maroochydore and does pretty good around that area.
He mainly targets rock bars and bridge pylons using live bait and lures.
I've sworn secrecy ;) with dad's few jack possies but:- just North of Bli Bli, there is an area known as Dunthin Rock.
This area of the river is laced with rock bars (there are some 'go slow' areas with unmarked rocks 20cm under the high tide mark so be careful!!) where I've heard of good jack captures.
We gave it a shot once, but they were shut down pretty much everywhere and we didn't lose a bait or get a touch on lure.

Good luck!

Great fish

Cheers, Slates

stephen_t
01-02-2002, 11:52 AM
thanks for the tip folks ;D
I went with fitzy`s idea and tossed a coin I think the coin landed on its edge I`m going down the coast the 1st week and then heading up north where slates reckons then up to noosa...
love my fish`n
at least I`ll be in the right direction north and south...... :D

Jack_Lives_Here
01-02-2002, 01:06 PM
Stephen,
If there is structure and deepish water, there will be jacks. I normally look at my brownies coastwatch book when I'm looking for new areas. Normally takes a few trips to sort out the best snags, rocks bars etc.
They get very shy with traffic, so early is the go or even mid week - the hotter and steamier the better. I look back at the diary for weather, tides etc.
Leeann is on the money with her suggestions. ;)
My best one to date came very, very local to Brissy (pic on the general chat section).

Persistence Luke. You'll crack it.

Jack

adrian
06-02-2002, 07:15 AM
hi steve
the rest of the reports are right north and south . when you head north try the bridges at any of the main water ways . mates have nailed a few with pillie tails must give it ago too . hard to choose which your way seema good

good luck

anzac

Heath
12-02-2002, 05:11 AM
With JAcks it is all about structure. Here are a few locations for you to try.
Currumbin Creek, under the Goldcoast hwy bridge. Fish the pilons or against the rock walls on both the south & the northside.
Tallebudgeera creek, the southern rock wall towards the mouth of the creek.
Another good pruducer is behind the Goldcoast City Council chambers.

trollsroyce
10-01-2004, 05:28 PM
make sure you fish local before you travel,you don't want to drive 2 hours and come home with zip to find out the neighbors kids have been catching jacks 10 minutes down the road ,i've heard of plenty of jacks in brisbane river and adjoining creeks

Render
11-01-2004, 08:46 AM
Out of curiosity,

What's the best method of fishing for Jacks?

What bait should be used and how should it be presented?

I'm thinking hand grenades or small atomic warheads, myself, but those interfereing buggers at the UN had something to say about that last time I tried it off an Atoll in the S Pacific.

Fortunately, we managed crack a deal to blame it on the feelthy French ::).

Caught fish, but, and the extra head is great for all-round spotting ;)

Cheers,

R

Bad_Bubby
11-01-2004, 09:41 AM
Stephen: Don't get too excited about targetting jacks, especially if you are going south of Brisbane. They have far larger numbers as you go north, though the average size seems to go down. IMO catching a jack south of Brisbane is about as likely as getting a date with Elle McPerson. Believe me, the only people who get them are locals who put in countless man hours both in getting baits/lures and locating the fish.

Now if that hasn't put you off I would recommend getting yourself some heavy mono (i.e 15kg) on a baitcaster or beefy spin rod. If you want results stick to live baits and try to avoid using excessive lead. Do not give them any line when they hit the bait, just hold on. They are always around structure, usually rocky drop-offs, though they will venture elsewhere at night (sometimes). Keep this in mind when choosing a location. Its good that some people have suggested some general areas to try. Hope you get one.

snapperhead
14-01-2004, 11:55 AM
I put up with hot humid weather here in Rocky now and still waiting for a jack saw plenty more action from these brutes down the goldy and the logan. But theres lots more other brutes to target up here I spose. Cant beat the gold coast for jack fishin easy access to good structure and easy bait collection even for land based. Good luck

sams_fish
18-01-2004, 12:28 PM
re jacks: pisk a snag any snag ifya don't get an invite in 1/2 an hour move, baits well i've caught theme on everything from livies to mullet that has been cooking on the baitboard for 3 hours, don't give up they are consistantly inconsistant, althought they are consistantly good eating
regards
sams_fish

mad_keen
20-01-2004, 01:12 PM
as usuall, jacks a tough one....it basically comes down to experience to even be close to consistent*.......they are just like people when it comes to bait, you'll just have to try everything to see what they feel like. Structure, Darkness are a couple of things that affect jacks for good results.
just give it a go and take on everyones advice.
let us know how you go.
cheers