PDA

View Full Version : Spear fishing in fresh water???

chemmy
21-02-2005, 07:15 PM
I’ve being doing a lot or in salt water spear fishing lately that I up graded my Hawaiian sling for a spear gun and I was wondering if you are aloud to spear fish fresh water

Bugman you should know the answer to this question

Michael

raefpud
21-02-2005, 09:47 PM
No No No No No No - well at least i think not - from the last i heard it was illegal in queensland, and in my opinion its a completely stupid idea, it should be banned (if it isnt already) for anyone to spearfish in any enclosed waterway, whether it fresh or not-----and why the hell did you spear a fish like that, was it a present for your mother-in-law???

I think it should be law for spearfishers to have to a license to posses a speargun, and should have to pass a test on rules and regulations before they are allowed to get all gun-ho underwater, otherwise tossers like you will just be blasting anything that swims.

Mick
22-02-2005, 03:32 AM
Raefpud, what is your problem?

Firstly, nice fish chemmy. It is legal to spear slateys and that is a legal fish, so shove it where the sun don't shine raefpud.

Secondly, Chemmy, well done for asking about spearing in fresh before doing it. It is illegal to spear in fresh water or any enclosed bodys of water. Just check with your DPI about other regs.

Thirdly, raefpud, if you want to voice your opinion, do it without your degrading immaturity. Is he holding a barramundi cod? Is he holding a maori wrasse? No!

Don't listen to this idiot chemmy. Slatey bream, which you may have just found out don't taste the best and they are not as timid as other fish, so try and start spearing other types that are harder to get. This will improve your diving and spearing which will make you a better spearo.

Good luck and happy spearing mate.

mick

mackmauler
22-02-2005, 04:21 AM
Wouldnt be many places the water be clear enough would it?

devocean
22-02-2005, 05:09 AM
Raefpud, why dont you give the poor kid a break. I think you are the tossa here. Spearfishermen are not gun ho types as they are commonly steroetyped. When you catch a fish you dont know what it is till you get it in the boat. Spearfishing is way more sustainable than line fishing because it is selective. As a spearo I have seen heaps of line fish killed because tossas like your yourself pull them in to quick then they release them. Yeh they swim away all the way to the bottom where they roll over or just lie there for a couplke of hours then they die. I am not an avid fan of catch and release for this very reason. Catch and release only works when it is done properly and this is done by about 3 percent of all fishermen.

Spearing is an art it is not like catching fish in a barrel as most people think. Its idiots like you whoi have no idea that give us spearos a bad name. By the way least we take our chances with the sharks and that puts everything on a level playing field i reckon.

So why dont you just keep you crap opinions to yourself

Devocean

liltuffy
22-02-2005, 05:12 AM
I'm on your side Mick, being an ex-spearo myself I know how proud Chemmy would have been to nail the slatey, hey who gives a rip if it ain't the best eating fish in the water, he's having fun. Good on you Chemmy it's a great sport and you will learn a lot about underwater life. Go home raefpud - you smell.

devocean
22-02-2005, 05:12 AM
By the way chemmy nice shot would have been ery quick and almost a stoner. Try a little closer to the head or the lateral line of the fish. What type of un are you using? Looks like you are using a pretty thick sear. If you want to shoot more fish upgrade your spear to a thinner speed spear made of spring stainless. About 6 to 7 mm. They will move through the water 10 times quicker and are alot more accurate. Gives you a much better chance at shooting fish further away. Those prongers dont help to much either and can do some damage to the fillet. Anyway keep at it mate the trout will come soon enough

agnes_jack
22-02-2005, 10:53 AM
Raef
Do you fish?
How do you manage to fish without hurting anything at all in a totally environmentally friendly manner?
The guy has asked for advice about wether he can or can not do it in the fresh. Judging by that I would say he cares about what he is doing and does not want to do the wrong thing.

If you fish you are not a totally environmentally friendly person either, or is that different ??? ??? ???

Good on ya Michael, enjoy your chosen sport and be a responsible spearo, no probs ;D

Regards, Tony ::)

raefpud
22-02-2005, 11:39 AM
Hahahah - I knew that the reaction from many of you would be quite hostile, I apologise for stirring the pot, but this just happens to highlight the fact that many people are fueled by emotions on their opinions, and dont make their decisions or comments either based on fact or rational thinking.

Lets give an example here :-
Devocean said quote "When you catch a fish you dont know what it is till you get it in the boat. Spearfishing is way more sustainable than line fishing because it is selective" _ obviously this comment is fueled by rage. How the hell can spearfishing be selective if you dont know what you got until you get it into the boat??? I think you just speared yourself in the foot with that one buddy.

Ok so maybe i shouldnt have called the kid a tosser, but as far as i'm concerned if he is old enough to handle a spear, he is old enough to know about reading the rules and responsibilites that go along with this privilege. Immaturity combined with testoterone and ignorance is a recipe for disaster, and please correct me if i am wrong.
If the kid is ignorant enough not to know the rules about fresh water, then whats to stop him coming up with a maori wrasse or barramundi cod?? These rules are just as important.

The only person here who has made any good points is Tony, I always respect what he has to say, and so do most others, however what we are talking about here is an ecological issue, not an environmental one, easy to confuse the two.
I'm sure there are as many negative as positive points for spearfishing, and it is important not to have biased opinions, just because we are or are not spearfishers. Lets look at the real substance of this arguement - the kid is ignorant with a dangerous weapon in his hand, just as dangerous as a fishing rod in the hands of an ignorant fisherman. The kid shouldnt have to come to Ausfish to find information he should already know. Ausfish can inform, but is not its duty to do that.
Lets have a look at the real issue here.

chemmy
22-02-2005, 12:06 PM
Hey raefpud

I am not ignorant if I was then I wouldn't bother asking ausfish and just go and spear fish where ever I want but I don't do that because that is stupid and if you think I am dangerous with the spear gun then you don't know me at all . I follow the rules and only spear what I know I am allowed to.

The rest of you guy thanks for the advice and the comments ;D ;D

Cheers Michael

Custaro
22-02-2005, 12:31 PM
Good stuff Michael!

I reckon if I dug through the photo collection I could find a similar photo of my first speared fish. It was a moke too. I would have shot heaps of them in my younger days. Better to practice on them than putting holes in the side of trout etc. while learning the art of spearfishing. Tossers will always bag spearo's for being the blame for their poor fishing ability. Sinkers are dangerous weapons too when put in the hands of a cranky fisherman taking aim at an adventurous spearo.

I know I can't because of the regs, but I would love to have a crack at spearing a big barra in amongst some timber at Awoonga dam.

Vic

banshee
22-02-2005, 02:45 PM
Devocean,your anecdotal evidence concerning catch and release,in my opinion is pure bullshit.Considering the depth of water a fish comes up from before it shows signs of stress has me wondering how you could possibly hold station and view the proceedings for the time stated,and while on the subject of "tossers",what sort of inconsiderate arrogant "tosser" would even consider spearfishing under or around an angler fishing in his boat? The gung ho type that gives spear fishos like you a bad name? While you consider your response,could you please supply the reference material that claims only 3% of anglers practice C&R,or is it only 3% know what they are doing?

devocean
22-02-2005, 03:21 PM
Banshee I only claim what I have seen with my own eyes. As for spearing around the boat it was my Dads boat and my mothger and sister were fishing out of it at the reef. Quite interesting to watch fish take a bait underwater.The 3 percent I belive is the percentage of people who know how to throw back fish properly.

Raefud I was not talking about speared fish that you dont recognise I was talking about line fishing and not being able to see what you are catching. I dont go and shoot everything that moves you choose the fish carefully when you spear. As for fishing its whatever bites and you tell me thats sustainable

devocean
22-02-2005, 03:22 PM
Catching a fish and spearing a fish are different in my book

chemmy
22-02-2005, 03:34 PM
Custaro thanks for the comment and I will pick my fish carefully
And can any of you tell me if you are allowed to spear wobbegongs (carpet sharks)because i have seen a lot of them swimming around? A fella told me you can't but then 5 minutes later another fella told me you can

cheers michael

Scott15
22-02-2005, 03:48 PM
sorry michael.

but leave the wobbygongs alone.

mackmauler
22-02-2005, 03:50 PM
Yeh Chemmy your allowed, it wouldnt stop me kickn ya in the nuts though ;D

banshee
22-02-2005, 04:00 PM
......."because tossas like your yourself...",had no idea you were refering to mum and sis.
Food for thought,if everyone that used a fishing rod,suddenly took up spearing and used only the spearing equipment as much as they did their rods,and if,all the spearos used only rods,which would be the more sustainable form of fishing?

Daintreeboy
22-02-2005, 04:02 PM
that would be rowshambo hey rob :D

I've spearfished before and loved it. Haven't done it in a while as I don't have the gear but if I had the money I'd like to go chase a few crays again and the odd Trout. Can't see how that makes me a tosser.
Sure some spearfishos are idiots, as a guess the same percentage as the idiots who are line fishermen, and I've seen quite a few of them believe me.
As for asking questions on Ausfish, crikey, that's part of what this website is about. We have recently seen a major cockup by the DPI on their website with some of their regs they've put up, including the local inspectors getting it all wrong when you call them. It doesn't hurt to ask someone and get their advice.
Cheers, Mark.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
22-02-2005, 04:07 PM
michael,

the fish in the pic is a Blubberlip Bream not a slatey. The top fins give it away - a slatey bream's top fin runs continuous the length of its body.

A slatey is not the greatest to eat. But some of its mates in the painted sweetlip family are very nice indeed. A slatey looks a grey silver bronze in the water but goes very dark once dead - thus the mis-identification I think.
(yeah I gonged a few as a teenager )

A blubberlip is reasonably decent as you may have discovered - as long as you ice it - do not taint the flesh with the gut cavity & skin it. It has a firm, semi-sweet pink flesh; like luderick.

The guys may of course call a range of things slateys. #::)

As an aspiring spearo do as you have done - ask questions & never put a spear into a fish you don't eat. Get a book of fishes to learn from - you'll have it a lifetime.

Fish like slateys (common & not shy) are good to practice the art of swimming with - don't kill them. A big part of being a decent spearo is learning to descend & swim underwater quietly & in the blind spot of a target. Slateys tend to hang in the depressions on the top of structure in groups of four to a dozen (the blubberlip would have been solo). See if you can join the back of a school of slateys & follow for as long as your breathhold allows. Fish hear bubbles so stay calm & minimise bubbles.

Another part of being a decent spearo is learning to accept sometimes you'll leave the water without squeezing the trigger. If you can't make the shot don't shoot & don't kill just to kill - we are meant to be a high life form. #;D

Enjoy the water mate - the Big Blue's a beautiful place.

chris

chemmy
22-02-2005, 04:30 PM
Hey guys I was just curios not serious about the wobbegongs

basserman
22-02-2005, 04:35 PM
No No No No No No - well at least i think not - from the last i heard it was illegal in queensland, and in my opinion its a completely stupid idea, it should be banned (if it isnt already) for anyone to spearfish in any enclosed waterway, whether it fresh or not-----and why the hell did you spear a fish like that, was it a present for your mother-in-law???

I think it should be law for spearfishers to have to a license to posses a speargun, and should have to pass a test on rules and regulations before they are allowed to get all gun-ho underwater, otherwise tossers like you will just be blasting anything that swims.
fact that many people are fueled by emotions on their opinions, and dont make their decisions or comments either based on fact or rational thinking.

Ok so maybe i shouldnt have called the kid a tosser, but as far as i'm concerned if he is old enough to handle a spear, he is old enough to know about reading the rules and responsibilites that go along with this privilege
If the kid is ignorant enough not to know the rules about fresh water, then whats to stop him coming up with a maori wrasse or barramundi cod?? These rules are just as important.

Devocean,your anecdotal evidence concerning catch and release,in my opinion is pure bullshit.Considering the depth of water a fish comes up from before it shows signs of stress has me wondering how you could possibly hold station and view the proceedings for the time stated,and while on the subject of "tossers",what sort of inconsiderate arrogant "tosser" would even consider spearfishing under or around an angler fishing in his boat? The gung ho type that gives spear fishos like you a bad name? While you consider your response,could you please supply the reference material that claims only 3% of anglers practice C&R,or is it only 3% know what they are doing?

first to banshee NSW fisherys have heald test about the impact on some fish with catch and release and while some like the flathead had very little impact other like the snapper was found to have very little chances of recovery after relase and that was even with proper venting (which alot of people do not do) even over shallow water snapper get very stressed over being caught

now to raefpud your said "fact that many people are fueled by emotions on their opinions, and dont make their decisions or comments either based on fact or rational thinking." and yet you called this poor person a TOSSER well wheres you facts to that claim you don't call that emotional opinon???
and you ask " he is old enough to know about reading the rules and responsibilites that go along with this privilege
If the kid is ignorant enough not to know the rules about fresh water, then whats to stop him coming up with a maori wrasse or barramundi cod?? These rules are just as important."

hell mate then alot of us are in trouble as i wouldn't know all the regulations and rules for EVERYTHING i do
i don't know all the regs for yabbiy fishing in nsw but as i will be doing it this easter i will find out just like this person has tryed to do

after all thats what i thought this AUSFISH fourum was about shareing and asking for help in all part of this type of lifestle fishing boating 4wding catch and release and even diveing and spearing ;D

raefpud
22-02-2005, 10:43 PM
Basserman old mate, you ask what evidence I have to back up my arguements.......well, I'll be quite honest with you, I have nothing on paper on hand here with me at the moment. What i do have you will read about shortly when i answer your questions. I will admit that I cant be 100% sure on anything, even on the regulations of freshwater spearfishing. At the moment I am working in Japan, so the local rules and regulations in Australia dont affect me much.
I didnt want to mention in my experience, evidence or qualifications in my arguement, but seeing as a few of you have asked, especially basserman, i'd better answer your questions......

1st of all, Tony... Yes i do fish, I have met you before and even purchased products from your store, you gave me a discount and you even offered to take me fishing, being a fellow Ausfish member, and I really appreciate that, I have a lot of respect for you.

Devocean, i gotta whole swag for you buddy, nothing personal mate, i like you and i love your pictures, comments and posts you put on Ausfish ok.
All i want to say is, that a fish hooked in the mouth has a much better chance of survival than one that is speared in the head. And as banshee has said, you really have no idea about fishes swimbladders, and yes if any spearfisho approached me and was swimming around under or near my boat, he would cop a 12oz snapper lead, just like Custaro mentioned that they would.

Mick and Liltuffy - please dont encourage the kid - remember the old saying "curiosity killed the cat?" now the kid wants to go and shoot wobbegongs - now why the f*#K would he want to do that - is that sport? a defenceless creature that often lays domant or totally still on the sandy bottom of the ocean for many hours at a time - even at top speed the old wobbegong moves at snails pace compared to most fish - and what the hell is he going to do with a wobbegong? eat it - i doubt it, its not sport and its not food, its a trophy kill and thats it. As mackmauler said, chemmy son, it wouldnt stop us from kicking you in the nuts.

Daintree boy - I try not to incriminate myself because my job requires me to have a proffesional working relationship with the QLD DPI, and the AFMA for that fact. Yes the DPI is partly run by a bunch of ill informed halfwits, they are constantly contradicting themselves, and are about as useful as a capful of arseholes, but they do have a job to do. Some of their job is dictated by science, ecology and the environment, and another part of their job is dictated by politics, money and legislation. They are most probably under resourced, Like most of the public service, they are not 100% efficient, and i dont think a large majority of Queenslanders have faith in the decisions that they make. The current fishing rules and regulations have a lot to be desired, but its better than certain parts of asia i have visited that have absolutley none.
I still dont believe that it is ausfish and its members responsibility to inform those that are to lazy to correcty familiarize themselves with the regulations and inform themselves. Under the law, ignorance is no excuse.

CHRIS_aka_gwh - couldnt have said it better myself, good on you, well done, thankyou.

Basserman, .... mate i dont expect you to know all of the rules and regulations regarding fishing, but i do know from a fact from reading many of your posts over the years that you are well informed and you do know the right from wrong.
I have admitted that i shouldnt call the kid a tosser, but now i read his post about the wobbegongs, i'm thinking of much harsher names. I will bite my tongue for now.
Now about my comments - you think they might be emotionally fueled, but i try my best not to allow my emotions get involved with my work (maybe in the bedroom, but definately not in the office)
As I mentioned before, I am currently working in japan, actually my office is the largest fish and seafood market in the world. I see more fish each day than you will probably see in a lifetime. I am Fisheries biologist BSc(hons)DipAppSc.(MRM) means i have qualifications in science(Marine Studies)and marine resource management. I have been fishing like yourself, probably since i could walk, I also have a background in retail sales and management of fishing tackle stores, so my statements are not made without any knowledge or experience to fuel my emotions. I dont hate spearfishos, i even know the owner and am a regular customer of Adrenaline spearfishing supplies, if that means anything. My work is totally devoted to providing better information about fish stocks, health, longevity and fecundity of all fish in the ocean - basically what i really want is a chance for my grandchildren to be able to drop a line and catch a fish, and if it means having a go at irresponsible adolescents, so be it.

jimbob
23-02-2005, 05:40 AM
Gday Blokes
As far as Im aware all the kid did was ask a question. This is a site with a shit load of very experienced & knowledgable blokes. If I need to know something this is the first place a come & I spearfish so if that makes me a tosser well so be it. And just for any one else that may need help. As a part of this web site I see myself as probably most of you do all mates, so being a mate if any of you ever need help or to know something & I can help rest asurred I wont think your lazy or ignorent just a mate in need of some advice. But hey now we have all had a rant lets build a bridge & get the F*#k over it. ;) ;)

devocean
23-02-2005, 08:09 AM
Raef why would you want to throw back a fish you have speared. You see the fish identify it and you then hunt it then shoot it. You know what you are killing so if it cant make the esky you dont spear it. Can your fishing rod do that?

Also living in Japan do you know that spearing is illegal and has been for years and years. Whats the fishing like there hey? Crap thats what its like so cant balme spearos there.

Chemmy dont go spearing wobbegongs because 1) you wont kill them because there hides are very tough and they will probably bite you if you annoy them and when they bite they do not let go. Cray divers worry alot about wobbegongs because of this very reason as they can be dangerous. 2) How are you going to fillet it? You will need a bloody electric knife. 3) They are currently being researched because not a lot are known about them check out the adrenaline.com.au website for more info.

Rememeber Chemmy when you spear you represent all other spearos so try to beghave yourself

banshee
23-02-2005, 12:34 PM
Basserman,what you have said regarding C&R and fisheries is incorrect.I contacted fisheries today and I contacted ACORF.The "test" that you say was held is in fact an on going program funded by ACORF conducted in pens in Botany Bay,to date the only fish tested have come from rivers,estuaries and shallow inshore reefs,methods of collection are 4 inch gill nets and normal line fishing(hooks),people used to collect fish consist of commercial fisherman and rec anglers,runing the show are three scientists,two from fisheries and one indipendant.The true results for Flathead,Sole and Rays is inconclusive due to losses in the pens,the fish damaged them selves on the floor due to it not being of a natural nature.I didn't go into Bream and Luderick but Snapper results showed that smaller fish mouth hooked and released with the hook in or removed had almost a 100% survival rate providing they were vented if they needed it and returned to water promptly,larger fish were totaly dependant on the amount of lactic acid build up,that is,large fish played out on light line would not fare well where as large fish caught in a reasonable amount of time,vented and returned to water had a good chance,gut hooked fish also faired well if the line was cut and the fish returned to water promptly.

ba229
23-02-2005, 02:21 PM
Ok so maybe i shouldnt have called the kid a tosser, but as far as i'm concerned if he is old enough to handle a spear, he is old enough to know about reading the rules and responsibilites that go along with this privilege. Immaturity combined with testoterone and ignorance is a recipe for disaster, and please correct me if i am wrong.

Lets apply this style of arguement to boating shall we?

Plenty of older guys who own and operate a boat don't follow the rules.

1. Ever been passed within 30m by a boat going faster than 10kt?

2. Ever seen a boat underway at night (even drifting is regarded as "underway") without the running lights on?

3. Ever seen fishing boats at anchor at night without a FULL ALL AROUND white light being dispayed? (no not one of those 6 inch high ones mounted on the transome either cause they are not meeting the requirements of the law)

The guys who operate these boats are old enought to operate them so therefore are old enough to read and understand the laws. etc etc etc (I could bang on about that one for ages)

the kid is ignorant with a dangerous weapon in his hand, just as dangerous as a fishing rod in the hands of an ignorant fisherman. The kid shouldnt have to come to Ausfish to find information he should already know. Ausfish can inform, but is not its duty to do that.
Lets have a look at the real issue here.

Applying this to boaties i am sure you agree they have "a dangerous weapon in his hand" too.

I would prefer that anyone with any question at all ask it in here rather than have me run over them in my well lit up tinnie at night cause they didn't know any different.

Ausfish CAN inform and that is the sole reason I am a member here. If you feel it NOT your duty to add information or provide advice then please hold back from the sort of rubbish you wrote in your 1st post because its DUTY is definately NOT to ridicule and belittle.

Regards

Alex

raefpud
23-02-2005, 10:00 PM
ba229 - i just think its better to nab the kid while he is still young and still learning, rather than try to teach an old dog like yourself new tricks - try telling an old salt boatie he's doing something wrong when he's been doing that same thing for the last 3 decades.

raefpud
23-02-2005, 10:06 PM
Sorry to call you an old dog Alex - better appologise before i dig myself an even deeper hole. Can I ask, Do you adhere to size and bag limits? and if you do, do you adhere to those that are stated by Ausfish memebers or do you adhere to those that are made by DPI and fisheries?

bugman
24-02-2005, 03:45 AM
Well,

I'm glad you guys have got this all sorted and under control while I was away :o.

Nothing like some interesting debate. Personally I hate dickheads fullstop. I hate spearos who are dickheads and I hate fishermen who are dickheads.

Michael - you're on the right track - spend as much time in the water as possible, ask questions and read as much literature as possible on fish identification. As far as I'm concerned if I kill a fish - I eat it. I'm not a fan of spearos who kill for killing sake but I can't control every individual.

Chris has given some good advice - I've never been a strong swimmer and do struggle to hold my breathe at depth but practise does make it better.

Just a question mate - where are you doing most of your fishing because we may be able to help you in terms of fish species your likely to encounter and some tactics to required to fish better.

Bugman

chemmy
24-02-2005, 04:14 AM
He bugman

I do most of my spear fishing around the rock wall that's just a bit north of the amity point caravan park and the last time I went I was amassed at the many different types of fish I saw

I got the slate while I was casing an average sized parrot fish

Cheer and any advice would be great

Michael

ba229
24-02-2005, 06:08 AM
Sorry to call you an old dog Alex - better appologise before i dig myself an even deeper hole. Can I ask, Do you adhere to size and bag limits? and if you do, do you adhere to those that are stated by Ausfish memebers or do you adhere to those that are made by DPI and fisheries?

Not a bad point you make here but in all seriousness I adhere to the "lawful and correct" size and bag limits.

This usually involves me going to my local fisheries website to verify this information. ;)

The question of spearing in freshwater doesn't just require the opinion of the ausfish fisho's but can also be answered by providing a link that takes the reader in the right direction to get the correct answers.

So the point I am making is that if we back up our opinions with cold hard facts then who can prove you wrong?

Many of my posts have a link of some sort associated. :)

As for "old dog"? Nah not old enough to know all the tricks and not old enough not to be able to learn new ones (I hope) #;D

Heres one for NSW only http://www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/rec/fw/general_native.htm

Gorilla_in_Manila
24-02-2005, 06:50 AM
Hmmmm .... I'm sure there was a question back at the start there somewhere...
Can you spearfish in Qld freshwater?

This may be of help:
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/11417.html#fishinggear
Extract from above page:
============================================
In freshwater areas, fish may only be caught using:

a fishing line which is an apparatus consisting of a hand held line with or without a pole, reel or rod;
a trap, which can be a canister trap, collapsible trap, dilly trap, funnel trap or round trap;
a scoop or dip net; or
a set line.

============================================

So my guess is no, but you may wish to contact DPI and clarify.

Cheers
Jeff

Mick
24-02-2005, 06:54 AM
Hey cheemy, how are you?

Just thought I would inform you of a very good training method to improve your diving.

Go down to your local pool and ask the staff if they would mind you doing some breath hold training. You will need a heavy weighted object (I use a rock about 3-4kg).

Place rock on the bottom of pool in the deep end. Dive down, pick up rock and sprint as fast as you can along the botton. holding the rock against your chest. Drop rock once you feel your lungs screaming for air and surface. (Don't drop rock too hard as to smash pool tiles) Tred water while you recover, don't hold on to the side of the pool. Repeat process, after a good length of recovery, and so on.

Another technique is too swim as hard and fast as you can without taking a breath. Time how long you go for, not how far you swim. Then recover. Next, dive to the bottom of the pool and hold onto a fixed object (ladder or something) and lay as still as possible. Close your eyes and pretend you are listening to your favourite song. Relax and don't sing, just listen. You will notice you can stay under for usualy more then twice the time you could swim holding your breath. This shows that the less frantic movements you do the longer you can hold your breath. If you don't panic and move gracefuly, you will always stay under longer.

The more you train the more confidence you'll have as a free diver. You will also be able to reach greater depths, so while ya mates are still trying to get the slateys and stripeys, you can be getting moster crayfish, jobfish, trout, emporers and the likes.

Another advantage means you go further out to sea to dive which means the water is more clearer then in close to land.

Good luck and enjoy.

Mick

PS sorry raef, I know you didn't want me to encourage him, but you obviously now know what I think of your discouragement.

PPS Chemmy and anyone else who takes up this training, MUST do it supervised. ALWAYS work in pairs, one up one down, keep a close eye on ya mates and know how to resucitate and treat shallow water black outs.

Jeremy87
24-02-2005, 07:56 AM
I think it was on landline a while back but they did an article on the survival rate of released fish. They took all the legal sized fish caught in a comp and put them in a bloody great big live tank. they tested about 5 species or so. anyway they left them there for a few days and monitored how many died. I can't remember the exact figures but snapper had roughly a 60% survival rate. The best survival rate was in the low 90's and the overall survival rate was in the high 70's. so basically if you catch something and it hooked in the gills but it still manages to swim away, the odds are that it will go ass up in a couple of days anyway. Just a bit of food for thought.

ba229
24-02-2005, 08:26 AM
Type "catch and release study" into your favourite search engine.

"The findings of the research give managers of the fishery a much clearer picture of what is happening to this very important part of the barramundi fishery. The study found that the survival of barramundi in a fresh water environment is about 90%, a fact which bodes well for the fishery, and the practise of catch-and-release. The research also found a marked difference in survival rates between summer and winter based on the fish caught in summer being more highly stressed than those in winter." taken from here (http://www.boatsnt.com/Feature.asp?Feature=27)

"How long does your catch live off the hook?
NSW Fisheries has released preliminary results from the Botany Bay Catch and Release Research Challenge held on 14-15 February 2004. The study looked at the rate of survival for different fish, caught and released by anglers.

Early results show that more than 75% of the fish caught and released during the study survived. More than 200 recreational fishers, on 95 boats, took part in the massive recreational fishing study on Botany Bay, to help us learn more about the impact of recreational fishing on fish stock" taken from here (http://www.sportsfish.com.au/library/fisheries-news/new-south-wales/newscast-apr-04.html)

and 2 very interesting articles from NSW Fisheries
photos of the holding tanks (http://www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/rec/coastal/research/rec-catch-release.htm)
and
the numbers gathered (http://www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/sci/outputs/wild/444_Broadhurst.htm)

Mick
24-02-2005, 09:32 AM
Chemmy, got this trevor while just laying on the bottom patiently and hiding. A good breath is an exellent advantage. Oh, I smoke too, and it aint help. I thought durries were a performance enhancing drug.

chemmy
24-02-2005, 09:46 AM
that is a sic fish i wish that some day i will be able to spear fish like that but for now i need to do that training exersise that you told me about thanks for that and mick do you ever carry a power head with you when you go spear fishing

once againg thanks for the advice

raefpud
24-02-2005, 10:54 AM
Chemmy - you still havent read the rules and regulations made by Qld DPI F+B have you? Every time you ask another stupid question you dig yourself a deeper hole. I can answer the question u asked mick for him - no he doesnt use a powerhead, not in queensland anyway. Powerheads are only allowed to be used by divers (SCUBA) to defend themselves from shark attack. Please do yourself and all of us a favour and read the rules, its not hard to find, i'll even give you a link being the helpful ausfish member that I am.

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/11416.html#Spearfishing

I think these rules are the basic rules, you might want to do a bit more research, especially if you are spearing around rockwalls and jetties, places that are common as fish refuge.

ba229
24-02-2005, 11:32 AM
lmfao. Thats better raef. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

basserman
24-02-2005, 12:49 PM
Basserman,what you have said regarding C&R and fisheries is incorrect.I contacted fisheries today and I contacted ACORF.The "test" that you say was held is in fact an on going program funded by ACORF conducted in pens in Botany Bay,to date the only fish tested have come from rivers,estuaries and shallow inshore reefs,methods of collection are 4 inch gill nets and normal line fishing
Bream and Luderick but Snapper results showed that smaller fish mouth hooked and released with the hook in or removed had almost a 100% survival rate providing they were vented if they needed it and returned to water promptly,larger fish were totaly dependant on the amount of lactic acid build up,that is,large fish played out on light line would not fare well where as large fish caught in a reasonable amount of time,vented and returned to water had a good chance,gut hooked fish also faired well if the line was cut and the fish returned to water promptly.

didn't have the info at hand but what you and other have said is what i was trying to say
and that was that yes the majority of fish live but toher do die after being released so it would be foolish for us to think we are haveing no impact on the fish and that every fish released is another fish back to live and grow (yes most are but some are not but that is the law of the jungle)
one thing i would like to see in more and better infomation on proper venting of fish as i would hope this would improve their chances heaps after all alot of fish get caught on reefs in water deeper than 20meters

as for raef i know you background both your academic and fishing (through timbo) so i hold yoiu word high but all i was really trying to get across is that your message proble would of been better taken if you had said something like NO you can't spear in freashwater either rivers or dams or enclosed waters so please don't BUT then again if you had then we still wouldn't be going anf this post would of died along time ago and how boaring is that ;D ;)

basserman
24-02-2005, 12:55 PM
Anchored Vessels
Vessels less than 7m in length
(a) no lights - if not anchored in a narrow
channel, fairway or anchorage or where
other vessels normally navigate.
Vessels less than 50m in length
(a) - all-round white light
Vessels 50m or more in length
(a) in fore part - all-round white light or
one ball and
(b) at or near stern and at lower level
than light in (a) - all-round white light.

alex i thought you would find this intresting is i awlays do
please note that you DON'T need a allround white light while anchored in a boat of 7m or 23feet or less in size ::)

http://www.waterways.nsw.gov.au/sbh.html

ba229
24-02-2005, 03:02 PM
lol don't present me with facts. I prefer hear say and rumour.

On a serious note, leave this one with me though. The boating handbook seems to contradict itself a little bit.

Remember the following:• all vessels (except certain moored vessels in approved
mooring areas) are required to show some form of lighting

and

Anchored Vessels
Vessels less than 7m in length
(a) no lights - if not anchored in a narrow
channel, fairway or anchorage or where
other vessels normally navigate.

chemmy
24-02-2005, 03:19 PM
Reafpud

I appreciate you giving me a link but that first comment you made was quite mean but all is forgiven ;D ;D ;D once again thanks for the link

Cheers Michael

Scott15
24-02-2005, 03:28 PM
michael. :'(

its ok u can cry if you want :'( :'( :'( ;D. lol

Scott

CHRIS_aka_GWH
24-02-2005, 03:30 PM
this is like six ******s (for you Brett gday) conversations happening at once - very "Pulp Fiction"y

michael (chemmy),

don't carry a powerhead - it is illegal for a snorkeller/spearing - give the shark ya fish thats all it wants - the shark that will get you is the one you don't see. Up on the reef where visibility is huge & so are the tiger sharks a phead could be justified ..... maybe.

I have speared since I was 14 yrs old & never needed one. I have speared up north, Cape Moreton, South Africa, Smiths etc, all over Straddie, every piece of wet rock on the coast & the Tweed. I have never been seriously worried by a shark. I have seen heaps & some big uns including a big Grey Nurse on the Amity Rock Wall.

Once you start thinking about sharks when you are spearing you lose the game. You increase your heart rate & oygen consumption & make erratic movements. You are far more likely to die driving to the beach - worry about that.

chris

chemmy
24-02-2005, 04:18 PM
scott15

hahaha your realy funny you know that >:( :( :P

Scott15
24-02-2005, 04:20 PM
lol thanks michael. dont ack as if you dont no me ;)

Scott

Mick
25-02-2005, 02:04 AM
(sing)...it was a teenage wedding and the old folks wished them well.... (pulp fiction)

No power heads chemmy, but I wish I has one the other day when this huge diver whiting came at me with snapping jaws. I was scared Sh1tless.

Ohio Reaf sun, well done for last coments. Sianara, Mick sun.

NQCairns
25-02-2005, 06:17 AM
I have still to read half the posts here ::) I have been a spearfisho on and of since I was 12 I have left a LOT of unnessary carnage behind me in my teens with a spear in hand.

This thread has got me thinking in my natural closed circuit kind of way :P.
What is wrong and what is illegal seems to no longer have have anything in common.
Is it wrong if a person at a infrequently visited reef shoots/catches and keeps a fish that is illegal to do so? The reef would never know the difference! What about on a highly visited reef near a city? would that then be wrong and not only illegal?

Is it individually wrong if a person sprays weeds with leftover petrol? it is illegal.
What about dumping 4L of motor oil down the back corner of the yardis that wrong? not just illegal! What about if the entire populuation dumped their oil around the same back yard would that be wrong as well as illegal!

To me when our gov is bent on confusing the issue by legislating against behaviour that is not wrong (like RAP) does no real harm etc and calls it illegal no wonder society is stuffed on so many levels. Right and wrong no longer exist for anyone who consider's themselves an upstanding member of society, the only test that matters is whether it is illegal or not. If anyone knows of another accepted test? i dont!
To the original poster! here is the scoop -by todays accepted standards take no notice of good old right and wrong only legalities. If you want to do target practice on 40 butter bream ask yourself only is that illegal! legality is now our only standard (just ask our betters in power) our society coverts today. So go for it because it certainly cannot be wrong to do something legal just as certainly as it cannot be right to do something illegal or can it.

devocean
25-02-2005, 10:11 AM
Power head are legal in Australia and you can buy them very easily as long as you have a firearms liscence. They are only allowed to be used for dangerous FISH there is no mention in laws about sharks. As a spearo you may use them and carry them on a boat or in the water with you. They are in fact quite safe. You dont have to be wearing scuba to use one that is a croc.

devocean
25-02-2005, 10:12 AM
When I say legal in Aust I meant queensland but if I lived in SA I think I would be invcesting heavily on a nice 12 guage or 300 mag powerhead

Daintreeboy
25-02-2005, 10:59 AM
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/11416.html#gear

I don't think this is very clear. In one section it states powerheads are not allowed yet in the other says divers can use them to protect themselves from sharks. What is a diver? ONLY someone who uses SCUBA or anyone diving? Or are spearfisherman just called Snorkellers?
Cheers, Mark

CHRIS_aka_GWH
25-02-2005, 03:21 PM
as the intention of the spearfisher is to hunt, it would be a difficult cae to argue that you did not bring that weapon into the water with the intention to do harm ... it is illegal to hunt underwater with a powerhead

devocean
25-02-2005, 03:38 PM
You need a speargun to operate a powerhead. You cannot hold a speargun if you are wearing tanks or any other type of breathing apparatus except for a snorkel. So it is illegal for a scuba diver to operate a power head because they cant hold a speargun but a freediver can. Powerheads are pretty useless against fish because you actually hjave to poke the spear into the fish the gun cant be fired. As most spearos will tell you you dont get the opoortunity to poke a fish with a gun very often. Sharks are different they will swim right up to you and you can poke them away with the gun hence a power head is effective on sharks but pretty usless on fish.

Check out the adrenaline spearfishing website where you can purchase them. Like I said before you need a firearms liscence. By the way they rae not hard to make either. Hope this clears it up a bit better

CHRIS_aka_GWH
25-02-2005, 03:50 PM
you do not need a speargun to operate a powerhead. An appropriately fashioned rod is fine. There are countless designs.

Back to the post - you don't need one Michael - you don't need one Michael - you don't need one !

Daintreeboy
25-02-2005, 06:02 PM
Devocean it is actually legal for SCUBA divers to use one, in self defence against shraks. That's the way I read it. I was just questioning how the rule applied to 'snorkellers' for self defence. As Chris said you don't need a speargun to use one which is how and why SCUBA divers can do it.
Cheers, Mark.

baldyhead
25-02-2005, 07:48 PM
Is it also true that said powerhead has to be locked in a steel box permanently attached to a vessel when not actually in use?????

crayman
26-02-2005, 06:10 AM
Nice start Chemmy :D
I have worked as a pro-cray diver and an avid free diver. If you get a chance to take a trip up north(reef country) You will be amazed at how quick some fish are. Nice shot The head is always a good option. The biggest fish i ever speared was a big mack about 16kg and that was a buzz. If you don't hitthem in the head they go for ever. Bottom fish are good for a feed and to learn on try the palagics that will give you a real test. As for that raefpud! does dive i doudt it. He probably affariad of sharks and sea snakes.Good luck with it a good lung builder in the pool or were ever you swim is to take a breath every 2 then 4 then 6 strokes and so on until you are around 10-12 strokes good idea for someone to watch you just incase you push to hard and black out. It works.

crayman
26-02-2005, 06:21 AM
Powerheads are allowed to be carried by all divers but must only be used to defend yoursself from dangerous fish. Like tiger sharks up north. When big tiger sharks come into shallow reef as deep as 30m they er normall a little edgey and as an x pro-diver i have seen a couple but never had to use a powerhead always been able to push them away gentle with end of my cray spear around the nose and underside. Me personnaly would only use one if last resort. My old boss did once and the aim has to be right on target or you could end up in more trouble.12gauge for the big shaerks is a definite.

devocean
26-02-2005, 06:37 AM
They can also do some considerable damage to your ears as well. Crayman had a mate once who descended on a 14 foot tiger swimming in a big rut at the reef. I had another mate at the end of the rut which was about 50 metres away. Anyway he went down poked the tiger but the spear didnt prime the bullet and it didnt work. Well the shark took off down the rut. Other mate 50 m away turns round to see tiger coming straight for him. Luckily the tiger turned away. That tiger was a pest it followed us all day.

crayman
26-02-2005, 09:23 AM
yeah your ears will ring for some time after. Make sure you hit it hard enough to go bang because you might be lucky and she will swim of or just get more intent on eating you. What depths are you diving to now? believe it or not turtles can be just as bad as some small sharks. i got bitten up north by one and he left a nasty gash on my hip and gut. i dived down in a hole and he came out of it we scared each other and he just ploughed straightinto me and then bight me and kept swimming right over me scared the sh^&*t out of me for a while. My mate recons he wanted my crayfish but missed and got me. 8 internal and 19 external stichs and i am good as gold. :P

raefpud
26-02-2005, 11:14 AM
Yaaaaaaaay...........I knew there was a reason i loved turtles so much - crayman, hahaha, actually I'm openwater PADI qualified, scared of sharks and sea snakes i think not, i wouldnt be much good at my job if that was the case. Being a pro cray diver i doubt you have ever used anything but a hooker rig.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
26-02-2005, 02:50 PM
i reckon the nastiest of gods creature's underwater are the eels - SATAN IN A SOCK !! [smiley=devil.gif] they are. Its amazing how their aggression can overcome your concious knowledge that they can't kill - just hurt.

DICER
01-03-2005, 05:47 AM
I have also been attacked by a turtle, but remained unscathed. I was diving at Flat Rock with a german girl, a big turtle came by north of the rock in 15 meters midwater (40 metre depth) and she decided to have a ride. Little known to her, it turned and saw me 8 metres away. She didn't have the strength to hold on for very long and it flicked her off and head straight for me, the big mouth snapping silently more and more as it came towards me. As it came closer I could see a whole pile of ~60lb line hanging out it's mouth and boy was it pissed. I turned on my back and brought my fins up close to my body. When it was completely ON me I gave it a god almighty push up and away - f**k. Fortunately it didn't stay around long and when we surfaced my buddy said to me "wasn't that turtle great". Expletive, expletive expletive.

But I believe it is legal for a scuba diver to cary a powerhead for self defence.

DICER

devocean
01-03-2005, 08:29 AM
Ive had a couple of turtles have a snap but I was riding on the back powerful buggers. Wobbegongs worr me when I am spearing crays. They seem to always be aroubnd them and they often swim in and try to get them after they are speared. I hear when they bite they dont let go so they can drown you easily. Got to love spearing though

dynamicspot
02-03-2005, 02:10 AM
Be very carefull don't spear a wobby i can tell you 100 % it will bite you even if it is speared a mate an me were diving at tweed river when he decided to grab one on the tail what a mistake it turned around and bit him on the shoulder and yes they will not let go it was still hanging on him at the 3 min deco so be warned he got no stiches but a bruised shoulder that left him out of action for a week they also like to grab bright coloured fins if your up this way pm me and i will take you to a few spots for parrot crays sweetlip

greg

Boxhead
03-03-2005, 01:51 PM
Spearfishing is a LEGITAMITE PASSTIME. I have been a spearo for 20 years and I would challenge anyone who thinks spearfishing is a piece of piss to jump in the water and give it a go before dribbling about something they know nothing about. Do you see any spearfishing charter boats out there? No, don't think so..... and if someone wants to make a point about conserving fish, then go and chain yourself to the front of a trawler which in 1 night will kill more fish then you or I may catch in a lifetime....... [smiley=end.gif]

devocean
03-03-2005, 02:38 PM
Agree boxhead its not like shooting fish in a barrel liike evrybody belives

dynamicspot
05-03-2005, 02:42 AM
TURE GUYS I CALL IT SELECTIVE FISHING AND YOU DONT SPEAR WHAT YOU DONT NEED OR WANT APART FROM SPEARING IT GOOD TOM SEE OTHER MARINE LIFE IN IT NATURAL PLACE

GREG