PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Tailor

Beggsy
05-06-2002, 11:52 AM
Folks,

I've been catching a few Tailor lately and just been bunging them in the freezer.
I just read some info on Tailor that says they're no good to eat once frozen.
Can anyone give me some advice ?
Can I eat em or are they just good for bait now ?

imported_admin
05-06-2002, 01:02 PM
There is no problem with freezing Tailor, apparently the trick is with the thawing out and cooking.

A cheif mate of mine has told me that he freezes tailor and cooks it without any problems. The trick seems to be that you do not let it thaw completely, this is when it will turn to mush as the flesh will absorb the moisture as it thaws.

Only allow it to half thaw or less and then drop it in a hot pan. Apparently this will evaporate the moisture instead of it being absorbed into the flesh. I haven't tried it as I rarely eat fish, but he swears by it.

jaybee
05-06-2002, 04:45 PM
Like steve said and with other fish if you are thawing fillets crumb them before they thaw completly and put them back into the fridge to soften a bit more(try and keep ya fridge around 40 f 4c), If using a batter then fry straight away make sure the fat is smoking and 3 mins max..beware of hot splatter tho from the moisture.. good chewin.
cheers.

bugman
06-06-2002, 04:54 AM
Beggsy,
At the very least Tailor are fantastic fish to use in fish cakes and Thai balls.
Whip them in the blender with some chillies, lemongrass, bazil, garlic, ginger, eschallots, breadcrumbs or cooked rice and fry until golden brown in sesame seed oil.
Fantastic !!!
I think I'll defrost some for dinner tonight.
bugman

jaybee
06-06-2002, 05:16 AM
Hey bugman did you get that recipe out of a book if so whats the name of it, if not you got anymore .. sounds really yummie have copied this recipe for further use.
cheers.

Beggsy
06-06-2002, 06:02 AM
Thanks Folks,

I was getting a bit concerned that I'd ruined some really nice fish........

Gotta try the Thai balls Bugman - thanks heaps.

bugman
06-06-2002, 10:40 AM
Sort of made that recipe up over time,
Forgot to add
Add sweet chilli sauce and fish sauce into the blender,
Get the mixture to a sticky type texture then you can either role it in breadcrumbs or mix in some cooked wild rice (my favourite) and then the breadcrumbs before frying.
I'll try and work out the right amounts tonight when I cook mine up and then post them back here tomorrow.
Bugman

jaybee
06-06-2002, 11:06 AM
Thanks bugman looking forward to trying it out. I have been talked into going down the coast chasing tailor next friday week.. yummo

Maverick
07-06-2002, 11:24 AM
Does sound good bugman. I like to smoke them when they have been put in the freezer. Let them half thaw and then whack them in a brine for 20 minutes before smoking. They absolutely melt in your mouth.... ;D ;D

Beggsy
07-06-2002, 12:24 PM
Thanks Maverick,

But aren't they a bit hard to light when they've been soaking in brine??
And how do you keep the TallyHo's dry ?

jaybee
07-06-2002, 03:08 PM
Hey Maverick what sort of smoker do you use. I now have what they call a water smoker have done 3 small hams in it plus whole chickens..fish fillets take around 2 hours..just come across a blueprint for a cold smoker for doing hams and whole fish where u smoke em for up to 7 days..hey i even did some muscles the other week come up great.

Volvo
09-06-2002, 06:21 AM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm1.gif Just try this method as is what i do with the local Salmon we catch up here and it too is only good eaten fresh or so they say Lol.
First off when i fillet i let all water or excess moisture escape from fillet and then i freeze in the thick plastic Zip up bags, buy em from keel Brothers,Steggles wholesalers or such.
AND when thawing out or should i say after having thawed i soak em in Milk for a short time and this somehow or other seems ta put the flavour back again.
The bags seem ta stop your fillet from fallin ta pieces after thawing.
Give it a try what have ya ta lose, always fall back ta fishcakes lol.
Cheers

Maverick
09-06-2002, 03:54 PM
Nice one Beggsy :) :) That's a new concept I hadn't thought of!!

That sounds like a cracker of a smoker you've got Jaybee. I've got one of those little 'Nipper Kipper' boxes. It seems to do the job and I'm not kidding about the tailor....they'd put a horn on a jellyfish ;D ;D ;D

The brine I use is 600ml water, 1 tblsp rich brown sugar & 3 tblsp of salt. Soak them for 20 minutes before whacking them in the smoker and bob's your uncle. Anyone else got a decent brine worth trying???

Cheers, Maverick

jaybee
11-06-2002, 06:12 AM
Hi Maverick
I have a couple of different brine recipes but the one you are using is about the best. I sometimes put a few herbs and spices in the brine..or in the water cooler in the bottom of the smoker. I bought the bigger smoker so I could do whole fish and more fillets I still have the small one and take it away with me when I go on extended trips. What I have found out is because of the heat that the nipper kipper puts out it is classed as kippering..but hey who cares still taste good..I am looking at trying my hand at cold smoking..it is done over 7 days and gives the fish a longer shelf life.
cheers.

Daniel_Christensen
16-11-2005, 07:23 PM
hey maverick,

do u have a recipe for brining pilchards for bait?

cheers..

Tony_N
17-11-2005, 07:37 AM
If Steve is right that the disintegration of the flesh and the loss of taste is due to water affecting it during thawing, it might be worthwhile packing the fish in salt to thaw it.

Mate of mine has always argued that tailor are fine to freeze as long as you don't use fresh water in the cleaning process - ie clean your fish in sea water.

Tony

masterdusky
17-11-2005, 08:47 AM
As already mentioned u gotto make sure u really pat the fillets dry before u freeze them..... but IMO I would just prefer to smoke them,much much better,once u try ur own homemade smoked fillets u will never look back...there will be no need to freeze fish anymore!:D

dnej
17-11-2005, 10:05 AM
People have been saying for years that tailor dont freeze well, and I have been freezing them for 40 years, with no problems.

I use an electric knife, and cut through the fillets, frozen,like a mac steak, then pan cook them frozen.
I must have lucked onto something, by the sounds of things.

I also cook fillets in the normal manner, and they to, are usually partially frozen.
David

bigmack
17-11-2005, 10:22 AM
Our tailor thaw out fine - and then.......................they get 8/0's inserted into them and wired shut at the front and trolled for Spaniards. And mate - they just go off. he he he.

I like the idea of a smoker - how long will smoked fish keep and how long can keep it for. Im planning to do some spicy peppered spaniard bits.

Thanks in advcne
Phill