PDA

View Full Version : Squid Jigging

frankgn1
19-10-2001, 04:09 PM
Request information on jigging for squid.
Location; Queensland Central Coast
Any relavent information:
# # # # # # Times, tide, locations, jigs, techniques etc.

Please post info or sites to visit to e-mail address in my profile

jaybee
21-10-2001, 09:28 AM
Hi frank well I cant help you with the central coast but with jigs i have found the small pink jig the best. I used to jig of the cleveland jetty now thats a few years ago. but i found the best times leading up to and after the full moon with a bit of a westerly to keep the water clear n chook pellets for burely not for the squid but to entice the smaller fish the squid like. I found jigging in around 6 feet very successful. I used a car headlamp to attract them. put a soft drink can over the terminal with wires attached..fill the can with resin..this seals the terminals...lower into the water n attach to a battery too easy...good jiggin ...

Jason_L
21-10-2001, 11:56 AM
Well. i don't know much about them. But i've seen them while diving and snorkeling out around the Kepple's

At Outer Rock just past North Kepple i've seen them on the North western side in about 6 m of water.

Also i've seen rather large schools of Cuttlefish on the Southern side of Great Kepple Island, Near the lighthouse i think it was. (big suckers)

I can't tell u exactly what time of the year it was. it might be in my dive log. but god knows where that is.

adrian
29-11-2001, 04:24 PM
most tackle stores have squid jigs and night time on jettys with lights can sometimes work or if in a boat weed beds like most who've answered i too would like some info

webby
29-01-2002, 03:29 PM
Hi Fellas, everyone has there own way of catching squid,
but i find firstly the water has to be clear and rising tide.evening or night are the best although u can still get them in day light.jetties if u aint gota boat.
catch most of mine round weed or seagrass bottoms as
anzac said, use a soft rod and keep the jig off the bottom
as the boat action makes the jig move. i generally use a float and tye one of those chemical lights you have to crack
to make it work. as the squid use eyesight only, and need to see the jig, youll know there on when the float starts to go under, have caught some monster round the banks at peel,
off the jetty tye a high powered gas lantern to a rope and
low down to just above water or u can make your own invention like jaybee said and use same technique.
you should get plenty up your way.
u could also throw a few pellets over, this will help attrach
small fish that the squid likes. hope this helps
regards

Islander44
03-02-2002, 05:36 PM
Hi Guys

I love jigging for squid.

I find the Calamari more timid and cautious than the arrow squid.

I fish around weed beds for Calamari, and use a lot of action on the jig.
I try for visual feedback as much as possible, as many Calamari will follow the jig at times without grabbing it. Being able to see this gives me an opportunity to entice the squid in by allowing the jig to sink or conversely raise it or just change its path.

I will also cast a jig behind a squid and allow it to drift into its path.

Thing is I am always trying ANYTHING to get a squids attention. They can be tricky buggars sometimes!

Maxg
25-03-2002, 12:36 AM
Well there is a squid jig supposed to be rather good, called Bait Attack, go to products, this board, bait attack. They are designed to hold a hink of meuley in a cage. Phosphorescent plastic am told that they really do work. Cheers Max

Luke
27-03-2002, 08:13 AM
Had a squid following a pink clouser till about a metre away from me down the pin and kept going for it but no hookup.

Fisherman02
01-04-2002, 03:25 PM
When I go to stradbroke I might try jigging for squid, do they have them over there near amity point?
cheers jack

jaybee
01-04-2002, 06:16 PM
Hey Jack if you still have a link to the web page i posted there the other week about straddie there is some pics and a story on jigging squid over there
cheers

Fisherman02
02-04-2002, 07:12 AM
hi jaybee i can't find the link ::)
could ya put it up again.
Coz never caught squid before but boy am i intrested!!
cheers jack

jaybee
02-04-2002, 05:33 PM
here u go jack http://www.amitybungalows.com.au/fishing.htm

have fun
cheers http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm35.gif

Fisherman02
03-04-2002, 03:10 PM
thanks jaybee!
ummmm about the squid jig at the moment i got one of those simple looking ones it is like a long oval with the barbs at the bottom its that kinda colour that looks as though it could glow in the dark. Would this be fine or should i go out and get me a fancy one?
cheers jack

Luke
03-04-2002, 04:15 PM
Hey Jack,
my opinion- don't waste your money on a fancy one. If they are there and hungry they'll go for it. It's the barbs that count.
Cheers Luke

Fisherman02
03-04-2002, 04:23 PM
thanks luke
yeah if i dont catch a squid i can go for the fish eh?

by the way should i take lures along?

Luke
03-04-2002, 04:32 PM
Hey Jack,
As a mate on this board once told me if you can fit it in take it because you might just want to use it but if your'e on foot try taking a good variety of stuff so the loads not too heavy. Have fun
Cheers LUke

Fisherman02
03-04-2002, 04:36 PM
thanks ill
c ya around
p.s ill tell ya how it goes

squidjigman
20-05-2004, 02:07 PM
In my opinion about squid jigs, the squid aren't that picky!!!! If they can see it, and they are hungry, they are gonna check it out. I usually find that if I give my jig some action to get the squid interested, I'll drop it down a bit slowly and let it sit for a couple seconds. The squid seem to think it's the time to grab the food when it sits still for a moment. Anything that glows is my motto, although color really plays an important role too!!! As well as size!!! I usually like to use the smaller size jigs, as the squid aren't as timid to grab.

Dug
20-05-2004, 04:30 PM
I have camped at the Amity Bungalows they were basic, economic and clean there is a jetty on site that has a good flood light and deep water. great fun and no driving so a few drinks and a fish are no problems.

I would invest in a few cloth covered prawn jigs they are not expensive now and some days they will pick one colour over another. In CQ I have caught them on the flats at Pumpkin Island late evening night and early morning, before dawn.

Dug
20-05-2004, 05:05 PM
I have camped at Amity Bungalows, a good spot reasonable cost, clean and a jetty on site with deep water and a spot light for squid. Barbie on site, so out of the water onto the plate.